Job Network
Sponsored by

Engineer Looking in Austin

2,184 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wjs94
Prove It Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey everyone. I know the job market is tough right now but I thought I would post on here to see if anyone could help me out. I graduated from A&M in 2009 with a BS in Chemical Engineering and have worked in the oil and gas industry ever since. I also started an online MBA last August for career development when oil prices tanked and activity at my company dropped significantly. Well, I was let go late last year and I've been searching for a new job ever since. Here is my career path, all on the completions side of the oil and gas industry:

• I started out as a field engineer and then moved into technical sales at an oil and gas services company.
  • I moved from the service company into an engineering role with an operator where I was let go at the end of 2016 due to oil prices and activity levels dropping.
  • I moved back into sales with a startup service company.
  • I was then recruited back to an engineering role with an operator in Austin. I was hesitant to leave Houston in the oil and gas industry, but at the time I thought it would be better for me to be with a big operator than a small startup service company. I was let go from the operator at the end of 2020.

So now I'm living in Austin with 11 years of oil and gas experience on my resume and 2 layoffs which is not ideal, especially since there aren't many oil and gas companies in Austin. I would ideally like to stay in Austin but I'm also open to relocate somewhere else in Texas for the right position. I've tried applying to other industries such as tech or renewables in Austin with a rebranded resume of project engineering, project management, customer success roles but I'm not having much luck. I have also applied at a few oil and gas positions I see in Houston, Dallas, Midland and San Antonio. I've had a handful of interviews and made it pretty far with 2 companies but still no offers.

Anyone have any leads in the Austin area? Anyone know of a renewable or tech company is Austin willing to look at an engineer with all oil and gas operations experience? I'd love to learn to code or software engineering but I don't have the funds or time with my full time job search and ongoing MBA program.
BurnetAggie99
Project Manager position City of Austin maybe something you look into

https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/87069
paperback
Chemical Engineer. That's not some light in the loafers degree. My hat is off to you. If I can do nothing else on here but tell you that you're a special breed, I can do that. Have faith in yourself, you've accomplished much, and you will accomplish much more. I wish that I could offer more help but you will find out that you won't need it; use those resources in your head that got you a really valuable degree and you will be fine.
RGRAg1/75
AG
More of an entry level position, but your Chem E undergrad is desirable for this billet:

https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/3178246
Prove It Ag
AG
Thanks for the replies, I have applied to the positions posted.
tamc91
AG
I would think that any of the semiconductor manufacturers and similar tech companies around town would have the need for chemical engineers.
texpert68
AG
Look into Whitewater Midstream. They are in Austin and hiring, just not sure about engineering roles.
Riding Pony Upon My Boat
AG
Follow your leads until they fulfill or fizzle.
wjs94
SKG engineering in San Angelo is hiring. They are a well established company . Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.