Job Network
Sponsored by

Design a simple home office

3,157 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DallasAg 94
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Building a house and want to start thinking through my home office. It will be located at the front of the house; roughly 10x11. Sliding doors of some kind for the entry on the left wall and a large window on the bottom wall (west facing) side. I don't need anything fancy and won't have the budget to do whatever I want, but I am hoping for some nice built-ins and book space. Possibly a small recliner if the room allows.

What suggestions do you home office pros have as far as built-in space, functionally, layout etc. as well as any electrical or computer related advice? Right now I have a typical laptop with docking station and two monitors.

Thanks!
DripAG08
AG
Floor plugs are a must.
JamesPShelley
10andBOUNCE said:

Possibly a small recliner if the room allows.

Trade it in for an oversized leather recliner... some pillows... and an extension cord. Unless you need a flat surface to park pen and paper. For that you'll need a 10x11 cell.

Pics when completed. Cheers!
coolerguy12
AG
AustinAg008 said:

Floor plugs are a must.

Literally just had one added in mind when we replaced the floors. Had to have it.
coastalaggie
AG
1. Ergo work station
2. For flooring, install anything but carpet. It totally sucks trying to wheel pack your chair in it.
3. TV prep and mount if you need some background noise.
4. If the builder doesn't do this, make sure they run a conduit for your office's data cable. If he doesn't, I am sure he will let you rough it in yourself
5. Beef up the insulation or put sound suppression material in the wall in the event the family is home while you're working to mitigate distraction from the noise they are making.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Rudyjax
AG
Do you have dogs? Front of the house by the door if you have dogs can be rough if you're on conference calls.
aTm2004
AG
If it's west facing, I would highly suggest a clear ceramic tint on the windows. Our old house faced west (built in '08) and the energy efficient windows didn't help with the afternoon heat during the summer. We put on the tint, and it became a completely different room.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks for a good suggestions.

No dogs - shouldn't be an issue. Agreed on sound proofing. Good suggestions on floor plugs. Good call on window treatments - I know I will need something for late afternoons.

I'll have to think through the electrical/conduit since that is more a foreign language to me. We have thought about a small media/smart closet right behind the living room in middle of the house, and I would want that to be also wired to the office in my mind. Rest of the house can be on WiFi.

Right now going back and forth on paying the premium for built-ins or just some nice furniture that would be about half the price.

coastalaggie
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Thanks for a good suggestions.

No dogs - shouldn't be an issue. Agreed on sound proofing. Good suggestions on floor plugs. Good call on window treatments - I know I will need something for late afternoons.

I'll have to think through the electrical/conduit since that is more a foreign language to me. We have thought about a small media/smart closet right behind the living room in middle of the house, and I would want that to be also wired to the office in my mind. Rest of the house can be on WiFi.

Right now going back and forth on paying the premium for built-ins or just some nice furniture that would be about half the price.

Yes... must have. We have one and it a must if you are AV and IT intense.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
JoeOlson
AG
Why do you want Sliding Doors btw? We ended up getting a much thicker door for sound suppression and I have no regrets!

As many plugs as possible, direct line for Ethernet / Phone. Are you planning on putting in a bookshelf or any built ins?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Open on what door system. What did you do? It's off the main foyer so would like something inviting.

Built ins are up in the air. Trying to decide on spending 5k on builds or 2k on some decent furniture.
Buford Tannen
AG
AustinAg008 said:

Floor plugs are a must.

This. Bought a new build with an office that doesn't have them. Wish it did.
Chase
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Open on what door system. What did you do? It's off the main foyer so would like something inviting.

Built ins are up in the air. Trying to decide on spending 5k on builds or 2k on some decent furniture.
Built-ins are nice for what you currently intend the room for but it might be better the buy furniture instead of doing the built-ins.if that room isn't a home office in 5 years or you are selling the home.
histag10
AG
If it hasnt been said, build in a fireproof document safe. So much easier than trying to find the space to accommodate one after the fact.
DallasAg 94
10andBOUNCE
AG
Great insights!

This is going to be more of a practical space but I may end up allowing it to be a space I can hangout in to watch a ballgame, do some reading or have a cocktail in solitude

Good advice on lighting and sound. I used to do the typical office job but our company now is moving to the office of the future - so I'll be doing a lot of video conferencing, calls, etc. We'll be on two acres so exterior sound shouldn't be too much of a consideration.

My wife homeschools our only son who is a ball of energy so we'll need to figure out privacy when I need it - we are very relaxed about it now and it's fine for now. I assume we'll do Ethernet drops anywhere that makes some sense - I'd rather have the option that not have it at all.

Thanks again!
DallasAg 94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.