Job Network
Sponsored by

Ever just quit your job with nothing lined up?

7,170 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oldschool87
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been at my job 19+ years now. I feel like Peter from Office Space- I show up, zone out (thanks TA), and only actually do 15 minutes of work. I honestly don't know what else I would do since I've been there so long but I fantasize about walking in a quitting on the spot. Anyone here ever been so fed up you did just that?
Inca
AG
Yes, 20 years ago. But, talked it over with my husband and we were okay without my income. Luckily, I found a new job by the time my unused vacation pay ran out.

But, in today's economic climate, I would have to be very financially secure to quit a job without another one lined up.
98Ag99Grad
AG
No doubt. This is mainly me venting and yelling at the clouds. My wife would shoot me if I ever went through with it.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Yup. Had an amazing year traveling the world. Single, had some good savings, and in my 20's so I had very little to tie me down.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Have you tried looking for another job yet? Had many interviews so you can gauge how marketable you would be if you did decide to leave? I would start there. I have left before without anything lined up and it was during the downturn of 2008 so I completely understand but its a LOT easier to get a job when you already have one. Trust me on this
mAgnoliAg
AG
If I ever leave, I'm starting my own company doing the same thing. Lots of things piss me off and make me think about it once every week or so. I need to work on a business plan for when it does become time. I know I would be successful and make a lot more money but it's still a big risk and burden to go after.
Mmetag10
AG
Yes once. President of the company was pointing a gun at us to "check his scope". Went to my desk called my wife and said i have to quit right now. (She already knew i hated my job). Didn't tell her why i quit till i got home. One of the best decisions i ever made.
AtlAg05
AG
What type of company? I have to assume a gun manufacturer, right?

No need to name the company but I'm trying to figure out a scenario where this could even happen.
78bc3
AG
Please take a look at these resources.
Overview of career resources for Former Students
---------
Job Search Resource and Workbook for Former Students
http://careercenter.tamu.edu/Documents/Handouts/Answer-Book-for-Former-Students-(2016-revised).aspx

we can be reached at fscshelp@tamu.edu
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
Mmetag10
AG
Nope. It was a manufacturer but nothing to do with weapons. Dude just lost it. Didn't care about people at all.
ukbb2003
Yep, about 4.5 years ago. Boss wanted we to do some unethical things. I walked in his office and told him I was resigning and today is my last day.
Green2Maroon
AG
Got axed from a miserable dead end job two years ago. I had planned to quit anyway in a couple months. Glad I got out of there and moved to a new city.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Been at my job 19+ years now. I feel like Peter from Office Space- I show up, zone out (thanks TA), and only actually do 15 minutes of work. I honestly don't know what else I would do since I've been there so long but I fantasize about walking in a quitting on the spot. Anyone here ever been so fed up you did just that?

Why not moonlight at something you're good at. You need something to bring you excitement.
FamousAgg
Mmetag10 said:

Nope. It was a manufacturer but nothing to do with weapons. Dude just lost it. Didn't care about people at all.

I would have quit and retired with the lawsuit money...
JABQ04
AG
Does getting out of the Army count? I figured I'd just go work on a drilling rig somewhere but.....the last quarter of 2014 wasn't so friendly. Ended up with a good gig less than three months after getting out.
RangerRick9211
AG
I'm currently on sabbatical from my firm. I did 7 years in engineering, MBA and almost 3 years in Big 4 - so 10 years of work. I was just gassed from work, firm life and a 2 year old as my desk mate (wife is an NP, so she never transitioned to WFH).

I almost resigned in August with nothing lined up. I talked through some of my issues with my management and I'm on paid leave for November and December. However, we're big savers (another reason I'm huge on FIRE - it gives you options like quitting) and my spouse's comp could cover all expenses. So the lever was there if I needed it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yes. Way back when I was far younger and single. Was at Texaco as a contract employee being paid very little for IT work and some software development. I had been told that I was to be hired full-time, but then there was an issue where someone in the New York office complained about Texaco's very generous treatment of contract employees (they treated us almost equivalent to full-timers, other than the salary/benefits thing), and next thing I knew, everything changed. The environment in that office went to hell in a handbasket. I ended up reporting to a woman who clearly wanted nothing to do with me; she put me into an office that was more akin to a closet. One Friday morning I went in and told them I was done. I did that with nothing lined up for the following Monday, but I was back in full-time work two months later.

I would never do this kind of thing now.
Ulrich
No, but I came very close. I had an intolerable job/manager and had set a date when I was going to quit no matter what. Got a job offer days before my deadline.
zooguy96
I hate teaching, but apparently I'm very good at it. I've been applying for a year or so (gotten more interviews), but need to network more in order to find a new position. Teaching (and other things) make that almost impossible to do.
BrazosDog02
AG
Sure. People get laid off and do what you're talking about every single day.
infinity ag
98Ag99Grad said:

I have never, but my wife did in Sept. She was fed up of the bad hours and working with overseas teams so she told me and quit. Then she found a contract job in about 6 weeks which she is doing right now.

Men are usually averse to quitting without anything on hand. Women don't usually have such issues.
AggieC07
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

It seems like a great time to start looking for other roles, sounds like you would have plenty of time to interview and apply for jobs.

Always_Right
AG
Life is too short to be unhappy and unfulfilled, start looking and applying for opportunities that will challenge and help you grow.
GoAgs92
AG
Start a side business in your "spare" time.
JoeAggie5
Thought about it many times, but the pay is good and it provides for my family. I enjoy the challenge of the job, and I'm good at it, but it's not very fulfilling. I'm getting some pretty good experience currently that I think will help when the timing is right.
O.G.
Yep. Got accused of something by the company owners then 22yr old son. 22 with zero college or real world experience and no where nearly as smart as he thought he was.

The company folded about a year later. The owner/founder died a couple years later in central america and the last I heard the then 22yr old was borderline homeless.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Yes.

I started in January. In February, I was sent to babysit a, let's say "government," inspector. After 6 hours being with the inspector, she asked me when she would be so privileged to actually observe what she came to observe. All I could say was "this is the only location I was instructed to show you." She wasn't dumb. I almost walked that day but I had just relocated for this job, signed a lease, etc, etc.

The following month in March, I was called to the company headquarters for a meeting with the executive team. They told Me I had done an excellent job gaining the trust of their workforce and mingled my way into their culture surprisingly fast. However, they said I was being too nice and needed to lay the hammer down on the workforce to demand improvement. I told them point blank that goes against my morals and they were lucky I was still employed and not reporting them to that "government" agency. One of the VP's asked if that was my resignation? I told them I would think about it and walked out. I turned in my stuff the following day. They had the nerve to call me back and request their phone charger. Apparently I returned the company iPhone with just the phone and cord - not the block for the wall plug. I told them they could find it in the mail.

I was relocated and started a new job by the end of April.

Money does crazy things to people. This story occurred in 2013. It's already been mentioned in this thread about what happened to the oilfield in Q4 the following year. 2011-2014 were some wild years in the oilfield service world. This is one of the tame stories.
oldschool87
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Spent 15 years at a company you probably use your tax software from. Got riffed out with a nice package. I did not even update, well nobody updates after 15 years, did not even start making a new resume until month 7. Told the wife I will be back at work around month 9 or 10.

Best decision I ever made! Would do it again in a heartbeat! It is absolutely liberating!!!!!!!!!

I am working hard to retire early, before I do come in and clean fish on my desk!

If you can do it, do it. Nobody lies on their death bed and says, if only I got one more TPS report done. Your company while great, does not give a rats ass about you. If you stop performing your out....

QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aglaes
AG
Been kind of thinking that instead of waiting to 65 for full retirement, I may take a year off at 59-1/2 to do some traveling while still young and healthy enough - you never know what the future has in store. Then go back part time and sort of be semi-retired until age 65/67 when SS and medicare kick in. I'm 58 now.
oldschool87
AG
aglaes said:

Been kind of thinking that instead of waiting to 65 for full retirement, I may take a year off at 59-1/2 to do some traveling while still young and healthy enough - you never know what the future has in store. Then go back part time and sort of be semi-retired until age 65/67 when SS and medicare kick in. I'm 58 now.

I created a SS, PM me and I'll send it to anyone who wants it. But it compares SS at every age, ie, if I start taking it at 62, how does that compare?

The short answer is, sometime around age 79 everything is equal. You have gotten about 450k plus or minus 10k, no matter what age you start!

If you think your going to live to be 90, 65 is most efficient. Anyone waiting till 70 is throwing money away!!!

Also remember any dollar you can leave in a fund or interest beating account is worth 2 or 3x what the SS dollar is worth. So you absolutely do not spend a 401k dollar before a free dollar...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.