Job Network
Sponsored by

Current job market and salary questions

3,952 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texAZtea
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently unemployed and looking. Seems the what are you currently making (previous position) and what are your desired salary questions are way more prevalent now. I'm pretty sure I've been asked in every first round hr interview I've had. In the past, I've been vague and tried to push it back on them. But, in the past, I always had a current job to fall back on.

I even had one person try to walk through my resume asking what I made at every position I've had throughout my 10 year career.

I mean what gives? Is the market so deep they are seeing what talent they can get at the lowest price? Is this the norm and I've never really noticed?

I'm tempted to start going in lower than what I expect just to land somewhere then continue my job search. I've been trying to avoid this but seems to be what companies are doing, so might as well.
Koko Chingo
AG
This gets tougher while being unemployed.

Early in the process, I have always said, "Lets see if we are a good fit for each other before we talk salary."

I would most likely abandon that strategy if I were unemployed for some time. I would make sure the mortgage is paid then keep looking.

I hate companies that push to see what your previous salary was. I receive that as you do not care about me or my value to the organization. You care about how cheap you can get me. In turn my loyalty and allegiance would reflect that.

-- What type of position are you looking for?
-- Any specific companies you are looking at?
-- In what city (or metros) are you looking?

htxag09
AG
Most of my career is in supply chain management, most recent position was category management. I also have 4 years of outside sales experience. But ideally would like a supply chain position.

Most my experience is in oil and gas. Obviously looking outside the industry now and am open to any and all industries.

Issue I'm running into is category management type positions are all requiring industry experience. More entry-5 year level positions are saying I'm over qualified and think I'll bail once I get a chance.

I'm in Houston. Open to travel but not relocation as the wife has a really good job and we are expecting our first next month.
AG
It's normal to ask about your salary expectations in the HR pre-screen.

I agree that it's best if you can avoid giving a range and try to get them to provide one first, although it can be difficult.

You can try to be vague and say something like I'm looking for a competitive salary but I'd need to understand the entire benefits package, can you walk me through the salary range and benefits?

If they don't bite you can always try something like:
I know the average salary for this position is $X-$Y in this area, is that in line with what you're offering?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Also keep in mind that in some states/jurisdictions it is illegal to ask questions pertaining to your current or previous salary info. Most companies get around this by asking about what are your comp expectations vs what is your current or last comp.
JamesPShelley
If your resume reveals #, $, and % illustrated examples of your employment-associated "results and accomplishments" it will be far easier to quantify, and qualify, your salary requirements.

Let the employer... the recipient, of your resume do the math. Whether you realize it, or even believe it, the language in your resume is the first "reveal" of what may be your salary requirement. A "sharp" HR agent will know what to look for. Many don't. Help them.

The resume "math" should reveal that you may be a candidate who will "pay for themselves". If you can cause an employer to SEE that math...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Don't play games with them. They ask what you are looking for, you say I was making X at my last job and would like to be in that neighborhood. Tell them you understand conditions have changed recently any you understand that it might affect the salary.

No sense jerking each other around. If the job is really two notches below where you should be, you really will leave asap. Don't be a jerk and just be real. Most of them will appreciate you being frank and up front. You aren't going to out coy a half decent pro at this.
78bc3
AG
James makes a great point. From a good business perspective HR really needs to consider total cost of a hire, not simply unit cost. Experience and prior success usually indicate fewer mistakes and higher production potential.
but you are still being screened by HR. Consider submitting your resume to HR (because it is usually a requirement);
Then ...reach out to team members or managers to confirm what you are learning about their needs related to projects, strategic goals, special skills they need or will be needing.

Second - assume their competition has similar needs but aren't advertising since they don't want to read resumes all night. You might prefer to work for that competition anyway. They may find their talent using the hidden job market where they don't have to feed vendors like Linkedin, Ladders, Indeed.....

The Former Student webinars can show you resources, strategy and tactics to help you navigate the hidden job market. The registration link for Wednesday, 18 Nov at noon is..
https://tamu.zoom.us/meeting/register/uJ0odOmrpj4tAY4npTzo7qPyxQ12miVXOg
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
Petrino1
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Don't play games with them. They ask what you are looking for, you say I was making X at my last job and would like to be in that neighborhood. Tell them you understand conditions have changed recently any you understand that it might affect the salary.

No sense jerking each other around. If the job is really two notches below where you should be, you really will leave asap. Don't be a jerk and just be real. Most of them will appreciate you being frank and up front. You aren't going to out coy a half decent pro at this.

This is the best advice on this thread. All of the playing coy advice and not giving them a number first is bad advice, it will just make them think you're hiding something. Just be upfront with them and say I'm looking for something in this Range, or I was making x at my last company. You don't have much leverage since you're unemployed at the moment.

I was in this same situation recently. I was upfront and told them I was making X at my last company and I am looking for something in that range, but I am negotiable and salary isn't everything. If you want to Have more leverage then get multiple offers from other companies, then you will be in a position to negotiate better.
Ulrich
1. I typical don't answer questions about what I used to make. Don't see how that is relevant. I leave it blank. If they really push and I really want the job, I'll tell them though.

2. I have no heartburn over being the first one to give a number/range for salary in the new job. I'm confident in the value I bring and that I am asking for a reasonable number, so I'm not going to let them negotiate me out of the range I want. I'm also willing to adjust it up or down based on the full comp package and job responsibilities, and I tell them that. I don't really want to start the relationship off being coy or distrustful, either.

3. Being in a position where you don't already have a job is tough. You may need to be more accommodating and less picky, but don't lose confidence in your value. Don't come off desperate.
JamesPShelley
Ulrich said:

1. I typical don't answer questions about what I used to make. Don't see how that is relevant. I leave it blank. If they really push and I really want the job, I'll tell them though.

That.

It is none... zero... of an employer's business how much I made at my last job. I'll know if they're a company for whom I want to work at that first interview. I've, literally, walked out of interviews when asked about my previous salaries. Without saying a word, walked out. When afterwards I was telephoned about why simply I walked out I told them. "Your company is in the business of making/selling widgets. You KNOW how much talent is worth to perform the tasks and functions associated with your opportunity... and you know how much that talent is worth when a candidate has illustrated examples of performance. I will not consider working for a company that wants to pinch pennies on the talent."

Those are the types of companies... people... for whom you don't want to work. Yes, I've gone hungry. Better that than the feeling of waking to report to a job you hate.

The phone rings both ways.

Have a nice Sunday.
htxag09
AG
A couple things, first, thanks all for the advice. We're pretty luck in that my wife has a good job so we have insurance. We've also lived well within our means so aren't struggling so I've been able to not "settle" just to pay bills. But I'm getting pretty stir crazy not working.

And the above is more what has been eyebrow raising to me. Literally every company I've talked to has asked for previous position salary in addition to expected salary. I get making sure we're in range of each other to not waste time, but it truly seems some companies are just using this as an opportunity to get market data on salaries. As mentioned in my OP, I had one company try going through my resume and asking what I made at my previous three companies over 10 years. How is that relevant? I've also had a couple hr "interviews" where they asked what I made at my last position and received an automated "we've decided to no longer hire someone for this position" email a couple weeks later.
ATM9000
AG
You are absolutely right... companies are asking to gauge market value for what they are seeking. I never advocate answering anything about current or last salary.

However, you need to tell them what you want instead... the only way to make hiring actionable is by being transparent with what you'd like to make... a range is fine depending of job responsibilities and benefits. But be direct about compensation expectations or you are wasting everybody including your own time.

People read this on this board and get emotional about it and claim I'm advocating underpaying people when I suggest it. Quite the contrary. I've said this before and I'll say it again: if you leave salary up to most companies to determine, they are going to put it into the HR machine and it is highly likely you aren't gonna like their answer. As a hiring manager, it is way easier for me to go to my HR and boss and say I want this person and we can have them for $X than it is for me to ask for HR to run comps then offer you something you don't like and have to convince people you are worth more than the comps after the fact. I've had about an 80% success rate with the former and 25% rate in the latter.
Astroag
AG
ea1060 said:

This is the best advice on this thread. All of the playing coy advice and not giving them a number first is bad advice, it will just make them think you're hiding something. Just be upfront with them and say I'm looking for something in this Range, or I was making x at my last company. You don't have much leverage since you're unemployed at the moment.

I was in this same situation recently. I was upfront and told them I was making X at my last company and I am looking for something in that range, but I am negotiable and salary isn't everything. If you want to Have more leverage then get multiple offers from other companies, then you will be in a position to negotiate better.
Disagree 1000% percent. They should tell you what they are willing to pay. What I made at my last roles is in no way relevant to this role. It assumes the roles and companies are the same as well as my circumstances when I was at the previous company. If you give them a range expect to see a number at or near the bottom of the range.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Petrino1
Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

Disagree 1000% percent. They should tell you what they are willing to pay. What I made at my last roles is in no way relevant to this role. It assumes the roles and companies are the same as well as my circumstances when I was at the previous company. If you give them a range expect to see a number at or near the bottom of the range.

I work in HR and have worked for some of the biggest companies in the world. I've probably hired over 1000 people in my career. But hey what do I know right lol!

Your advice of making the company say a number first might work for a gainfully employed and well paid individual, but for the OP who is unemployed it might not make as much sense. I've dealt with candidates who refused to tell me what salary they were looking for and trust me it's a huge turnoff to everyone involved in the hiring process.
JamesPShelley
ea1060 said:

Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

I've probably hired over 1000 people in my career. But hey what do I know right lol!

That.
Astroag
AG
ea1060 said:

Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

I work in HR and have worked for some of the biggest companies in the world. I've probably hired over 1000 people in my career. But hey what do I know right lol!

Your advice of making the company say a number first might work for a gainfully employed and well paid individual, but for the OP who is unemployed it might not make as much sense. I've dealt with candidates who refused to tell me what salary they were looking for and trust me it's a huge turnoff to everyone involved in the hiring process.
1. Telling them what you think a particular role should be compensated at and what you made at your last role are two completely different things.
2. HR is supposed to be the SME in the space, why wouldn't you tell the applicant what the market says the role is worth?
3. Your implication that its fine to pay someone less than the market because they are unemployed is pretty disappointing
4. I think the fact that its a turnoff when someone expects a hiring/comp SME to lead a conversation on hiring/comp speaks more about HR than it does about the applicant

Just my .02

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
ATM9000
AG
Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

1. Telling them what you think a particular role should be compensated at and what you made at your last role are two completely different things.
2. HR is supposed to be the SME in the space, why wouldn't you tell the applicant what the market says the role is worth?
3. Your implication that its fine to pay someone less than the market because they are unemployed is pretty disappointing
4. I think the fact that its a turnoff when someone expects a hiring/comp SME to lead a conversation on hiring/comp speaks more about HR than it does about the applicant

Just my .02

HR is never gonna be able to quantify and value all of your experience properly because of how bespoke it is. And I'll say it again: nobody pays for the role that you do... they pay for the experience and skills that you bring to the table. Case in point: a Fortune 500 company would never hire an undergrad to the c-suite to save a dime.

End of the day, managers (not HR) are nearly always incentivized for their own deliverables and priorities. As a hiring manager, I don't get bonuses or accolades if somebody comes and works for my team for 20k lower than average or whatever. And I'm disincentivized to bring anybody in lower than market because I'll just lose the resource if they are worth a damn pretty quickly.

So... think about that. If I select you and you've given me no numbers to shoot for and are just asking me to guess, you are right... I'm probably just asking HR to run comps and send you an offer. Knowing that they are highly likely to not fully value your bespoke skillset, you are just setting yourself up for a crappy offer. Now, the other side of this is if you tell me a range or number (hell make the low end the floor of what would make you move assuming your same benefits), you've given me as a manager something actionable to get a deal done... I can either get you what your are asking or not... but at least you've got somebody who is personally incentivized and vested in your hire actioning your asks vs. HR who almost for sure commodicizes your skillset a hell of a lot more.

That's why not telling a company what you want upfront is really not great negotiating.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Petrino1
ATM9000 said:

Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

Just my .02

That's why not telling a company what you want upfront is really not great negotiating.
This. Hypothetically, lets say Im interviewing a candidate who refuses to tell me their salary expectations and they demand to know what the salary range is. I say ok the range is $100-130k/year and they say ok thats fine. We end up offering the mid point which is $115k, they come back and say actually thats less than what Im making now, Im making $120k and was looking for $130k/year. All of that back and forth could have been avoided if they had just told me that upfront! This situation happens all the time from friends and family who call me and ask for advice.

Im not saying everyone should disclose their current salary info, but do give the company your salary expectations. Tell them your number, it saves everyone time. I've interviewed for several jobs that were paying less than what I was looking for, but I was able to find that out right away when I told them what I was making. Ive had companies want to interview me without talking about salary first, and I always go back and make sure to have that discussion before taking time off to go interview.

Know your worth, do your research, and be confident in your salary expectations.
Petrino1
Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

Astroag said:

ea1060 said:

2. Salary bands for most jobs have a huge range. It could be $80k-140k. Also, you have to look at internal compensation. Its in the best interest of the team, HR, hiring manager, company not to hire a person with 5 years experience for $100k, when everyone else on the team has 10 years experience and is making $80k. Word gets around and you dont want to have an unhappy workforce. Thats why its hard to tell a candidate exactly what a job pays, because a competent HR team wont pay a person with 5 years experience and a bachelors the same as someone with 20 years experience and an MBA.

3. Im not implying that its fine to pay someone less because they are unemployed. Im saying that an unemployed person has less negotiating leverage than a gainfully employed person, or a person with multiple job offers. Especially in a crappy job market like the current one. I was unemployed recently and had to take a job with less pay because I had no other choice, the job market was tough and I had no other offers. This would not have happened if I had a higher offer or if I was currently employed.
thirty-two
AG

This. When I'm hiring, the last thing I care about is "low balling" someone. I'll have a budget number, and a range for the salary grade of the open position. I want to offer the right candidate the most competitive offer I can... and knowing salary expectations early in the process saves EVERYONE time. Nothing worse than getting to the end, making (or receiving) an offer, only to find out that we are miles apart and there's no way to make it work.

Same goes for me when I interview for other roles... I am more than happy to share the numbers I believe I deserve. I'm almost annoyed if they don't ask. I want to know right from the start if this thing has a chance financially.

Just my opinion.
Ulrich
I always make sure that approximate salary is on the table in the first call or is the very first item on the second call. I won't do the full second call or go to an in-person interview without knowing that our ranges overlap.

Of course, nothing can prevent the situation where you and the hiring manager tentatively agree on a salary and HR comes in a few weeks later with a hard cap of half that. That was a large, well-known company. Another large well-known company got offended when I wasn't willing to take a pay cut and step backward in my career to come work at the greatest company evar. Size is no guarantee that they won't try some dumb stuff, so get to numbers early.
TommyGun
AG
What's your email? I might be able to forward your resume on to a contact of mine. Need to confirm he is still looking for someone.
htxag09
AG
Username at gmail
TommyGun
AG
Email sent
oldschool87
AG
Tell them what you made at your last job.

Remember, your probably not talking to anyone other than an HR Rep, who gets a bump or an atta boy for getting you in the door.

My last job,they said, O, well, yea, we cannot meet that salary, thanks for interviewing. I said, hang on. Make be an offer, lets not just hang up here. She made an offer, I asked if she could bump a little more, and got the job.

Everything is a negotiation, salary is last. Once they want you, you can go from there...

But, I just go with,this was my benefit package at my last job...
SquanchyAg

agreed. I don't understand why people are so hesitant to talk salary. just tell them what you are looking for. if they like you, they'll pay it.
birdman
It isn't a wiener measuring contest.

You aren't losing leverage by giving them a number. Give them a range and move on to the next question Use the second half of your answer to sell yourself. Justify your big number by saying "I managed more than typical number of people" or "I brought it 20% more clients than my peers".

If you don't know what you are worth, I'm not interested in hiring you.

Is the company is trying to save 5% on salary by asking me that question? If so, I likely have slim chance at being hired and probably not interested in long-term with them. Somebody is desperate and will lowball themselves.

You are unemployed. Give them a number. Take the job. Update your resume on first day and start looking.
texAZtea
AG
birdman said:

If you don't know what you are worth, I'm not interested in hiring you.

This sentiment seems weird to me as a technical type guy who has nothing to do with human resources and doesn't have much to do with how much my work is sold for.

Even if I knew to the $ how much I brought in for the company, how would I guess what percentage my labor should be in the expense category?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.