Job Network
Sponsored by

Q: What are employers required to provide or reimburse re supplies or mandatory tools

1,436 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Scruffy
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm talking with a company now and I have some questions about what I should ask for or expect the company to provide or reimburse for, particularly on travel.

Background:
I'm currently in Chicago and don't have a car.
New job would have several sites I would need to visit, but with public transportation or uber that isn't a problem.
One thing HR said was I would need a car to deliver or transfer supplies from site to site.

It's my understanding that as a non-1099 employee, the company is responsible for providing any tools needed for work, including either transportation or a reimbursement/car allowance if travel or use of one's vehicle is required.
Is that the case?
Am I off-base in thinking that if one of the job requirements includes use of a vehicle for company business that they should provide it?
jpd301
AG
We reimburse the employee at the IRS allowable rate for mileage for all miles driven for work purposes e.g. field visits, on site meetings, or delivery of a set of plans to a stubborn client who doesn't want a pdf. We never provide a car allowance or an actual car for the employee. Our company does not own any vehicles and some of our employees may put a few thousand miles a year on their car for work.

We reimburse the employee for actual equipment needed to perform duties (measuring devices, safety PPE, pens, etc)

One of the very few companies in my field that I am aware of that actually provides a car allowance, specifies the employee is only eligible for the allowance if the vehicles is less than 4 years old. I prefer to have mileage reimbursed and no payment.
Koko Chingo
AG
Scruffy said:

Am I off-base in thinking that if one of the job requirements includes use of a vehicle for company business that they should provide it?

A little off base -- It usually depends on the industry and the norms.

It is not required by law and certain industries are more apt to provide a vehicle for employees. For example, the service industry usually provides vehicles. It would be weird to see a a big plumbing contractor require employees to use their own vehicles.

On the other hand, pizza delivery drivers mostly use their own vehicles and put the companies sign on their car.

A very common requirement is bank deposits. Lots of business require employees to use their own vehicle to make deposits in the drive through drop box. For example, when someone makes a bank deposit they are still on the clock and get paid. That is why the person making deposits will leave early, so that they will not get into an overtime situation.

Do the majority of other companies in that industry provide vehicle for their employees?

Are you going to be the only one in your department without a personal vehicle? If so, I would guess sooner or later this will become an issue. Either, public transportation will take too long for their liking or you will get tired or spending time & money on uber and public transportation.

Other than that, employers have to pay you for time worked and provide PPE. A few states have some additional requirements but that's about it for federal law. A lot of auto mechanics and trades people are required to bring their own tools to the job.

jtp01
AG
As a sales rep, company provides me with a vehicle (1-2 year old f150) credit card for all maintenance, tires Car washes and fuel.

tony
AG
Mechanics, welders and many other skilled trades are not provided with tools.
combat wombat™
AG
Scruffy said:

I'm talking with a company now and I have some questions about what I should ask for or expect the company to provide or reimburse for, particularly on travel.

Background:
I'm currently in Chicago and don't have a car.
New job would have several sites I would need to visit, but with public transportation or uber that isn't a problem.
One thing HR said was I would need a car to deliver or transfer supplies from site to site.

It's my understanding that as a non-1099 employee, the company is responsible for providing any tools needed for work, including either transportation or a reimbursement/car allowance if travel or use of one's vehicle is required.
Is that the case?
It sounds like one of the requirements of the job is that you have a vehicle.

If you have not already done so, ask if they reimburse you for business miles at standard IRS rates and if they will reimburse you for any unavoidable job-related parking costs as a result of you having to have a vehicle for work.

Evaluate their offer based upon the total compensation package - including the fact that you will need to get a vehicle... and that you are going to incur additional expenses such as fuel, maintenance, and insurance. You may also have some parking not related to work. But you will be saving on your public transportation costs.

Be aware that none of the job-related expenses are going to be deductible on your personal tax return.
DallasAg 94
Scruffy
AG
Thanks for all the advice and input.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.