Job Network
Sponsored by

Career help - non compete issue

1,413 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by powerbelly
callduff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was just served with a non-compete suit, so I am needing to find a new industry to move to, preferably in the DFW area. I have 10 years of Sales Operations expreience with a software company, I owned my own captive insurance agency for 7 years, and then presently 3 yeers of commercial insurance sales expereince. I have an MBA from U of H, looking for any Sales Management or Operational type roles. Appreciate any guidance or feedback, thanks!

Duff B - '98
duffbourassa@gmail.com
TMoney2007
AG
Have you talked to a lawyer?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Are non-competes even enforceable these days?
callduff
I have, spent about 30k over a two year window with a Lawyer fighting this, and sadly State Farm has deeper pockets apparently.
powerbelly
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

Are non-competes even enforceable these days?
Yes. We have successfully enforced several in the past couple years, but it was people moving to a direct competitor.
colekicker
AG
callduff said:

I have, spent about 30k over a two year window with a Lawyer fighting this, and sadly State Farm has deeper pockets apparently.
You may need to visit with a better lawyer that specializes in non-compete.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
I'm genuinely curious, does it vary by state? Maybe a topic for another thread. I just always hear how they're not enforceable.
powerbelly
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

I'm genuinely curious, does it vary by state? Maybe a topic for another thread. I just always hear how they're not enforceable.

They are very much enforceable in Texas. I have consulted with a few attorneys on ones I have signed and even if overly broad they expect a judge would uphold a limited version. And apparently it depends on the judge, some will uphold and some will let you out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.