Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking for a graphic designer for a logo

2,206 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
PincheDriller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a graphic designer to update a current company logo. Let me know if you can help.
rlb28
AG
fiverr.com
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- Freelancer , start a contest for $X amount and get like 300 different ideas / amounts of effort.

300 ppl putting forth a tiny amount of effort / creativity on a logo vs. 10,000 hrs. of firm time which might not always originate the best logo.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Sent you a PM. Guy that did branding/image/logo work for my firm was excellent and reasonably priced. Has tons of experience and we were really happy with results.
Guardian Angel
AG
We are www.RevoltHealthcare.com

Samantha with Tarragon worked our site, logos, and brand. She knocked it out of the park.

5 out of 5 stars. Would recommend.
https://www.tarragonstudios.com/
FrecklesDad
AG
Sent you a PM
PincheDriller
AG
Appreciate everyone reaching out.
fig96
AG
Shot you a message in case you haven't found anyone yet, this is what I do.
DuckDown2013
AG
Id Reccomend using anchor grey. Located out of Kingwood. Cary is talented and a good Ag. You can find him on Instagram or a simple google search.
fig96
AG
EcoZapp.BCS.Air.Roofing said:

- Freelancer , start a contest for $X amount and get like 300 different ideas / amounts of effort.

300 ppl putting forth a tiny amount of effort / creativity on a logo vs. 10,000 hrs. of firm time which might not always originate the best logo.
A note on this, more as a public service for anyone thinking about it.

I get the sentiment, and on the surface it seems like a good idea. I don't personally like the idea of contests because you've having someone work and not get paid, but on the business side there's also some drawbacks.

To start, most contests don't attract professional designers. You're getting a bunch of students and hobbyists and will often get "borrowed" or recycled work. Do some looking at you'll find lots of examples of folks who found our their logos were stolen, clipart, etc., and the actual ratio of quality submissions can be pretty low.

That being said, I think the quantity over quality argument isn't a great one if you're really trying to develop a identity for your business. If you're looking to truly develop a brand you're not looking for the most ideas, you're looking for the good ones, and if you're not a designer you may not quite know what to ask for.

Rather than having a bunch of designers all spend 30 minutes on your project (which is probably all you're going to get as the only way to make money on these contests is to enter a ton of them), consider the benefit of having one designer actually get to know your business, explore your needs, and look at how your visual identity relates to your overall brand. Your logo is just one part of the bigger picture, and In the long run working with a designer that you can actually have explore ideas with and have productive discussions with is a much better investment IMO.

Just food for thought, sorry for the novel
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
fig96 said:

I get the sentiment, and on the surface it seems like a good idea. I don't personally like the idea of contests because you've having someone work and not get paid, but on the business side there's also some drawbacks.

To start, most contests don't attract professional designers. You're getting a bunch of students and hobbyists and will often get "borrowed" or recycled work. Do some looking at you'll find lots of examples of folks who found our their logos were stolen, clipart, etc., and the actual ratio of quality submissions can be pretty low.

That being said, I think the quantity over quality argument isn't a great one if you're really trying to develop a identity for your business. If you're looking to truly develop a brand you're not looking for the most ideas, you're looking for the good ones, and if you're not a designer you may not quite know what to ask for.

Rather than having a bunch of designers all spend 30 minutes on your project (which is probably all you're going to get as the only way to make money on these contests is to enter a ton of them), consider the benefit of having one designer actually get to know your business, explore your needs, and look at how your visual identity relates to your overall brand. Your logo is just one part of the bigger picture, and In the long run working with a designer that you can actually have explore ideas with and have productive discussions with is a much better investment IMO.

- So , best bet would be to spend ~$300 to $500 to get to hundreds of concepts which might get 90% of the way to a logo, which then can be handed off to a professional firm charging $125+ for 10-50 hours. ( It's not worth the design firms time +1 person does not hold the creative potential of 100's )

We live in a global economy and unless a Start-up has ample supply of funds to burn on a designer, ( logo's and designs don't produce sales; Marketing & Sales Effort produce sales). You can submit a contest tonight before bed an in days you'll have a 100's of logos to choose from, and a few will likely be suitable to carry on further with the designer who made it.

Freelancers that do nothing but design imo are professional designers, just because they are over seas and get paid via competitions, doesn't mean their skill levels are lacking of that of a design firm.

fig96
AG

fig96 said:

- So , best bet would be to spend ~$300 to $500 to get to hundreds of concepts which might get 90% of the way to a logo, which then can be handed off to a professional firm charging $125+ for 10-50 hours. ( It's not worth the design firms time +1 person does not hold the creative potential of 100's )

We live in a global economy and unless a Start-up has ample supply of funds to burn on a designer, ( logo's and designs don't produce sales; Marketing & Sales Effort produce sales). You can submit a contest tonight before bed an in days you'll have a 100's of logos to choose from, and a few will likely be suitable to carry on further with the designer who made it.

Freelancers that do nothing but design imo are professional designers, just because they are over seas and get paid via competitions, doesn't mean their skill levels are lacking of that of a design firm.
Most of the folks on those sites are actually not professional designers, not because of their location but because of their skill level. And really, you shouldn't be after a quantity of ideas, you should be after one good one. But you're missing the bigger point: you don't get to have a conversation with a professional who can actually help your business.

Scenario 1: You write a brief, not really knowing what you're asking for, and a bunch of people try to do a thing. You probably don't quite know what you actually need to ask for through no fault of your own, this just isn't something you do. You give some feedback and get a logo you can use. You have no bigger picture idea on your brand, colors, logo usage for different formats, etc.

Scenario 2: You hire a designer that you have a meeting/call with. They ideally give you something to fill out or do a brand exercise to actually learn about your company, competitors, market, and future plans. You develop a brief with the designer and they create an identity for you, along with a brand manual about how to use the logo, alternate versions for different formats, and ideas on how to keep developing your brand going forward. And you've hopefully established a good professional relationship with someone who can help your design and marketing going forward.

There are lots of good freelancers who will do identity packages for far less than the numbers you're quoting (speaking as one of them myself). And I'm not trying to start an argument, just offering a differing opinion on what I've learned as someone who's done this with dozens of businesses.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Listen to fig's advice. And pay full price when you make a decision. It will go a long way in terms of getting attentive service from who you select.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
guys it's 2020, businesses need to pivot fast & smart .

The time spend talking about this, one could of had 1000's different version of Logos to choose from.

1000's of versions of logos' > hours/ weeks/months spent thinking about the perfect design.

People make buying decisions based on Emotions. When you have 1000 different versions to look at one will Emotionally speak louder than the others... or at least look better for X reasons.

If that logic doesn't make sense, there's $100/hr designers that will give 3 professional options.

Buck Compton
AG

The time spend talking about this, one could of had 1000's different version of Logos to choose from.

1000's of versions of logos' > hours/ weeks/months spent thinking about the perfect design.

People make buying decisions based on Emotions. When you have 1000 different versions to look at one will Emotionally speak louder than the others... or at least look better for X reasons.

If that logic doesn't make sense, there's $100/hr designers that will give 3 professional options.

Serious Question... Is this how you got the logo on your website?
fig96
AG

Gosh, as someone who works in agile development I had no idea businesses needed to pivot quickly. There's also a chance you might not be the only person with business experience here.

Either way you seem pretty intent on ignoring any actual points being made, so I'll leave you to it.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
No. The current logo was altered in about 15 mins with Adobe. "New HVAC & Roofing" was added to it for 2020. www.EcoZappPest.com more resembles our original now ~10 years ago.

The original logo with 'leaves/ pest control' I pretty much designed in Architecture school. I then wasted ~$1,300 to have it "professionally" done by a firm giving me 3 color options basically and a printout.. I then wasted like $1,500 getting our 1st truck professionally 'designed' with the graphics/ logo.. They literally almost added no value for ~$3,000.

Our Vans are way more complex which involved back and forth with Freelancers on. I would have spent easily $10k with a design firm on my vans ( small details are very time consuming irl altering / fitting graphics on a real van).

- At least getting hundreds of ideas / actual logo options for maybe $200-500 before spending $1,000's on a professional designer seems like a good idea. I can't image what size business this wouldn't make sense for, from Start-up to Fortune 500.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.