Job Network
Sponsored by

Summer Finance/MIS Intership

1,468 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ChickenAndWafflesAg
ChickenAndWafflesAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am reaching out to the Aggie network to see if anyone has any connections that might help my son find an internship this summer. I know the world is in limbo right now but I thought I would try anyway. He has made several contacts on his own already but nothing has come through yet and since this forum helped my older son find his first internship (in engineering) I thought I would see if it could help again. He is a sophomore in the McCombs School of Business (I know I probably just lost half of y'all right there!) majoring in finance and minoring in MIS. He is also getting a certificate in computer science. He has a very strong GPA. Most of his contacts have told him that they don't hire until after junior year and to reapply this fall. He is such a hard worker and would really like to get any experience he can this summer. He is interested in the Austin or Dallas area because he has housing opportunities in both cities already. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and GIg'em '92
jh0400
AG
Depending on what is involved in a CS certificate, I'd recommend looking into interning at a fintech company. It's a super hot space right now.
SidetrackAg
AG
jh0400 said:

Depending on what is involved in a CS certificate, I'd recommend looking into interning at a fintech company. It's a super hot space right now.

What is fintech?
jh0400
AG
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffkauflin/2020/02/12/the-10-biggest-fintech-companies-in-america-2020/
TRM
AG
It's going to be tough finding an internship now. I know our company cancelled summer internship because of CV. I'm sure other companies are doing the same.
JamesPShelley
ChickenAndWafflesAg said:

I am reaching out to the Aggie network to see if anyone has any connections that might help my son find an internship this summer. I know the world is in limbo right now but I thought I would try anyway. He has made several contacts on his own already but nothing has come through yet and since this forum helped my older son find his first internship (in engineering) I thought I would see if it could help again. He is a sophomore in the McCombs School of Business (I know I probably just lost half of y'all right there!) majoring in finance and minoring in MIS. He is also getting a certificate in computer science. He has a very strong GPA. Most of his contacts have told him that they don't hire until after junior year and to reapply this fall. He is such a hard worker and would really like to get any experience he can this summer. He is interested in the Austin or Dallas area because he has housing opportunities in both cities already. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and GIg'em '92
See my signature. Connect with me via email. I have an idea that may improve his chances of being recognized as a candidate, and an angle that may make him more attractive as an applicant.
ChickenAndWafflesAg
AG
I will have him email you. Thank you!
azul_rain
What part of finance does he want to get into ?
ChickenAndWafflesAg
AG
hedge_zer0 said:

What part of finance does he want to get into ?

Here is what he texted me:
At the moment I'd say investment banking or commercial real estate but I don't have much experience and would be happy to try anything finance related to see what I enjoy
azul_rain
i would recommend he reach out to mccombs business school for some guidance, im sure they have good resources where he can reach out to the alumni.

unfortunately for your son, right now is a very unstable time with everything going on, so getting an internship or job might be difficult. fortunately he still has time left in school and I think the job market will be good once he is out of college.

there are many paths in investment banking. He could go down to financial advising, financial planning, risk management, portfolio management, financial analysts etc...?

Does he want to work for a local firm or a national company ?

Have him do some digging on the subjects just by doing a simple google search or on reddit.

For young adults like him in college, experience is their best friend. I know money is enticing and he will be looking to earn as much as possible in an internship but i cannot stress experience enough. Good experience at the right company earning $9hr beats $18hr at the wrong one.

I learned the hard way of not having experience.

I didnt have any experience coming out of mays and started cold calling local financial advisory firms near me offering to do an unpaid internship, just to get my foot in the door. I was successful and then offered a full time job after my internship.

If he has more specific question pertaining to Financial Advising or Financial Planning please feel free to message me.
ChickenAndWafflesAg
AG
hedge_zer0 said:

i would recommend he reach out to mccombs business school for some guidance, im sure they have good resources where he can reach out to the alumni.

unfortunately for your son, right now is a very unstable time with everything going on, so getting an internship or job might be difficult. fortunately he still has time left in school and I think the job market will be good once he is out of college.

there are many paths in investment banking. He could go down to financial advising, financial planning, risk management, portfolio management, financial analysts etc...?

Does he want to work for a local firm or a national company ?

Have him do some digging on the subjects just by doing a simple google search or on reddit.

For young adults like him in college, experience is their best friend. I know money is enticing and he will be looking to earn as much as possible in an internship but i cannot stress experience enough. Good experience at the right company earning $9hr beats $18hr at the wrong one.

I learned the hard way of not having experience.

I didnt have any experience coming out of mays and started cold calling local financial advisory firms near me offering to do an unpaid internship, just to get my foot in the door. I was successful and then offered a full time job after my internship.

If he has more specific question pertaining to Financial Advising or Financial Planning please feel free to message me.
Thank you so much for the information, I will definitely pass it on to him. We did tell him months ago that it was ok to work for free to just get great experience so I'm glad to see that was good advice (my husband and I are both in the medical field so we know next to nothing about the business world).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.