Job Network
Sponsored by

Job Interviews-2 companies

2,398 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JoeOlson
Punked Shank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have two companies interviewing and for both, I have made it through 2 interviews. I like company A more but company B is moving quicker. A is more of a bigger company with red tape.

All feedback has been positive. I want to tell A i like them better and things with B are moving faster. But i dont want to sound like a brat. During interviews i said who B is and would let them know how things progress.

Would this sound entitled and would it make them give me a lower offer?

This is first job change since i was hired on straight out of college 8 years ago. So i dont really know the game.
Naveronski
AG
Are you in a rush to make a move?

Once you have an offer from one company, reach out to the other one and let them know you have an offer, but are interested to hear from them.
TommyGun
AG
Happened to me a few years ago. Company A was a big international conglomerate and company B was an American independent O&G company. Company B made an offer. I informed the recruiter of A that I had a competing offer in hand but I wanted to hold out to hear from them. We waited a couple of days but A could not give a solid answer and the recruiter told me it was probably wise to accept offer B and stay in touch. I go to work for B and less than a year later recruiter from A calls me and has a new offer. By this time it's apparent that B is on the brink of layoffs so I jump over to A. Fast forward a few more years and I'm still with A and B no longer exists as a company. Sometimes you just have to take what's in front of you.
Punked Shank
AG
TommyGun said:

Happened to me a few years ago. Company A was a big international conglomerate and company B was an American independent O&G company. Company B made an offer. I informed the recruiter of A that I had a competing offer in hand but I wanted to hold out to hear from them. We waited a couple of days but A could not give a solid answer and the recruiter told me it was probably wise to accept offer B and stay in touch. I go to work for B and less than a year later recruiter from A calls me and has a new offer. By this time it's apparent that B is on the brink of layoffs so I jump over to A. Fast forward a few more years and I'm still with A and B no longer exists as a company. Sometimes you just have to take what's in front of you.

Thanks. Hopefully doesnt come to that but good to read it from others perspective sometimes.
AggieBarstool
coastsrs said:

TommyGun said:

Thanks. Hopefully doesnt come to that but good to read it from others perspective sometimes.
This.

As a manager that's made hiring decisions in the recent past -- trying to force my hand will result in me saying, "Thanks. Good luck!" I can't control - or even nudge - the recruiting process, so it's a wasted conversation on me.
Punked Shank
AG
Thanks Barstool. Thats what I want to avoid. Is it worth saying they are my preferred company or even just letting them know...hey these guys company B offered. Id like to let them know by X date.

Is there a good way of saying that without sounding like trying to force a hand? The good news is ive talked to their "talent acquisition " hiring manager the most and the departmemt ive applied to 2nd most.
AggieBarstool
coastsrs said:

Thanks Barstool. Thats what I want to avoid. Is it worth saying they are my preferred company or even just letting them know...hey these guys company B offered. Id like to let them know by X date.

Is there a good way of saying that without sounding like trying to force a hand? The good news is ive talked to their "talent acquisition " hiring manager the most and the departmemt ive applied to 2nd most.
I would ask the recruiter at your preferred workplace where the hiring process stood and when they expect to have a decision. I wouldn't tip my hand as to why I'm asking unless he outright asks why you need to know. Depending on the rapport you have with that person, however, you might be able to be straight-up with him/her.
Ramrod
AG
I'd wait until you have an offer from Company B before saying anything to Company A, even if it's a verbal offer.

I was in a similar situation this time last year. I interviewed with Company B in November 2018 and got my verbal offer in December; didn't receive my written offer until late January 2019 due to holidays and them have to adjust the position to meet my salary request. While not shutting down my search until I received a written offer, I applied to Company A in early January. I ended up interviewing with with A in February the week that I was going to put in my two weeks with my current company to go to Company B and explained my situation; that A was my preferred company and I needed to know something pretty soon. I received a verbal offer the next day and a written offer by the end of the week; Company A is a historically slow international O&G company.

All that to say, wait until you have an offer from B. If Company A wants you that bad, they'll make it work. At worst you can be slow in getting the documents back B to by yourself a couple of extra days.
Vernada
AG
AggieBarstool said:

coastsrs said:

TommyGun said:

This.

As a manager that's made hiring decisions in the recent past -- trying to force my hand will result in me saying, "Thanks. Good luck!" I can't control - or even nudge - the recruiting process, so it's a wasted conversation on me.
I work for a large co and I'm just the opposite (if I'm interested in you) - if I know you have a deadline, I'll do anything I can internally to push things along.
jamesf
AG
I had a similar situation where Company A (preferred job) was a global engineering company, while Company B was a locally owned smaller firm. Company A said that they wanted me to work for them, but was bogged down with the process. Company B gave me a job offer, and I was able to use that to tell Company A that "I have to make a decision soon". It worked, and the job offer was expedited. Not every situation is the same, but it worked for me.
Punked Shank
AG
Thanks all for the responses. Very helpful reading, especially being out of the interview game so long.
tlh3842
AG
Agree with previous posts that progress or moving faster means nothing until you have an offer. Once you have an offer, it makes sense to say something to the other if they're your preference. Even if it's as simple as a followup with the recruiter asking for an update on the timing of things. Depending on the relationship or how good the first offer is, you could say something then about having another offer, etc. But agreed don't start there and if this has already been taking a good while, and that follow-up doesn't give any kind of real update even after extra effort to get information, just take the offer.
Punked Shank
AG
Update: company B offered and i started employment with them today. Im happy

I had 2 solid interviews with A. On Tuesday, B offered me. I let A know and only asked for an update on their process. That text was followed by a phone call from the guy asking for details and said he would follow back up with. I let them know on Thursday I owed B a response because they had a spot for me. No response from A til Friday evening just saying "hey. Working through the process. Should let you know soon".

Im happy where I landed and its a big pay raise from my last job.

Astroag
AG
coastsrs said:

Update: company B offered and i started employment with them today. Im happy

I had 2 solid interviews with A. On Tuesday, B offered me. I let A know and only asked for an update on their process. That text was followed by a phone call from the guy asking for details and said he would follow back up with. I let them know on Thursday I owed B a response because they had a spot for me. No response from A til Friday evening just saying "hey. Working through the process. Should let you know soon".

Im happy where I landed and its a big pay raise from my last job.

Congrats!
JoeOlson
AG
Congratulations on the new role! Looks like a fantastic transition for you.

For future reference, I do quite a bit of VP - CEO hiring for Fortune 500 companies and I would strongly recommend communicating that are a finalist candidate for another company. Many times it comes down to scheduling and it's a lot easier to schedule an interview (or even a video call) a few weeks out when the urgency is not communicated. Do it respectfully (and don't overstate the other role because you can get called out for it), but you should always err on the side of situational transparency.

Even if timing doesn't work out, the odds of them coming back to you in the future are much higher if you handle the process with respect and communication. I've seen many candidates get completely black listed for dropping out without warning to take another role (fair or not, it happens).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.