Job Network
Sponsored by

Tips on Starting a Consulting Business on the Side

1,320 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gooder Poster
Gooder Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm wanting to start a consulting business on the side of my regular job.

I have considerable experience in communications, customer service/success, partner development and management, sales, and some other areas. I am confident that I can provide value to someone on nights and weekends by putting together documentation, outlining process and procedures, and other tasks.

Has anyone else here done this? What are your tips for finding your first couple of clients?

If you run a business that could benefit from any of these services, let me know. I'd love to visit with you about your goals.

flown-the-coop
AG
You may want to check on your company's policy regarding moonlighting at a 2nd job. Most are okay with it, but may not be if in same field or any conflicts with existing vendors or customers of your main job. Best to be upfront with your boss about it.

Outside of that, I would look at something like a small business roundtable in your field and local area where you could introduce and get your name passed around. Most people you meet in a small business area will be highly supportive of you getting your own business started.
Gooder Poster
AG
Thanks, that's a great suggestion that I hadn't thought of.

I definitely wouldn't work for anyone else in the direct industry we cover. I know that some of the sales leaders have had side consulting gigs throughout their tenure, so I think my boss (who is one of those people I mentioned) would be ok with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.