Job Network
Sponsored by

Seeking information for my Daughter

3,546 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ciboag96
Seabreeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shes graduating with a biology degree and a minor in animal sciences, what real opportunities are out there for her job wise?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Pretty decent combo actually. Have her look at entry level with Purina/Land O'Lakes, Merck, Elanco, Zoetis, Boehringer Ingelheim, Kemin, AB Vista, IDEXX, and Evonik just off the top of my head. Having a decent grasp of biology can go a good way in the animal science world. Could be anything from marketing to lab/field tech. Just depends on what she wants to do.
fightingfarmer09
As Irish stated, pretty much sky's the limit in solid job options. Lab tech type positions across the board, animal product sales and support.

A MS or more gets you into the "decision making" research position, but those teams are filled with great folks with that background and degree combo.

Purina, Land O Lakes, ADM, Cargill, Simplot, pretty much any agriculture firm and don't forget the smaller Co-ops.

Agcareers and ag1source are some good resources.

HollywoodBQ
AG
Frankly, it's a little late to be asking this question now.

And please don't lob a softball like this in front of me on a Friday afternoon when I've been drinking. Because my first thought was, can she dance?

If the Rhino isn't an option, there's always the military. Or the Peace Corps, or missionary work (pun not intended).

Better questions are, what does she want to do besides Instagram? Where does she want to live, etc?
ElephantRider
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Frankly, it's a little late to be asking this question now.

And please don't lob a softball like this in front of me on a Friday afternoon when I've been drinking. Because my first thought was, can she dance?

If the Rhino isn't an option, there's always the military. Or the Peace Corps, or missionary work (pun not intended).

Better questions are, what does she want to do besides Instagram? Where does she want to live, etc?
Seabreeze
zooguy96
If she's interested in an internship for the summer or an entire year, I could probably help her out with something in the National Park Service in the Smokies. They don't pay a ton, but take care of room and board (I may be mistaken on this now - they may pay more, but not take care of room and board). Either way, a cool place to get some experience in Resource Management (think doing plant surveys, performing invasive plant management, doing bat surveys, water quality surveys, working in the woods) for the Park Service. I did it when I was in grad school.

Other than that, she'd probably want to look at city, county, and state positions within Texas (LCRA, City of Austin and Travis County, Texas Parks and Wildlife, larger city and county positions) come to mind. I also have worked in zoos - if she's interested in going that route.

As mentioned, a lot of opportunities with that combination of education.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Seabreeze said:

Thanks for the info, and well played Hollywood.
I'd already gotten "on the cans" in the Qantas Lounge in Melbourne so this was pure entertainment. I do understand how difficult these conversations can be.

Full disclosure - I've got a daughter who will be graduating this year with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. She's interested in aviation but, all she's done for the past three weeks that she's been home on break is, play "Just Dance" on my PlayStation and drink all my beer. Looking forward to her going back to school so I can get onto "Call of Duty" again.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Seabreeze said:

Shes graduating with a biology degree and a minor in animal sciences, what real opportunities are out there for her job wise?

Your daughter is an adult now. Its time for her to put her big girl shoes on and find a job without daddy's help.
Seabreeze
IrishTxAggie
AG
Just ignore O'Doyle. He's still mad his parents don't love him. Nothing wrong with asking a few questions for your kid's future. I have a somewhat similar background (Poultry Science/Ag Econ.) and no one in my family has any connection to the Ag industry, so naturally my dad was curious too and asked around.

At 22, I still didn't know what the hell I would do after school. Hell, at 32 and director of a company now, I still don't know what the hell I want to do!

Doing the ground work after the direction would be a bit coddling though.
expresswrittenconsent
Why do helicopter parents never think they are helicopter parents?
Zero chance the "child" asked for "daddy" to meddle.
AgLA06
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

I don't believe it was ever determine how the information was going to be used. For his own curiosity or for his kid. I'm not sure it really matters anyway.

What's the point of networking if you can't ask for help. I guess we should all hide our Aggie rings any time we meet someone?

The only thing I take as gold in business is that it's about who you know over anything else. Someone sitting here talking a big game about not taking help from others is either lying to themselves or not in the real world. I don't care where the help or lead comes from in my network. If it comes from a relative I at least no they probably won't flake on me when it matters.

Just seems like a really sad response.

zooguy96
Yeah, why even comment? The job board is here to help people. Don't be an ass.
Seabreeze
I was really just asking for my own curiosity, as far as some of the comments it's Texags so I take it for what it is. But for the good info that was given, I shared it with her. It's led her into looking at avenues she wouldn't have thought of, so thanks to ya'll.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I know and deal with several directors and c-suites at most of the companies I mentioned and several I didn't mention. If she sees something that really tickles her fancy in animal health, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my contact information and might be able to give her an idea of who to reach out to and company culture.
Seabreeze
I really appreciate that, she come home this weekend so I will share with her.
water turkey
There are also good opportunities working for an environmental consultant with that degree.

HollywoodBQ
AG
Seabreeze said:

I really appreciate that, she come home this weekend so I will share with her.
Sent mine back to school on Sunday. Now it's time to start hassling her about applying for summer internship type jobs.
Mr. Havok
AG
Just commenting to save this thread. Similar background and possibly job hunting in a couple months. Thanks for the information!
TexAg1987
Mr. Havok said:

Just commenting to save this thread. Similar background and possibly job hunting in a couple months. Thanks for the information!
Just a friendly suggestion....change your user name before looking for a job on this board.
Ciboag96
expresswrittenconsent said:

At least she's not protesting at Grand Central on Daddy's credit card. Good job Breeze.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.