Job Network
Sponsored by

Job Offer and Current Employer

2,249 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
JobHuntAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was recently contacted about another job, went through the interviews, and received a job offer. They are offering 30% more than what I am making currently, but during the in-person interview I realized the job was a lot different than what they had portrayed. So the question is, have any of you received a job offer from a job they were not going to take, but presented the offer to your current employer for a raise?
TecRecAg
AG
Bad idea. If times get tough at your current company, guess who is at the top of the list to get cut.. the guy who went out and interviewed for another job and used it as leverage to get a raise.

However, not all is lost. Go to your boss and inquire about a raise. If they ask where this is coming from, you can say that you were approached about a job that paid X. But I wouldn't say you interviewed for it.. unless the raise is that important to you.
exp
AG
Yeah don't twist your employers arm. You'll regret it at some point most likely.
AggieOO
If you are going to try to use an offer to leverage a raise, you have to be ready to walk if they say no.
Theblondewonder
AG
I was in this situation back in March and my current employer countered with MORE than the offer letter. I was obviously underpaid for years but am happy I stayed put. I was given a $13 K pay increase basically overnight.
Vernada
AG
TecRecAg said:

Bad idea. If times get tough at your current company, guess who is at the top of the list to get cut.. the guy who went out and interviewed for another job and used it as leverage to get a raise.

The guy who's good enough to get another offer is at the top of your list? I doubt he's at the top of mine.
Vernada
AG
I'd suggest being honest. Assuming you have a decent relationship with you boss, go to them and be honest. Tell them you got this offer, would prefer to stay, but let them know what the new # is.
JMac03
AG
I think it depends. Are you underpaid now? At one of my previous jobs I asked for raises for 1-2 years and got squat. I always told them when it comes time for me to leave, do not offer me more money then, as it will be too late. Guess what happened, when I put in my notice, their question was "how much will it take for you to stay?". My answer? Nothing. Why am I worth more today than I was yesterday?

As others mentioned, I think it matters on the relationship you have and what the culture is like. I certainly wouldn't turn down the position first if you plan to have the talk at your current company in case you are shown the door. That kind of raise isn't a small amount - so I would have to look at what does the new job offer and would I be happy doing it? Money isn't everything.
expresswrittenconsent
What is different about the new job compared to how it was presented? It sounds like the differences are worse, and causing you to not want to take the new job despite the higher offer.
It sounds like you want to stay at the current gig but would also like a raise. I'm not sure this current other job is the best way to ask for more money if your ultimate goal is to stay longer term at the current job.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I'll give you advice that is a little bit different, but only if you are a top performer. Aggie00 is spot on that you should be prepared to walk. Set up a meeting with your boss, tell them you were approached for another position and that you decided to talk with the potential employer and were surprised with a very generous offer. Say that you like your current company but would like to earn market value for your labor, as evidenced by your external offer. Have a discussion around what you want to achieve, you don't want to be punished in future opportunities / comp by looking outside, but you feel strongly that you're worth more. See where it leads. Their reaction will tell you if you should accept the other offer.

If you aren't a top performer, don't bother. Either swallow it or move on. All of that said, you looked outside for a reason, would a 30% increase keep you happy? If the new job has better trajectory, why wait?
TecRecAg
AG
Unemployment is extremely low and it's a bloodbath to find people.

Not saying OP isn't good at his job, but being able to find another job isn't a key indicator that someone is good.
Petrino1
TecRecAg said:

Not saying OP isn't good at his job, but being able to find another job isn't a key indicator that someone is good.
If another company is offering him a 30% increase, then thats a pretty good sign that hes at least well thought of in his industry.
one MEEN Ag
AG
TecRecAg said:

Isn't that the same as saying, its hard to find people at the current salary companies are offering?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.