Job Network
Sponsored by

Content Writing Intern Wanted

4,800 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cjo03
Rosco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking for an intern to write content for our website. This is not a paid position, but would be great for a student who needs portfolio material, references and experience. Hours can be on your own time and you can work remotely. Preferred majors are journalism, marketing, or communications. Knowledge of hunting and fishing industry is preferred, but not required. Knowledge of SEO and keyword usage is also a plus. We have a considerable amount of content to write and will be selecting 2-3 interns to help with the workload from now until end of year. PM me for company website and more details. Thanks and Gig em!
Diggity
AG
what a deal

might as well get a dozen if you're not going to pay them or office them.
Rosco
AG
I struggle to even want to reply to your negativity and lack of understanding to an opportunity. We are a start up based in Dallas and that's not the most convenient for a student attending school in College Station. I'll say this Zuckerberg once invited anyone who could help him with some work to his apartment for an opportunity. Only 2 people showed up. Go check the net worth of those two people now. Not saying we will be that big, but our growth has been fantastic and those who are willing to embrace a grind, learn, and take a chance aren't forgotten.
Diggity
AG
getting some freelancer to write free content for your startup doesn't seem like a glorious opportunity, but what do I know. Good luck to you.
Rosco
AG
We are trying to provide a student with something that could very well help them, either resume and experience or a future position with us. It is a post that is trying to provide value for another Aggie. Your comments provided zero value, it was pure negativity. Next time you post, maybe ask yourself if you will add value to a forum or just yell at clouds. Many entry level jobs out of college even ask for some experience, including working remote and showing a portfolio. It's a genuine opportunity that has already helped one fellow ag earlier this year. Landed a gig with Walmart.
Diggity
AG
Sorry, I just think it's exploitative to expect people to work for you for free in this case. Most unpaid internships at least provide some sort of "on the job" training.

If there is any actual training or value being transferred via this internship, I stand corrected, but "building out their portfolio" sounds like a BS excuse to me. There are opportunities to do that and receive some training and/or make a little money.
cjo03
AG
is the company getting more out of this or will the volunteer/intern be the primary beneficiary?

may want to evaluate a modest freelancer comp plan of cents per word or dollars per article, etc

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm
IrishTxAggie
AG
Do unpaid internships even exist anymore? Maybe in IB? Hell, if I can get an unpaid intern I'll take a few and teach them everything I know in sales and marketing!

IrishTxAggie
AG
If your growth has been fantastic, don't skimp on creating your content and leave it in the hands of an unpaid internship. Hire someone or contract a freelancer that knows what the hell they're doing. That is horrible stewardship. Letting the inexperienced people do that?
Van Buren Boy
AG
You get what you pay for.
Rosco
AG
Our interns have full access to learn any area they want to about our company. They have a job to do, but they can literally learn anything they want to.
IrishTxAggie
AG
GrayStar said:

Our interns have full access to learn any area they want to about our company. They have a job to do, but they can literally learn anything they want to.
This is what you sound like when you offer an unpaid internship;

"We're so awesome, you will pay us to work for us"

Because that's essentially what an unpaid internship is. You're giving someone nothing for there time. How are they supposed to learn any area and anything they want when they're an intern in CS and you're based in Dallas?

If you're are startup, why not offer an intern some "shares" in the company? Doesn't cost y'all anything and it can help an intern understand how deferred comp works in a start up.
Rosco
AG
We have a chief legal officer and we are fully aware of benefiting our interns. Like I said above.....For those of you typing like you may know more about our company or working as an intern with us than I do.... The original post is about bringing a fellow Aggie value. Plan and simple. The content they write is simple content to create, we just need help with that workload. The hours they want to work is up to them (see above). How and where they want to work is up to them (learn the office culture or learn the working remote culture). What they want to learn about start-ups, website companies, outdoor industry, marketing, connecting with customers, etc. is up to them. We give them a platform to learn and build their resume, and yes...their portfolio (work on an actual companies website). Thanks and Gig em!
Rosco
AG
That is an interesting read to my words, but this is a chat forum and you dont know myself or our company. So i will give you the benefit of the doubt. I am a firm believer Aggies are thankfully much nicer in person than on forums. An intern with flexibility to work as much as they want to is not entitled to shares. Can those be earned? Yes. And they have been. However, whats also been earned is a very nice career by standing out from other resumes with only a degree on them.
cjo03
AG
GrayStar said:

We have a chief legal officer and we are fully aware of benefiting our interns. Like I said above.....For those of you typing like you may know more about our company or working as an intern with us than I do.... The original post is about bringing a fellow Aggie value. Plan and simple. The content they write is simple content to create, we just need help with that workload. The hours they want to work is up to them (see above). How and where they want to work is up to them (learn the office culture or learn the working remote culture). What they want to learn about start-ups, website companies, outdoor industry, marketing, connecting with customers, etc. is up to them. We give them a platform to learn and build their resume, and yes...their portfolio (work on an actual companies website). Thanks and Gig em!

Your business model is a great idea. No surprise it's growing. I've seen the site via your other posts.

I am not sure anyone's intent above is to tear you or the business down. From your latter posts it sounds like there is more structure and detail than implied in the OP - and you have your 'ducks in a row' (pun intended).

If you had a chance to start this thread over with a bit more detail about the company, position, the mutual benefits and a job description, I think the reaction from the board may have been different.
BigBurd
AG
I see the potential benefit of what you're trying to do.

I'd be interested in discussing my background and how it can help your content creation.

I'm not able to pm. Do you have an email address I could use to contact you instead?
bthotugigem05
AG
If it's going to benefit your company you should freaking pay for it (I bet your chief legal officer who approved this exploitation scheme is paid, for example). "BuT tHeY'rE sTuDeNtS," you're right, and their landlords will not accept a check with EXPOSURE written in the amount field just like they wouldn't in the professional world.

If the reason you're reaching specifically out to students is because you imagine they're living on student loans or family money and therefore won't care about not getting paid then you're simply just abusing their current station in life. Before you say I'm wrong, tell me why you're specifically reaching out to students and not professional writers, if it's such a good opportunity then surely a professional would see the value wouldn't they? No, they would say they want to be paid.

If you want to hire someone, pay them. Your Facebook argument is ridiculous, because I can point to many writers I know who have gotten absolutely shafted by people asking them to do similar. The exception doesn't prove the rule.

You say in one of your responses "this is about bringing an Aggie value." Yes...you. You're getting the value. The student is guaranteed nothing. You get all the upside.

What are my qualifications to say the above? Not only am I a photographer who is asked constantly to allow use of my work for free or to do free shoots BeCaUsE oF tHe ExPoSuRe but I'm also a travel blogger and see my that industry getting absolutely destroyed because of people saying "Writing is important enough to say that we must have good quality copy" out of one side of their mouth and "we refuse to pay, people must write for us for free for the off chance that they may benefit somewhere down the road maybe possibly if we're still in business by then" out of the other.

A good writer will not need your gracious selfless offer of a chance to build their portfolio, they'll already have a good one.
bthotugigem05
AG
And I'd be happy to walk into your office in Dallas to respectfully say the same, on behalf of exploited creatives everywhere.
Astroag
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

And I'd be happy to walk into your office in Dallas to respectfully say the same, on behalf of exploited creatives everywhere.
Well, one of the most influential folks in the market right now disagrees with you and agrees with the OP. Gary Vaynerchuk is telling creatives everywhere this is the way... Maybe you need some recalibration or at least understanding that it may not be for you as an established creative but for someone new or looking to gain experience its a great idea? The market is overloaded with options and accessibility to those options...

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
bthotugigem05
AG
Would be happy to tell it to Gary as well. He's right in a lot of ways but not here. The OP said the content they need is really simple they just need someone to do it...how the hell is that supposed to impress another company?

Doing something for free is great when you get something in return. An entry on a resume is not "something".
Astroag
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Would be happy to tell it to Gary as well. He's right in a lot of ways but not here. The OP said the content they need is really simple they just need someone to do it...how the hell is that supposed to impress another company?

Doing something for free is great when you get something in return. An entry on a resume is not "something".
Well, It is pretty clear you haven't applied to many jobs or been in the job market much. Real experience on a resume is huge in this day and age. Most "entry-level" jobs are looking for some experience.

Chipotlemonger
AG
I don't think Gary's message was "work for an extended period of time for free"

It was more of a finite, one-time, deal where you prove some value.
bthotugigem05
AG
And I'd bet Gary was saying it from the worker's perspective, like in a "[unnecessary cussing] find a guy you want to work for and go tell him you'll work for him and you're so sure you'll provide value that you're willing to do it for free to get your [slighty necessary cussing] foot in the door" sense. I just can't imagine him saying "hire people without paying them, wooooo!"
Astroag
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I don't think Gary's message was "work for an extended period of time for free"

It was more of a finite, one-time, deal where you prove some value.
3 months is a pretty short time no?

Al Bula
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

oh dear god, won't someone please think of the exploited creatives.

Give me a break.
Rosco
AG
Thank you for the great feedback and concerns over this. At this time we don't need anyone walking into our office with negativity. However, we will certainly look at how we can give them some financial benefit right out of the gate. It's a hard thing to do as a start-up, moving fast. And we ourselves have been burned by sweat equity promises that were never fulfilled. We have brought on 4 interns and we are excited to watch them grow and see how we can help them. Also, since none of you know what it's like working as an intern for our company and our clearly upset with prior companies... I will keep you posted on their progress.
flown-the-coop
AG
I will try to add some value to the chatroom with my posts, since its evidently a requirement of posting that you add value.

GrayStar seems way too douch-ee in their posts. You could better respond by laying out rationale for what you are trying to accomplish. People called you out, and rather than explain you validated their position.

And I agree, a Chief Legal Officer (whatever that is) for a startup vs an unpaid intern? if you can afford full time legal you could ask them to cut their time by 20% and pay a thousand interns to write your copy. Plus, unless they are exceptionally gifted, you expect a college student to write prose based on your ideas and have it truly convey your concept?

Let us know when your startup goes public so I can make sure I can short the stock.
Rosco
AG
Thank you for the ideas. Your ideas are good ones, but only prove my point in speaking and making judgement without asking any questions or knowing anything about our company. Our CLO (very common position) is not paid in cash, but equity. We will never take our company public.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Think you missed the point.
Rosco
AG
That Freebirds is better?
flown-the-coop
AG
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
I'm sorry, but not paying employees in money is pathetic. Employers who just want to give pats on the back and make feel-good gestures instead of fairly paying their employees in dollars are the lowest of the low. You're not looking to help anybody out with an "opportunity." You're looking to exploit and make money off the backs of naive college kids without compensating them for it. It's transparent, and it's disgusting. I've seen way too much of this **** in my career. You deserve to be called out, OP.
Premium
AG
Sorry to hijack, but if you'd like experience writing in a highly competitive market... we could "use" your service and in return we can provide you experience.
gig em 02
Astroag said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Well, one of the most influential folks in the market right now disagrees with you and agrees with the OP. Gary Vaynerchuk is telling creatives everywhere this is the way... Maybe you need some recalibration or at least understanding that it may not be for you as an established creative but for someone new or looking to gain experience its a great idea? The market is overloaded with options and accessibility to those options...

No he isn't. Gary tells people to find somebody that you want to be like and can teach you a valuable skill and offer to work for them for free. Considering I have no idea who the op is or what the company does, it's a safe assumption that isn't a place for an aspiring influencer/marketer/content creator to go grind away for free.
gig em 02
You also named your business after one of the largest real estate companies in the world. IP issues aside, have you considered hiring a real marketing person? You are non-existent in basic google searches and I'm not sure that archaic SEO articles are going to help you take down that billion dollar company.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.