Job Network
Sponsored by

Next Steps In My Career??

1,172 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggiejue
tex_mcgee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good evening Ags!

I'm typically not somebody that reaches out to strangers on a message board, but I thought this board could give me some good insight and direction into what my next steps should be for my career.

Previously, I was a GM for a startup fitness and fundraising organization in Houston. I was able to take a 1 million dollar business unit in one city and turn it into a 5 million dollar region that spanned Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and New Orleans. I loved being "the guy" in the market and "owning" the entire business. Staffing, sales, recruiting, operations, and everything in between. It was super fun and I got to motivate, cast vision, make the tough decisions, and develop team members to go on and do great things. I learned a ton, had a blast, and thought I would do it forever.

Unfortunately, my wife was/is having some health issues and we decided it was best for our family to move to Dallas/Richardson to be closer to parents. We have three kids under 6 and my family needed some more support, so I took the tough step to take a step back and jump into software sales just to get us closer to family. Looking back it might have been a rash decision, but I think long term it is best for us to be in the Richardson area.

I thought it would be an interesting change to jump to software and focus on sales and be in individual contributor. I'm not bad at it, I'll hit quota, etc, but I am not super fired up and I just don't see a career path moving forward. My wife is a SAHM, so I'll do whatever I have to do to pay the bills, but I'd like to find something that I can get fired up about in the future. I'd love to find something that I can take to the next level and have a part in all aspects of the business unit.

I have a goal of owning my own business one day, but as a young family with 3 young kids and all that entails, I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I loved owning a market and being able to think long term about a business. When I search for GM type jobs on Linkedin, just about all that I am finding is restaurant and retail jobs, which isn't something I'm interested in.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, or leads on anything that sounds like I'd be a fit for in the D/FW area (Richardson).

Thanks Ags. This board is awesome and I am grateful to be a part of the Aggie Network.

Aggiejue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if this would be an option with the travel involved, but let me know if you are interested.

https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/3059934
Aggiejue
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.