Job Network
Sponsored by

Schedule an Interview

1,869 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigBurd
BigBurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This week I had a recruiter for a company I applied to text me at 2:30pm requesting a phone interview at 4:30pm the same day. I replied that I was unavailable but listed several other dates and times as alternatives. The recruiter did not reply and did not reply to an additional follow up text.

I know often the goal of recruiters is to find reasons to eliminate candidates from consideration if they have several candidates. Would not accepting the first offer time for an interview be reason enough to remove me from consideration totally?

Usually I will accommodate whatever time a company requests for an interview this was the first time I was not able too and it was just due to the short notice.

tldr: Is it unreasonable as a job seeker to not accommodate the first time and date sent over by the employer for an interview?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Do you really want a job that acts that way anyway?
BigBurd
AG
Certainly not if that is a reflection of the companies culture.

More so just curious if it's a competitive market for that type of role that something as trivial as scheduling an interview can knock you out of consideration.
500,000ags
AG
Could be the recruiter playing games.
TMoney2007
AG
Johnny Cage said:

This week I had a recruiter for a company I applied to text me at 2:30pm requesting a phone interview at 4:30pm the same day. I replied that I was unavailable but listed several other dates and times as alternatives. The recruiter did not reply and did not reply to an additional follow up text.

I know often the goal of recruiters is to find reasons to eliminate candidates from consideration if they have several candidates. Would not accepting the first offer time for an interview be reason enough to remove me from consideration totally?

Usually I will accommodate whatever time a company requests for an interview this was the first time I was not able too and it was just due to the short notice.

tldr: Is it unreasonable as a job seeker to not accommodate the first time and date sent over by the employer for an interview?
Did you try calling them?
Vernada
AG
What kind of recruiter?

A third party or an internal one?

Different animals there.

I can only tell you how I approach these from the hiring side: If I care enough to contact someone, them putting off the first requested time will not deter me from talking with them.
Petrino1
It sounds like the recruiter probably reached out to a bunch of candidates who applied and whoever responded back the quickest got first dibs at the role. Ive seen that happen with entry level roles, theres a lot of candidates to choose from so you interview whoever is the quickest to apply or respond.

Its not your fault, but sometimes you be super flexible and quick with recruiters/HR if you really want the job, or else they may have moved on to someone else.
BrazosDog02
AG
I had a recruiter call me at 8pm once. They said the interview is like that because they are headquartered in KL. I politely told the lady that my interview will need to be during regular business hours MY TIME since that's the office I'd be working at and anything after 5 pm during a weekday is my family time.

It was an easy way to weed out game players. I WOULD NOT SWEAT IT, OP.

I also don't do "on the spot" interviews. You don't see professionals winging quality and I don't wing interviews. I like to have my head in the game and be prepared.
Ulrich
There are a few things i won't do. I won't fool around with a recruiter who reschedules more than once. I won't tell you what color/animal/cloud shape I would be and why. I won't spend more than 20 minutes without knowing that the money will work out (sometimes you know, sometimes you have to ask). And I won't jump through silly hoops to prove that I really want the job.

I will do an interview on short/no notice especially if it's HR or a recruiter, but I'm confident in my ability to perform in that environment.
Petrino1
OP what level role was this for? Entry level or experienced hire?
BigBurd
AG
It was a Senior Financial Analyst role so more mid-level
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.