Job Network
Sponsored by

How to ask for a raise?

3,081 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by shihitemuslim
Billy Moose
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I work in marketing analytics for a midsized company in Austin and have been here just over a year. My teammate is leaving and a significant portion of her responsibilities will be mine. They have no plans to backfill her position. Now I make decent money, but asking for a raise here is warranted, right? I have the leverage in this situation and my boss even told me today "we would be devastated if you left". I've never asked for a raise before, so I'm hoping so more experienced posters will be able to help. Thanks!
500,000ags
AG
You might want to see if you can handle the new responsibilities first. Asking for a raise, and six months later saying this is really a two-person workload isn't a good look.
The Collective
AG
IrishTxAggie
AG
Did you have a one year eval. where you got a raise?
Billy Moose
AG
I got a raise about 3 months after I started, so coming up on one year ago. We also have evals twice a year, and my next one is probably coming up in couple of months. That should give me ample time to prove I can handle the new work and I can bring up a raise then. Thanks for your input, folks, I just needed to talk that out with someone.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I don't completely agree with the other person saying to do the job. Memories are fleeting and once they lose recognition that you are doing the jobs of two people, it won't count for you.

I think you should sit down with your boss to discuss the added responsibilities, and say something to the effect of "hey boss, I'm taking on a lot of work here because of coworker leaving. I'd like to make some more money. What do you think is possible and what do we need to do for that to happen?" Most good bosses love to give raises and bonuses. The question, though, is why they're not backfilling.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

Most good bosses love to give raises and bonuses
No we don't... But a good boss will in order to keep the talent.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Then you're not a good boss... Nothing makes me happier than to reward the people I work with, provided they've earned it. I chose to view people as an asset vs. an expense to minimally invest in. I will do anything for the all-stars, and I'll appropriately reward the average people who work. Non performers get nothing. It goes without saying that the business has to be in a position to do so and it does not mean that I do not care about the bottom line, it is actually because I care about the bottom line that I take this stance. Sharing the success of the business with employees dramatically increases their output, tenure, and general happiness thereby increasing revenue, productivity, and earnings.

You know who else feels this way? Jack Welch.
ATM9000
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I don't completely agree with the other person saying to do the job. Memories are fleeting and once they lose recognition that you are doing the jobs of two people, it won't count for you.

I think you should sit down with your boss to discuss the added responsibilities, and say something to the effect of "hey boss, I'm taking on a lot of work here because of coworker leaving. I'd like to make some more money. What do you think is possible and what do we need to do for that to happen?" Most good bosses love to give raises and bonuses. The question, though, is why they're not backfilling.

I think you are conflating capability and responsibility a little bit here. Good bosses love to reward employees... won't disagree with you there. But all additional responsibility is the opportunity to create proof of added capability and effort as well as additional experience. Good companies pay people for experience, capability and effort, not responsibility.
texan12
Would a better, less contentious, approach be to ask for more vacation time due to added responsibility? How is the company doing any favors other than helping themselves? I can get helping for a temporary amount of time while they find a new hire, but this is the difference between how a leader and manager treats their people.
IrishTxAggie
AG

Then you're not a good boss... Nothing makes me happier than to reward the people I work with, provided they've earned it. I chose to view people as an asset vs. an expense to minimally invest in. I will do anything for the all-stars, and I'll appropriately reward the average people who work. Non performers get nothing. It goes without saying that the business has to be in a position to do so and it does not mean that I do not care about the bottom line, it is actually because I care about the bottom line that I take this stance. Sharing the success of the business with employees dramatically increases their output, tenure, and general happiness thereby increasing revenue, productivity, and earnings.

And now GE is saddled with billions upon billions of liability due to their inflated pensions and comps. Jack Welch was a great CEO, but he was also a part of a bull market that lasted for almost 20 years
expresswrittenconsent
IrishTxAggie said:

And now GE is saddled with billions upon billions of liability due to their inflated pensions and comps. Jack Welch was a great CEO, but he was also a part of a bull market that lasted for almost 20 years

Weird reply for the job board.
IrishTxAggie
AG
So is bringing up Jack Welch
ATM9000
AG
texan12 said:

Would a better, less contentious, approach be to ask for more vacation time due to added responsibility? How is the company doing any favors other than helping themselves? I can get helping for a temporary amount of time while they find a new hire, but this is the difference between how a leader and manager treats their people.

A leader would realize amount of people who do a job, while relevant, is still an arbitrary starting point.

Let's start from the beginning... when you hire somebody do you pay them, do you make your decision and hire then compensate them because of their responsibility or do you do so based on their experience and skill set? It is always the latter and not the former and if it weren't that way, interviews and resumes and competition for jobs would be nonexistent. It should be no different for internal shifts in responsibility either. You take the additional responsibility, utilize it to gain experience and new skills... that increases your marketability, hence your market value, not just the responsibility on its' own. That's why the proper time to speak about added comp is probably in a few months and not immediately.

The company is doing you a favor by giving you a chance to prove yourself and make yourself a more experienced professional... you seem to be forgetting about that part.
texan12
Its absolutely a favor to set your people up for success and as a manager you should know if that person is already capable of such responsibility, hence some sort of compensation. I guess it's a risk for either party, but an even bigger one would be hiring a new person who looks great on paper (which I'm sure you have varied stories of).
expresswrittenconsent
IrishTxAggie said:

Sure but that was an aside after several paragraphs of actual content relevant to the discussion (which maybe you dont have anything valuable to contribute). No worries.
IrishTxAggie
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Sure but that was an aside after several paragraphs of actual content relevant to the discussion (which maybe you dont have anything valuable to contribute). No worries.
I take issue with someone saying I'm not a good boss when they have no idea what I've done professionally. Everyone's management style is different and not everyone's style works for the other. I don't mind paying or investing to keep good employees, but to say I'm happy about it wouldn't be accurate. I'd much rather use that money in an asset that isn't always looking out for number 1 (which I don't have a problem with either). After seeing how my father was just pushed out the door after 20yrs and being screwed myself in the past, business is simply a transaction and I've learned to take the emotion and "happy" out of it.
evestor1
Quote:

Sharing the success of the business with employees dramatically increases their output, tenure, and general happiness thereby increasing revenue, productivity, and earnings.

It seems very obvious that this is an employees goal. work hard - results - GET PAID!

Unfortunately, a great percentage of companies and managers do not believe that compensation is a prime driver...

...oh here it is just a few posts down

Quote:

The company is doing you a favor by giving you a chance to prove yourself and make yourself a more experienced professional... you seem to be forgetting about that part.

The company is doing you a favor by setting a pay rate for X work and then paying you the same for XYZ work. In my experience we call this mantra 'Purpose' - it is another way of saying [Ted is a loser. he is now doing Jim, Joan, and Randy's jobs for the same pay as what he started at...lets tell him that he is getting enriched with experience and should feel good that he is doing 80 hours of data entry instead of 40...then lets tell him that his work is serving the greater good] Meanwhile, shareholders get $.00875 per share more year. HIGH FIVE!

Spoiler alert - if you ask for a raise they will likely give you something, but be careful. The next Ted is just around the corner ready to add your responsibilities to his plate.
ATM9000
AG
Whoa... let's not change arguments here. Everybody understands compensation is a primary factor for basically every employee. My argument is responsibility isn't what makes your market value, it is hard work, capability and experience. That's what sets your market value and job.

Almost everybody who has advanced in their career has probably done so by doing work where they were 'underpaid' so to speak for the weight they were punching at... it isn't a corporate conspiracy... it is just the way life is. You have to prove your worth almost always to get higher comp, etc.

'2 people used to do this' can mean anything. Sometimes technology or market changes suddenly make a 2 person jobs 1 person task... that's why you should never conflate responsibility with actual work.
TXAGGIES
to answer the original question, if someone comes to me telling me they are working hard and wants more money, most likely they are not getting it. You need to prepare your "story" as to why I need to pay you more.

Something to the effect of:

Over the last 18 months, I led the team which automated the AR/AP systems, eliminating/repurposing 3 headcounts, saving the company $210K. In addition, we are in the middle of the scrap reduction project, which while not complete, is showing positive results and we anticipate annual savings of $300K. I have had very favorable annual reviews over the past x years and continue to gain experiences by doing x, y, and z. I have done some research in the area for my position and the market rate is $xxx,xxx-$xxx,xxx and I believe I have demonstrated my ability to due this role and would like to be paid $xxx,xxx.

This shows me the value you add and you have done some research on it. Saying I need more because Suzie in the next cube is making more than me is not going to get it done.
ATM9000
AG
TXAGGIES said:

to answer the original question, if someone comes to me telling me they are working hard and wants more money, most likely they are not getting it. You need to prepare your "story" as to why I need to pay you more.

Something to the effect of:

Over the last 18 months, I led the team which automated the AR/AP systems, eliminating/repurposing 3 headcounts, saving the company $210K. In addition, we are in the middle of the scrap reduction project, which while not complete, is showing positive results and we anticipate annual savings of $300K. I have had very favorable annual reviews over the past x years and continue to gain experiences by doing x, y, and z. I have done some research in the area for my position and the market rate is $xxx,xxx-$xxx,xxx and I believe I have demonstrated my ability to due this role and would like to be paid $xxx,xxx.

This shows me the value you add and you have done some research on it. Saying I need more because Suzie in the next cube is making more than me is not going to get it done.

Yes... that's reality and my point.

Every one of you make the same evaluation any time a person asks for more money on a job if you lead people or decide who to hire and what to pay... so don't act like you don't or this situation is somehow an exception.
Billy Moose
AG
I'll add some more detail to get this back on track a little. I should have mentioned in the OP that I am taking on two significant new projects (and chipping in on a third) instead of just doing more of the same work I'm already doing. One project is a monthly comprehensive report of all marketing activities that is reviewed by our BOD each quarter. The other is managing an off shore team. These should have been in my OP to convey the step up in the type of work and not just more volume.
jtp01
AG
We recently lost one of my coworkers from a neighboring territory of mine. The owner called me and asked if I could find a few weeks per year to run into that territory and handle some strategic accounts.

He said. You are geographically closer to these accounts anyway. We will talk salary increase and additional bonus structure next week while you are here for the sales meeting.

He recognized that with the additional territory it would create more travel and more work, therefore more salary and commission is necessary without me saying a word.
Ronnie
AG
Billy Moose said:

I'll add some more detail to get this back on track a little. I should have mentioned in the OP that I am taking on two significant new projects (and chipping in on a third) instead of just doing more of the same work I'm already doing. One project is a monthly comprehensive report of all marketing activities that is reviewed by our BOD each quarter. The other is managing an off shore team. These should have been in my OP to convey the step up in the type of work and not just more volume.
Like was stated above:
Quote:

I think you should sit down with your boss to discuss the added responsibilities, and say something to the effect of "hey boss, I'm taking on a lot of work here because of coworker leaving. I'd like to make some more money. What do you think is possible and what do we need to do for that to happen?"
This is good advice in my opinion. Not too pushy, but timed with the annual review it is not unusual to have this discussion. It would be easier to talk about it if you have a few weeks of doing the new tasks under your belt.

Compensation can come in many forms...maybe there are other options. Are you working longer hours? Can they comp you some time back? Easier to do than raises and bonuses typically.

The other thing mentioned above here which is true is this is an opportunity in itself and should generate future growth and advancement, which is your "bonus" for doing the extra work. If you aren't advancing in a timely manner or this concern isn't being addressed after multiple talks, you've got a legit beef.
Petrino1
The rules are different for valued, high potential employees, which it sounds like you are. Your boss saying that they would be devastated if you left means they value you a lot, and don't want to lose you. If you were some regular Joe Schmoe employee then for a raise would probably be frowned upon in this situation.

A good boss would have brought up the additional compensation conversation ahead of time. Your boss still might do this, but sounds like you may have to approach him first about it. If you bring up the likely increased number of hours you will be , plus the extra responsibility and duties, let him know that you would appreciate some kind of compensation bump or one time bonus for this. Reiterate how excited you are to keep adding value to the company and looking forward to the bright future ahead.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I am going to assume for the purpose of this comment that you are professionally accomplished. You may very well be a very effective manager, but I don't think you are a good boss based on what you are saying. I hope your primary motivation tactic isn't fear. There is a difference between being an effective manager and being a great boss.

In my opinion, you cannot get the best out of people when they are treated transactionally, especially in the long run. In my experience, employees involved in transactional situations generally do the minimum they are comfortable with. I try to create winning environments focused on outcomes, succeeding as a team, and innovating. I've had a lot of executive coaching over the years and this is a really consistent theme in building a high performing busIness.

Everyone gets burned from time to time, that does not mean that you should permanently adjust your character. I don't get upset or regret paying someone when they move on. You never know when they will be a future client, partner, or employer. I'm sorry about your dad, that really sucks.

Like you pointed out, you should use whatever style works for you. I'm just a guy who disagreed with you on the internet, be secure in who you are.
LostInLA07
AG
Curious where you are located?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
It feels like I'm located on American Airlines. I live in Dallas, however I have a global and domestic job, so I'm all over the place.
Ulrich
I've known people to demand a raise/promotion "or I'll quit", which I think is the right tactic in a very, very small proportion of all the circumstances in which a person believes himself to be underpaid or undertitled, but be prepared to walk on the spot if you go that route. Most of the outcomes are bad.
shihitemuslim
AG
If you feel that management values you being there than I would think there would be no problem for you to ask for a raise. Is this a position where you can be replaced. An an employer I really value my good employees. I given them periodic raises and talk to them all the time. Some are better than others and it just depends on the individual, so if you think they really value your time, then I would set up a meeting and tell them that you think you need to have an increase in your salary.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.