Job Network
Sponsored by

Interviewing for Executive position

5,908 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Goose06
TXAGGIES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am on my 4th round of interviews with a 1.0B+ business which is owned by PE.

I have had interviews with the VP of Finance, GM of the American business segment and the CFO and am being flown to DFW for a few more face to face interviews.

I have been given a salary range which is a decent increase, but at what point is it fair for me to ask my recruiter about total compensation? I do not want to waste everyone's time if while the salary is acceptable there is no bonus, rsu's, sar's or something similar. Also if the are going to cover relocation costs and equity I will be forgoing if I take this job before December vesting date.

I would be leaving a current executive position with a company I have grown with over the past 13 years and I have a lot of goodwill built up with so I am not just going to take any offer to give that up.

That being said the role sounds challenging and it gets me back to the DFW market.

Thanks for your help.
Ulrich
I recommend taking some of the company information out of your post so that it is less identifiable.
TXAGGIES
Done, thanks for the heads up.
Petrino1
Are you dealing with an internal or external recruiter? In any case you should establish compensation guidelines ASAP with the recruiter. Ask them about bonuses, stock options, equity etc. Let them know what it would take for you to make the switch before you go any further in the interview process. Better to not waste your time or their time. A good recruiter would've covered all of this info ahead of time.
TXAGGIES
External and I explained my current situation and comp early in the process and told them I am not looking to leave my current company but will listen. He said today after I mentioned it in passing with him, "I'm confident (business) can put together a competitive compensation package for you that would be more than just base salary. "

Then later replied, "Please start thinking about what you would need in order to make the move. Feel free to call me to discuss."
Goose06
AG
My opinion is you should not give much guidance on what it takes to get you to move. If they make you an offer your leverage will be high so long as you haven't given too much guidance on what type of offer you'd leave for. Whatever that is, you can do better. And if "better" is $50k per year then it's worth the chance you are wasting your time here in the meantime.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
What kind of executive role is base salary only? I personally wouldn't take one because you don't have that ability to influence your earnings.

Most places tend to be fairly upfront about how they pay once you are getting closer to the end. It is on the company to bring it up, so don't ask.

Perhaps this is obvious, but it should never be about the money only. If you've worked at a place for 13 years and have good will, that matters a lot. Working for a mid cap or small cap PE firm on salary only is risky in my opinion. I don't know where you are in earnings, but I would not personally be swayed over $100K in salary differential for a true executive position.
TXAGGIES
I do not think it is salary only, but that is all I have been given. Base increase would only be 10-15% but I currently get a lot of other compensation.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
It probably won't be worth it man, and the risk of not liking it will be high. Have you thought about asking your employer if you can work out of Dallas and travel every 3 weeks?
JoeOlson
AG
If you want to brainstorm on this over the phone, I'm happy to help. Send me a note - joe@onpartners.com
TXAGGIES
Thanks for the offer, but I am going to fly out next week and at least listen. I am not looking to leave my current role but the family wants back to Texas so they need to sell me on taking they role.
Al Bula
AG
Is the HR rep who will be in the interview a female and how hot is she?
TXAGGIES
Quick update. Flew to DFW last week, made a good impression and now I am flying to California next week,
but still have not received any indication of executive compensation packages, relo assistance etc.

This should be the final step of the process as I am making with the majority of the C Suite team.

Here's hoping the can produce an extremely competitive offer.
ABATTBQ87
AG
As a corporate recruiter I always find out the salary expectations of the candidate and let them know the compensation range for the position.
TXAGGIES
I have an idea on base comp but there is a lot more to compensation at my level besides base pay. RSUs, SARs, bonus potential, 401k match, will they buy out my vested options, will they pay my expected bonus (will be paid in Jan). None of that has been disclosed yet. Also is this 100% relocation, I assume so, but again no mention of it.
infinity ag
TXAGGIES said:

I have an idea on base comp but there is a lot more to compensation at my level besides base pay. RSUs, SARs, bonus potential, 401k match, will they buy out my vested options, will they pay my expected bonus (will be paid in Jan). None of that has been disclosed yet. Also is this 100% relocation, I assume so, but again no mention of it.

Did you get the job?
TXAGGIES
I am flying out a 3rd time next week. My recruiter said this should be the final one and that I am the leader for whatever that is worth.
kapon
AG
Good luck!
GIG 'EM!
TXAGGIES
So after 4-5 phone interviews, a flight to Texas to interview with 4 people and two flights to LA for more SLT interviews I get a call from the recruiter today stating that the PE firm nixed their plans of relocating the headquarters to Dallas, so the job in now being filled in Los Angeles.

What a waste of time.
cjo03
AG
TXAGGIES said:

What a waste of time.

Cost your time on their dime... to likely learn some valuable lessons for the next time you get headhunted.

Not trying to imply you did anything wrong - but I bet if you look hard enough you will see at least some value in the experience.
TXAGGIES
i did, it never hurts to do interviews with CFO's and CEO's to see the questions they ask and to work on developing the soft skills needed at the next level.

I just wish this wouldn't have carried on for a month plus if they had an idea that their plan was not going to be approved.
Petrino1
That sucks but look at it as a good networking opportunity. Who knows, they might have a position come open down the line and your name will be at the top of their list. Maybe they will refer you for another opportunity with one their contacts. Ive seen it happen so many times.
TXAGGIES
after about three weeks of waiting they reach back out with the following to my recruiter...
Quote:

Not sure if you reached out to TXAGGIES lately but we are still stuck at the same spot. Still trying to figure out the logistics of where to hire and timing of transition the roll. TXAGGIES is on top of the list if we decide to hire out of the DFW area.

Thanks
Jim
ChrisTAMU
AG
So they haven't completely eliminated the possibility of having personnel in DFW?
TXAGGIES
I guess not, I just think they are waiting for the approval from the PE firm. That could be a tough pill for a PE to approve when they are looking to trim any discretionary spending possible.

When I interviewed it was presented as they are moving, after a month of interviewing my recruiter told me it was staying in CA so I wrote off the opportunity, then today I got that email.
Goose06
AG
I am in a senior executive position at a PE backed company. Our PE sponsor is very involved in all of our senior level hires and it tends to take us a pretty long time to get them on board with VP and up level hires. I am sure all of our candidates feel like we are indecisive and get annoyed by how long the process takes. You would think a small company would be quick to make these decisions, but each hire at that level is critical and we tend to be overly conservative to make sure we don't make a bad hire. We also have 2 offices and the debates we have about the merits of a certain position in one location vs the other can also bog down our process...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.