Job Network
Sponsored by

Alternative Teaching Certificate - Tx

1,341 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tlh3842
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is in her 4th year of teaching (PK-8th) at a private school. She has a college degree, but not a teaching degree nor a teaching certification.

With her current experience, what is the easiest/best way for her to become eligible for a public school job?
_lefraud_
AG
Iteach Texas

A+ Texas teachers

Lots of programs out there. Realistically, she could get a job with a public school now, it would be a long shot, but definitely possible. She would still have to get certified through a program.
largelili
AG
I'm doing Texas Teachers. It isn't difficult.

But why oh why does your wife want to switch to public school? I am in my 4th week teaching at a public school, and it is nothing like I imagined. I'm regularly putting in 12-16 hour work days, and I'm still not getting everything done. Granted, I'm a Chemistry teacher and the sciences involve a lot of extra lab testing and set up time, but still. Public school is no picnic. I am balancing 200 kids - with about 30 SPED, 13 504 students, a few alternative school kids, a home bound student, and a sprinkle of non-English speakers. I have to create multiple lesson plans for every lesson I teach. I won't even talk about grading. Public school requires many, many modifications and accommodations. It's a huge struggle, and I likely won't return next year. Industry was much easier.

Stick to private school.
Vernada
AG
I don't think she does want to change. I was just wondering what the path would look like if it ever came up. Right now she's good with the devil she knows. ;-)
tlh3842
AG
My wife actually just started her first school year after going through Texas Teachers. She has her BS in Animal Science and wants to teach Ag. She tested for Agricultural/Animal Science (or whatever it's referred to). The studying and quizzes weren't bad. The final certification test was tougher. She went through the practice ones available which let her know she needed to study. It seems like a person just actually needs to really know the subject they're testing for, not just get by (if that makes sense). It was around $4-500 to start and do the course work portion. Took around 3 or 4 months, but she was pretty committed to knocking it out on nights and weekends while working full time. Each time you take the certification test per subject, it's a little over $100. Then for your "internship"/first school year, it's another ~$5000 or just less. They take it out of the paycheck though so not a full payment deal. You get a probationary certification after you pass the test, then once you complete the internship you get your full certification.

A few others she knew that went through Texas Teachers had similar thoughts as her. Hope this helps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.