Job Network
Sponsored by

New career path, looking for some stability

4,196 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tex_Ag_2017
SkierAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy! I have reached a point in my career with two young kids, and supportive and loving wife, to consider changing things up. I'm currently in the golf industry, and work on average 60+ hours a week, in some cases many days in a row over the shoulder seasons and summer months. Winter tends to be our only down time. My kids are growing, I've missed quite a bit and want to balance out so I can easily put my family first without feeling like I'm short changing work. I'm a golf course super, love what I do, but love the family exponentially more. Would love to be able to stay in the industry and work a stable job and have weekends off. Could be sales, or it could even be out of the industry. I'm open to looking into anything. I'm 36, live in Royse City, Tx.
"Anything less than your best is a felony"
HollywoodBQ
AG
User name does NOT check out.

Seriously though, could you move into a sales role of some sort that's related to your golf course experience? Clubs, Golf Carts, even the commercial landscaping business might be a fit.
farmersfight
AG
Check out some commercial landscape companies, either sales or management. I was in your shoes (no kids at the time) and had to move to Austin in the winter when all courses were at skeleton staff. I loved my job at the landscape company and the difference in hours was beyond great compared to what I was doing.
cevans_40
AG
I got out 3 years ago now. Still miss it. I started up a business making fertilizer and pesticide applications but it is just part-time as of now. Looking to grow the business and trying to find something that will pay the bills.
Win At Life
AG
Have you built up enough credibility where you work to just scale back your hours and stay in place? Or demand they hire you some help? Consistently working that many hours is the exact indication that hiring help is needed.

I already know your answer to the second option is that they can't, or won't, hire help, Then just scale back your time. If business suffers, because you put in less time, them management/owners will be forced to see the real problem. Will they actually fire you?
Texker
AG
Skier if I were you I would establish and build a lawn/landscape business until it can support your family. There are plenty of people out there doing the same but most can't manage their way out of a paper bag with a blow torch.
aggolfer
AG
As others have said - lawn/landscape business. Maybe focus on the acre+ lots that are popping up out there vs regular residential. Also for the best flexible schedule in general with good pay is the sales side. Talk to your sales guys that come out, mowers, carts, chemicals, etc.
Pahdz
Have you thought about the erosion control business? My company just purchased a company in DFW that specializes in erosion control and geosynthetics for road construction.

I have a colleague up here who is now our Geo/erosion guy who has turf science background who did your route. After golf he went to work for Profile Products, a hydromulch manufacturer.

Seems like with your background you'd have a lot of options. Toro, Rainbird, all those companies.

Good luck, if you are interested in erosion and fabrics let me know.
SkierAg
AG
Pahdz, shoot me an email. Would like to learn more
Bgc . Tinsley @ gmail
SkierAg
AG
Friendly bump....

Still looking and have been exhausting every avenue possible in terms of my industry. I'm leaning outside of the industry to get a new career going.
mattyd383
AG
I have a friend who does equipment sales to courses- They are in Hawaii but I'm sure it's all over. Partnering with john deere, ez-go or another company that would be in the same industry but better hours. Not sure on pay. Just an idea.

The PGA also has jobs posted on their website occasionally for tournament staff folks for specific events. I understand that to be you work for an event for the year aligning sponsors, working with the course, etc. Sorry this isn't super helpful but perhaps some other options to consider.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
cevans 40, would you mind emailing me? I would love to pick your brain with the fertilizing applications.
centxlawnservices@gmail.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.