Job Network
Sponsored by

Reimbursement question??

4,744 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by xMusashix
OilFieldIRI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I try to be fair and if I am not at a business dinner I will try and eat at Panera, McAllister's, etc. I could see an issue if I was eating at Pappadeaux's or a steak house every chance I had.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Depends on the company. I've had ones that give you a rate per person, per meal; ones that give you a lump sum per day and ones that prescribe how much can be spent on each meal - $10 breakfast, $15 lunch, $25 dinner. As long as you stay within whatever the company travel & entertainment policy says, you should be fine regardless of whether you're eating at Taco Bell or PF Changs.
TXAGFAN
AG
Meals are tricky. Some large professional firms I work for/with have stopped reimbursing lunches.
Mustang1
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Meals are tricky. Some large professional firms I work for/with have stopped reimbursing lunches.
I can understand team office lunches but while out of town on a biz trip?
TXAGFAN
AG
Mustang1 said:

TXAGFAN said:

I can understand team office lunches but while out of town on a biz trip?
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. They reimburse breakfast/dinner, not lunch. People get creative of course, but that is the policy.
combat wombat™
AG
That's because most professionals at large firms eat lunch out everyday anyway. It doesn't make a difference if they're out of town they be eating lunch out.
TXAGFAN
AG
combat wombat said:

That's because most professionals at large firms eat lunch out everyday anyway. It doesn't make a difference if they're out of town they be eating lunch out.
I agree, but still a silly rule.
Vernada
AG
combat wombat said:

I haven't heard of that. I work for a large co and haven't eaten lunch out in 6-8 months unless we were hosting visitors from out of town.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Do yourself a favor and gtfo as fast as you can. F them and their cheapskate policies. It is small meals now. It will be economy hotels or doubling up next. Policies are obviously made by fks that have never lived on the road and will never understand what it is like. Sure, you could stick it out and maybe the company hires a new person to manage all that stuff, but the bossman who made the current policy will be there and always against fair treatment. Build your resume, then jump to the competition as fast as you can and never look back. Loyalty means nothing.
aTm2004
AG
How is that not covered? Back when I had a position that had quite a bit of travel, their policy stated that if you were back home (your city) by 4 pm, dinner wasn't covered (which means you only got $20 per diem that day rather than $40).
aTm2004
AG
OilFieldIRI said:

I work from home in San Antonio most of the time and only visit Houston (home office) when requested too.

Now that I've read to this, this is probably why. My dad travels 100% for work, but on the off chance he has a week or two where he doesn't have to travel, he works from his house in the Houston area even though he's "based" in Little Rock. The few times he's had to actually go to Little Rock for a meeting, hotel, travel, etc were all on him.
terradactylexpress
Op hasn't responded to the question about his remote working. To me it sounds like they have already bent over to accommodate a remote working instead of someone who would live/work in Houston and be at the office for meetings etc
[img]http://www.unicron.us/tf1985/cartoon/dinobots2.jpg[/img]
one MEEN Ag
AG
Dino Express above me hit the nail on the head.

Sounds like you're working for a small company who is used to having everyone in the office and you're already bending the rules by telecommuting. As far as the head office is concerned, you're not really traveling to a far flung city for business - you're supposed to already be in Houston full time. OG is tight right now, and while this might be covered by a bigger company who has a defined telecommuting policy, it sounds like your boss is telling you to not rock the boat here.

Chicken sandwiches be damned, that is a cheap price to pay to get the opportunity to telecommute.

xMusashix
AG
A bigger company would most likely have a defined telecommuting policy that is line with tax law and what the company can write off and what the company cannot.

If they define your tax home where the head office is, then they cannot write off your expenses unless their is a reason to. If your situation is that you asked for the telecommuting, then they cannot write off your expenses when they tell you to come in.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.