Job Network
Sponsored by

Recent Graduate Looking for Opportunities in Houston

2,656 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rock Ag
Rock Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am a recent graduate with a dual masters in geology and petroleum engineering and I am looking for opportunities in Houston. It has been 8 months since I graduated from grad school and I have been looking to get into the upstream O&G industry. Ive been offered a job twice but neither of them ended up working out, with one cancelling the position due to financial reasons and the other rescinding an offer. At this point I am just ready to start working so I am looking into other industries besides oil and gas. I am not exactly sure how I can pivot with a geology and petroleum engineering degree but if anyone is looking for someone with a technical background, I am open to almost anything. I am open to suggestions and advice about which roles I would be suited for and possible career paths. Thanks for all your help.
bmac_aggie18
AG
I would get on LinkedIn and search "Engineer" in "Houston" with the "Oil and Energy" industry applied and just start applying through that. Also be sure to call the HR of whoever it is you're applying with and give them a heads up you submitted your resume and how you'd be a good fit etc.
Trident14
AG
Tough market for recent grads. Keep tabs of Enervest's career page - they sometimes have opportunities that could match. Also, go on LinkedIn to add Corporate Recruiters from your target companies. As soon as they accept, drop a resume in a message and let them know you are available and looking.
jaggiemaggie
AG
https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/3046400
Rock Ag
AG
Thanks for the tips guys. I've been applying on line and emailing the hiring manager since entry level applications seem to get stuck in a black hole. I've also reached out about the field engineer position that was posted as well.
RAB87
AG
You MUST take a systemic approach to networking. Jobs are almost never earned by applying online unless the applicant has a personal connection within the hiring company. My son is in a position that is remarkably like yours - and he's having some breakthroughs I can share if you want to DM.
Rock Ag
AG
I have been trying to network as much as posaible. I attend all of the HGS and SPE events and will try to attend more of the A&M lunches as well. Networking has been how I have gotten most of my interviews so it would be great to hear your advice as well.
Rock Ag
AG
Rock Ag
AG
I'd also like to emphasize at this point I am no longer looking for just geology or engineering positions. If anyone knows of any positions which my technical background would be a great fit for, please let me know and I'd be happy to pass my resume along.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.