Job Network
Sponsored by

Unexpected Phone Interview

2,207 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BrazosDog02
coop-aero-06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been with my current employer for 5 years, and am very happy, but I've started getting several recruiters contacting me on LinkedIn with job opportunities. I read through most of them and politely decline, but I had one recently that interested me so I replied to the recruiter on LinkedIn and said I'm interested in learning more about the position. She responded back and asked when would be a good time to call and chat about it, and I said she could call me that evening after work.

I got a call from her that evening after I got home, and after a few brief introductions and basic stuff like "tell me about what you've been working on" it went into full-on phone interview mode. "Describe a situation where you did this..." "Tell me about the most challenging project you worked on and how did you solve it...", etc. Needless to say, I didn't do well. I was completely unprepared for a string of interview questions. She emailed a few days later and said they won't be moving forward with me.

I haven't been on the job hunt for over 5 years now, and I guess my question is: is this normal? Saying "when would be a good time to chat about the job?" does not equal "phone interview", to me, at least.
Sims
AG
Seems pretty normal for recruiters. One phone call or in person interview to establish a profile and they're off to the races.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
HollywoodBQ
AG
These days, LinkedIn is your resume and recruiters are ruthless when it comes to finding candidates to fit the open reqs they've got. I'm constantly bombarded with recruiter contacts.

The good news is that you've now experienced this so you'll be prepared next time - when you find yourself in an interview for a job that you weren't even looking for.

One other tidbit I'll offer is that when recruiters contact you, if you wind up speaking with them, even if you're not the right fit for the current job they're trying to source for, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months from now, they might remember that they spoke with you when they find something that you would be a better fit for.

I had applied to a job for a big bank and didn't get it. But like 4 weeks later, a job with an entertainment company came open and it was something I was perfectly suited for. Luckily, I had made a good impression on the recruiter who was sourcing for the bank job and boom!
coop-aero-06
AG
Thanks for the replies. Now I'll know for the next time this happens. We definitely left things on good terms, so we'll see what happens down the line.
Astroag
AG
if this is the norm, then it sounds like you should be interviewing at every opportunity to stay sharp? What say you texags?

Do you interview even if you are happy with your current role?
HollywoodBQ
AG
I wouldn't interview all the time but, I would do a couple of things, even if you love your job and are happy with your management.

Keep up with what's going on in your industry, innovation, competitors, etc.

Build your network. Former colleagues, folks you met at an industry event, trade show, Aggies, etc.

Every year or two, make sure you update your resume, look at available jobs that would help with your career and life goals.

You'll hear the old saying that the best time to look for a job is when you have a job. That's totally true.

Things change so quickly these days with mergers, acquisitions, etc. You never know when your team or your business unit will get made redundant.

In my most recent case, I was a subject matter expert in a couple of software products that had a huge install base and strong revenue. But, 2 years post merger, I found myself out on the street. It happens. Luckily, I had a good track record and a strong network. I landed on my feet in no time.

Admittedly, job stability in IT is probably less than other industries but, I think these strategies will help you out regardless of industry.
cjo03
AG
Play harder to get. Many folks consider the first phone call a first interview. Whether it gets into specific questions or not.

It'd take something pretty special for me to hop on the phone with a recruiter the same day they contacted me out of the blue.

Next time, shoot back a few thoughtful and specific questions/comments about what interested you. You can also throw in an "availability is limited this week, but can make myself available next week"...

Ulrich
I'll never pick up the phone immediately, but that's mostly because I'm busy.

I've never had the first call turn into a hardcore interview.

I have had the first call turn into an overly specific d*** measuring contest where the recruiter tries to impress and confuse me with a bonus program that is worse than what I already have. Most recruiters are very dumb, and at least half are fishing for dumbasses who will generate an easy commission.

Some recruiters are fantastic though, so always go in with an open mind and a few minutes of preparation. It only takes one good match to alter your career permanently.
m.stat
AG
All good advice. I would add in that specific situation, handle the introductions and let her know that while now is not a good time to have a conversation, you'd like to set up a time with her to talk further. She will understand due to an evening call (family, evening plans, etc.) and it allows you some time to gather your thoughts so you are better prepared for the phone interview.
Astroag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I wouldn't interview all the time but, I would do a couple of things, even if you love your job and are happy with your management.

Keep up with what's going on in your industry, innovation, competitors, etc.

Build your network. Former colleagues, folks you met at an industry event, trade show, Aggies, etc.

Every year or two, make sure you update your resume, look at available jobs that would help with your career and life goals.

You'll hear the old saying that the best time to look for a job is when you have a job. That's totally true.

Things change so quickly these days with mergers, acquisitions, etc. You never know when your team or your business unit will get made redundant.

In my most recent case, I was a subject matter expert in a couple of software products that had a huge install base and strong revenue. But, 2 years post merger, I found myself out on the street. It happens. Luckily, I had a good track record and a strong network. I landed on my feet in no time.

Admittedly, job stability in IT is probably less than other industries but, I think these strategies will help you out regardless of industry.
Great advice Hollywood! Thanks for the insight.
coop-aero-06
AG
Good stuff everyone, thanks. Maybe I'll respond to a few more of these just to stay sharp, and also prepare better for the calls when they do occur.
BrazosDog02
AG
Sounds like you dodged a bullet. If I get interview questions that are the same old rookie behavioral types like you mentioned in the OP then I know the interviewer doesn't know what they are doing AND/OR the position is not well defined AND/OR it's a non specific role that a person can be fitted to by way of a questionnaire. Regardless, I'm not interested in working for them. I find them to be mindless and a waste of your time/expertise. You should expend effort on them accordingly.

I would continue to use linked in to get interviews like this in order to hone the skill of controlling the interview. If I can interrupt the barrage of BS questions and get the interviewer talking about real stuff like the job, then I feel like I can get somewhere.
Ulrich
Yes, but if you were a mountain range, which one would you be and why?
Buck Compton
AG
Ulrich said:

The Rockies, 'cause that's where they make Keystone, and that got me through college. When do I start?
BrazosDog02
AG
Ulrich said:

Wait a second, Mr. HAR dude, I just did this Facebook quiz. Let me find it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.