Job Network
Sponsored by

Provide past work/papers to employers?

1,733 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by littlebitofhifi
rmp15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello all,

Yesterday I had an interview with an oil and gas company for a Financial Analyst position. I have about 4 years experience in oil and gas and just obtained my MBA in December of last year. Because of the position we talked a lot about the work that I did in my MBA.

I am contemplating sending them examples of my work (I have several directly related to finance in oil and gas) as it allows me to standout a little bit through my work and gives me an opportunity to reach back out to them so I am fresh in their mind. I was the first one to interview and they have a couple more people to interview this week.

My question to the board is your thoughts on if it would be a good idea to provide examples of my work to the employer or would be inappropriate?

TIA
aezmvp
It's in appropriate if it's work product for another company. It'd put me off as to what you might do while working for me.
rmp15
AG
Sorry, should have clarified. I'd only provide papers or case studies from my MBA program, no work done for another company. We talked about work done for those classes a lot in the interview. That's why I bring it up
mAgnoliAg
AG
Maybe should've had it in the interview while it was on topic?
rmp15
AG
I explained all of it well, I was mostly wanting to use this as an excuse to reach back out to them. Maybe this is wrong, but I've always felt you have a little disadvantage when you're the first one to be interviewed
Vernada
AG
rmp15 said:

Sorry, should have clarified. I'd only provide papers or case studies from my MBA program, no work done for another company. We talked about work done for those classes a lot in the interview. That's why I bring it up
I don't see an issue with providing them work from your MBA program - unless it was done with confidential info from your current job.
littlebitofhifi
AG
As a hiring manager, I wouldn't look at it. No offense to the work done but if we'd already discussed it in the interview, that's probably all I need to know and I don't have time to look at case work on the side.

If you're looking for an excuse to reach out, just send a link to an interesting, published article on the topic or a well-written thank you email, specifically mentioning that you'd enjoyed the discussion around x,y,z topics and look forward to hearing from them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.