Job Network
Sponsored by

Just looking for some career/job guidance

1,570 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgLA06
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To anyone who reads this, thank you. I am exploring new career/job options so if anyone has specific openings or recommendations that would be greatly appreciated. But my motivation for posting this is simply hoping to receive some advice and direction from my fellow Ags.

I am one of the lucky few people who has always been able to say that I truly love my job. I've been working here since I got out of school (2016) and after the first six months I knew that this was what I wanted to do the rest of my life. I work for an independent financial planning and insurance agency that has a very unique business model and a unique client base. I honestly don't think I could have made it selling insurance in the traditional model (Farm Bureau, Aflac, etc.) but I love what I do here because I feel that we provide an unmatched product and service that truly helps people. And it doesn't hurt that the money is nice, haha.

However, working in a small business, you constantly have to be ahead of changes in the market to be able to adjust before it's too late. For the last couple years I have been monitoring some concerning signs outside the control of our agency. If they developed as I feared (I had hoped it was just paranoia) I knew they would have a BIG affect on our company. Well, three weeks ago I finally received confirmation that some developments I had feared were indeed coming down the pipe. And it looks like they will be worse than I had imagined could come this soon.

I am now realizing that this business may not be the 50 year career I had hoped for. Luckily, I am in a situation where I'm not going to be out of a job in weeks, or a month, or probably even a year. But I do now know that I need to explore my options for a career change. My problem is that I have no idea what I would want to do and I don't know where to start looking. I firmly believe that I can be highly successful in just about any job that doesn't require highly specialized training (engineer, doctor, etc), but unfortunately I don't think I could sell insurance for any company other than the one I'm currently at. I have experience in management, sales, customer service, marketing, and more just from my time here at this small business plus other endeavors in my background. I have a History degree from A&M. I'm 26 years old, willing to live pretty much anywhere in Texas (and open to more for the right situation) and pretty much the only things I'm looking for are to make good money and to provide a service that I believe helps people (because that's where I feel I am able to do my best work).

If anyone has any advice for a 26 year old with a History degree who is now looking for a career change and doesn't know where to go, I'd greatly appreciate it. For the time being I am working as hard as I can to make this business successful both long and short-term in the wake of the coming changes. But I know that I need to face the reality that I most likely won't be here in two years. I don't expect many to read this but if any of you do and have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
ringrit
Have you ever considered fundraising? It may not be something that's ever crossed your mind, but you have a lot of the skills that a front line fundraiser would need. It might not ever make you rich, but it's definitely something you can make a career of with a lot of room for advancement.

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=40c10fd5-a68d-43dc-89d5-d333e778eca2
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Well for starters, I am trying to find people for our locations who are going to be 'highly successful in whatever field they choose'

We found a few crossovers in industries prime for changing and dove into it. Maybe spend a min and check us out. If you're searching for compensation many of our guys pass 6 figures and many of us ( including myself) are under ~30

https://ecozapphvac.com/homeowner-support-blogs/2019/6/27/continued-growth-opens-more-additional-positions-at-ecozapp-recruiting-additional-experienced-candidates-in-residential-hvac

AgOutsideAustin
AG
^^^^^^^
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
AgOutsideAustin said:

^^^^^^^

"But a thought.. maybe don't listen to much , any advice on the interwebs with anonymous ppl about that subject matter if one is gonna be successful

Ulrich
EDIT: I'm trying to be a nicer person so I'll remove the colorful sarcasm.

However, I would advise against getting involved with ecozapp.
AgLA06
AG
Maybe look at private banking wings of the large banking institutions. They offer a lot of similar services to what describe. My understanding is they form teams of people with specialty experience (insurance, investing, cpa, sales, etc) for each segment of accounts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.