Job Network
Sponsored by

Meeting with executive...

2,319 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by m48xhp
Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was recently asked to sit down with one of our executives so he can get to know me. I understand that most of this discussion will be personal in nature--he does it with with folks from time to time. We just moved over to his department and he has no clue about what my team does. Fortune 500 company.

Any tips on what I can ask him, besides questions on his personal life? I think this is an opportunity to leave an impression, but I don't want to embellish my work performance--it speaks for itself. I feel like this is an interview of sorts.

CheladaAg
AG
I'd do as much background research on the CEO (past work experiences, hobbies, volunteer work, interests) and try to plant some comments/questions into the conversation...great for ice breaking. Oh and look calm and confident with a radiant smile.
Tree Hugger
AG
If you can find a common interest that will help them remember you better, that's always a good thing, plus it just makes conversation easy.
FourAggies
AG
This is one of my favorite interview questions for people with experience, Tell me about a career defining moment...one that shaped who you are at work. You generally get answers that talk about real struggles, risk taking, and overcoming.

For people above me my favorite question is, What keeps you awake at night? They all know what it is immediately, but if they are willing to be open it can be very insightful.

Also, be prepared to answer them yourself, if he returns the questions.
ATM9000
AG
Executives have very little time and they really value it like basically every highly successful person does. I say that for 3 reasons: one is somebody (and possibly not the executive but somebody who works closely with them) has considered you valuable enough that you are worth knowing so that's a good thing and a high compliment. The other is when they say 'personal' don't expect it to be about your life... it will be career focused... Highly likely very little will be about each other's families and hobbies. The last thing is the executive doesn't need you to know them as much as they need to know you if they are asking for your time. All that's to say that a get to know you meeting isn't close to an interview, but it is mostly going to be about you.

With time being valuable, you need to be able to tell them what you or your team does in like 60 seconds and make sure you can speak to like 1-2 really cool things your team and you have done. Not too much detail just what's been done to add value lately and focus on the added value. You'll get asked about next role you want and career aspirations... be ready for that and be direct and open... no answers like 'I'm open to anything if the opportunity is right'. Of course you are so that's a bull**** answer... they want to know what you WANT to do not what you are open to.

In terms of questions, ask a few things around your company's strategy, how your team fits in, his perception of it and where it could improve. At the end of it, ask for a frequent catchup.
IrishTxAggie
AG
ATM9000 nailed it. If you do have a chance to talk personal and y'all are both golfers, I always like getting execs on a golf course and enjoying a few beers. Could be an opportunity for one of your follow-ups. Can learn a lot about a man/woman when they golfs. I work for a much much smaller company now, but it was always an easy way to get people to relax and open up a bit more.
m48xhp
Great advice above from ATM9000. I definitely agree with being direct with answers to a direct question. Never give an answer like "I just want to be in a position where I can do...."

Remember, they will want to hear what you will do for the company, not what you wish the company would do for you. They don't want to hear how "busy" you or your department are.

If you ask them questions, don't ask questions where they don't hear what you are going to do for them. Rather than asking "What got you into this industry?", ask "What are some of the things you feel we can do better as a company?" or "What keeps you up at night?" This gives them the impression you are looking for gaps you or your department need to fill. That is what is in it for them.

Good luck
:insert random comment here:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.