Job Network
Sponsored by

Career Path - Sports Management

2,278 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ABHag
ABHag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy! I'm a student veteran and a December 2019 graduate looking to start his masters in sports management shortly after. I've worked as a sports marketing and media liaison for a little over a year, I am currently a viceroy for Barstool Sports (since August 2018), and begin an internship with the Brazos Valley Bombers in the summer. Just looking for advice from people in the industry, anything would help. Thanks and Gig Em!
hot dog
AG
What part of the sports industry are you trying to work in?

98Ag99Grad
AG
From you OP, you have already done more sports related work than anyone else I know with that degree, including myself, so congrats on working your way through that field.
m48xhp
what exactly do you want to do? That would help with what advice to give. Otherwise, my advice would be that you will expect hard work for not a lot of money - but can be very rewarding if money is no object and hours worked don't matter. I, personally chose to not pursue a career in sports after I graduated in 07. Turned out to be a great decision for me.
ABHag
AG
hot dog said:

What part of the sports industry are you trying to work in?

I'd like to work for a university, maybe in the sports marketing department. Long term goal I'd like to work my way up to Sports Information Director or Athletic Director. I met with a woman who works at the independence bowl and she said id be easy for me to get into game-day security with my military background. I've enjoyed working with sports media but I think if need to go into journalism if I wanted to go any further.
ABHag
AG
m48xhp said:

what exactly do you want to do? That would help with what advice to give. Otherwise, my advice would be that you will expect hard work for not a lot of money - but can be very rewarding if money is no object and hours worked don't matter. I, personally chose to not pursue a career in sports after I graduated in 07. Turned out to be a great decision for me.

I was in the military before school so long work hours for little pay is something I'm used to haha. But I love working in the industry. My answer about where I want to worn and goals is in the post above.
hot dog
AG
You definitely take a pay cut working in sports when comparing the salaries to those in similar roles in a non-athletics organization. However, there are definitely decent salaries out there once you get into the upper-mid level roles. Working in sports doesn't necessarily mean you have to be broke.

Networking is absolutely critical to landing sports jobs. When it comes to job postings at universities, many (I'd even say most) of the job postings you see are typically created for a specific person in mind, and the hiring organization only has the posting to fulfill some sort of hiring law or regulation. You have to network your ass off to get the inside scoop and become that person that the posting was created for.

Go find people that work in the sector of sports you want to be in on Linkedin. Read their profiles and get a general sense of their background, and then reach out either directly on Linkedin or on Twitter and see if they'd be willing to give you the opportunity to pick their brain. Find out how they got to where they are, and see what advice they'd be willing to share for someone trying to follow the same path. As a veteran (and if you're comfortable doing so), you're likely able to take advantage of your background and create a very unique "elevator pitch" style of cold message that would get a good response rate. Reach out to as many people as possible - I think you might be surprised at how many complete strangers will be willing to help.

Take total advantage of your status as a student as well. It's so much easier to ask for (and receive) opportunities while you're carrying the student label. If your financial situation can stand it, try your best to land an internship directly in the segment of sports you want to work in. There's a good chance the pay will be minimum wage (if anything at all), but that work experience and the people you interface with during the internship will be key to snagging a full-time role following graduation. And, when you get that internship, do not treat it like an internship. Don't make it seem like you're just there to get experience. Treat every day as if it's a tryout for a full-time job. Every day you're busting your ass trying to stand out from the other interns so that after graduation you can count on solid recommendations from the full-timers in the department you worked in. Once again, that network is critical to landing a sports job.

One last thing - your chances of succeeding in finding a job in sports will increase substantially if you're willing to move. Use this link and this link to hunt for opportunities. If your goal is to work in major college athletics, do your best to start at a big school instead of attempting to work your way up from a D2 or D3 school. From what I've been told, it's incredibly hard to move up the ladder in athletic divisions if you start at a small school.

That's about all I have. A lot of it is common sense - work hard and constantly work to grow your network. Do whatever it takes to stand out. Take advantage of being a student. Keep these things in mind and you'll find success.

ABHag
AG
hot dog said:

You definitely take a pay cut working in sports when comparing the salaries to those in similar roles in a non-athletics organization. However, there are definitely decent salaries out there once you get into the upper-mid level roles. Working in sports doesn't necessarily mean you have to be broke.

Networking is absolutely critical to landing sports jobs. When it comes to job postings at universities, many (I'd even say most) of the job postings you see are typically created for a specific person in mind, and the hiring organization only has the posting to fulfill some sort of hiring law or regulation. You have to network your ass off to get the inside scoop and become that person that the posting was created for.

Go find people that work in the sector of sports you want to be in on Linkedin. Read their profiles and get a general sense of their background, and then reach out either directly on Linkedin or on Twitter and see if they'd be willing to give you the opportunity to pick their brain. Find out how they got to where they are, and see what advice they'd be willing to share for someone trying to follow the same path. As a veteran (and if you're comfortable doing so), you're likely able to take advantage of your background and create a very unique "elevator pitch" style of cold message that would get a good response rate. Reach out to as many people as possible - I think you might be surprised at how many complete strangers will be willing to help.

Take total advantage of your status as a student as well. It's so much easier to ask for (and receive) opportunities while you're carrying the student label. If your financial situation can stand it, try your best to land an internship directly in the segment of sports you want to work in. There's a good chance the pay will be minimum wage (if anything at all), but that work experience and the people you interface with during the internship will be key to snagging a full-time role following graduation. And, when you get that internship, do not treat it like an internship. Don't make it seem like you're just there to get experience. Treat every day as if it's a tryout for a full-time job. Every day you're busting your ass trying to stand out from the other interns so that after graduation you can count on solid recommendations from the full-timers in the department you worked in. Once again, that network is critical to landing a sports job.

One last thing - your chances of succeeding in finding a job in sports will increase substantially if you're willing to move. Use this link and this link to hunt for opportunities. If your goal is to work in major college athletics, do your best to start at a big school instead of attempting to work your way up from a D2 or D3 school. From what I've been told, it's incredibly hard to move up the ladder in athletic divisions if you start at a small school.

That's about all I have. A lot of it is common sense - work hard and constantly work to grow your network. Do whatever it takes to stand out. Take advantage of being a student. Keep these things in mind and you'll find success.

Thank you so much for the advice! I'll be sure to keep a bookmark here to keep referring back to. Hard work has never been an issue with me and I'll be sure to keep my network growing. Again thank you for taking the time to help me or whoever else reads this out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.