Job Network
Sponsored by

Possible move from Houston to Dallas?

2,426 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by matthewj042
matthewj042
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Roughly 3 year commitment, but could be permanent if we continue to pick up work there

What do you ask for?

Increase in pay? Guarantee bonus?
Moving expenses and allowances? Closing cost of buying and selling houses?
Perdiem? How much for a family of 3? Should we rent?
What else am I missing

For those that have done it before. What would you do differently if you could do it over?

Any advice is appreciated
10andBOUNCE
AG
Obligatory Dallas > Houston
Vernada
AG
I don't think there's enough info for anyone to offer any solid advice.

Does your company have any policies around relocation?
How is it 'roughly' a 3 year commitment?
What does this mean for your future opportunities/growth?

In general, if getting asked to relocate to help with the company growth plan, that would typically come with some kind of promotion/raise.

If it is a known temp role, in my previous companies that would have included either an apartment, extended stay hotel, and/or per diem depending on the project/assignment.
matthewj042
AG
No standard policies around relocation

The plan is to start a new satellite office in Dallas since we have many clients there, but the project we were awarded is a 3 year schedule.
TMoney2007
AG
3 Years is just the right amount of time for an entry level BMW sedan lease... see if you can get that rolled up into the offer... You do want to fit in, don't you???
Aggie09Derek
AG
Vernada
AG
matthewj042 said:

No standard policies around relocation

The plan is to start a new satellite office in Dallas since we have many clients there, but the project we were awarded is a 3 year schedule.
Have they offered you anything yet?

Do you want to relocate?

I think I'd ask for an apartment and a per diem to be in effect until there's more certainty - ie the officially ask you to relocate to run a satellite office.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to deal with selling, buying, moving homes for a 3-year deal.
BTD
BTD
TMoney2007 said:

3 Years is just the right amount of time for an entry level BMW sedan lease... see if you can get that rolled up into the offer... You do want to fit in, don't you???

This.
TXAGGIES
I have been relocated 3 times in 5 years. Our standard package is
$10,000 lump sum to cover house hunting trips and other costs
100% Realtor and closing costs
Packing, moving/storage, unpacking of household goods
Final move costs, mileage, hotels, meals to new location
90 days temporary housing (extendable if house not sold)

In addition to that I always check cost of living and request a raise in addition to a Cola adjustment

Final item I ask for is a retention bonus, basically enough to cover my move back if the company is sold, closed down, or my position is downsized. I want to cover myself in that case.
Hoyt Ag
AG
TXAGGIES said:

I have been relocated 3 times in 5 years. Our standard package is
$10,000 lump sum to cover house hunting trips and other costs
100% Realtor and closing costs
Packing, moving/storage, unpacking of household goods
Final move costs, mileage, hotels, meals to new location
90 days temporary housing (extendable if house not sold)

In addition to that I always check cost of living and request a raise in addition to a Cola adjustment

Final item I ask for is a retention bonus, basically enough to cover my move back if the company is sold, closed down, or my position is downsized. I want to cover myself in that case.
I moved late last year and this was what was given to me, but I was only given 30 days temp living (could have been extended if needed). The retention bonus is important.
Synopsis
TMoney2007 said:

Yes. Go for it. Show up those 30K millionaires in Dallas.

Personally, I MUCH prefer Fort Worth/Tarrant County. If you so desired, you could take the TRE from Fort Worth to DT Dallas if you don't want to deal with some pretty nasty traffic.
matthewj042
AG
Is the mentality really that different?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.