Job Network
Sponsored by

2nd Job/Career Change Advice

3,678 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DoubleE65
DoubleE65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently work in sales for a small, specialized oilfield service company. However my boss (owner) doesn't intend to add any new customers so I'm essentially just making sure current customers are taken care of and things are running smoothly which leaves a lot to be desired on my end. Pay and benefits are good but I have a ton of down time and I feel like I'm not gaining anything from this job.

I'd like to pick up a second job as my current one requires me on location ~6-8 days/month, otherwise I can handle what I need to remotely. I currently live in BCS and travel when needed.

Any advice on what kind of 2nd job I could pick up with that sort of availability? I'd also be interested in a total change in jobs for the right opportunity. My background is sales and event management/fundraising prior to that. I have undergrad and graduate degrees in sport management and was a 4-yr letterman under Mike Sherman.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

EE
texan12
Find a hobby that can turn into a business or volunteer at an organization that could lead to contacts. Jobs that aren't demanding seem great for those who work non-stop or have a horrible boss, but it really kills the drive for those who have great work ethic and are seeking a passion.
DoubleE65
AG
I agree that some would find my situation favorable but for someone like me with a lot of drive and the need for attainable short and longterm goals it causes a lot of frustration and low job satisfaction.
DoubleE65
AG
Bump
Ragoo
AG
Why not call Hunter Goodwin and see if he needs sales for his commercial RE business?
DoubleE65
JamesPShelley
Examine your current resume language with that of the candidate requirements and qualifications for those opportunities you will be pursuing, ensuring that the resume bullet point language aligns with those opportunity descriptions. That may require a revision of the existing bullet point language.

You want every word to further qualify you for those opportunities, thus improving your chances for receiving interview invitations.

Best wishes!
aggiez03
AG
Ragoo said:

Why not call Hunter Goodwin and see if he needs sales for his commercial RE business?
My thought was real estate as well. No set hours, no real schedule. If the broker knows going in that you are doing it 15 days per month, I wouldn't think they would have to much a problem with it. You earn your paycheck when you sell, so not a big commitment from the broker.
DoubleE65
AG
It's been a thought but BCS has about 1200 realtors as it is, not that I'm worried about competition. Commercial side may be a good option.
Meximan
If sales and marketing is your thing, think up a product and sell it, or find a company who needs a part time marketing rep. Or pick up a hobby where you can sell a product, like something in crafting. Or learn guitar and record music.

I'm just spitballing. If I had your kind of job, I'd have time to write again, for instance.

Maybe consider mentoring in your field for some extra change, or do consulting.
DoubleE65
PFG
AG
Any chance you'd be willing to share more info about your primary job? Something like that would be what I need for my family. Wondering how to find something similar across the state.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
PooDoo
AG
I'm sure MF Barnes would love a protege with your resume.
DoubleE65
AG
Sales for a small specialized service company that does very well and is happy with the amount of work currently.
Rusty GCS
AG
What about hosting youth OL clinics?
DoubleE65
AG
Bump.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.