Job Network
Sponsored by

Tips re: opportunities with a direct competitor

2,096 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by txagman1998
txagman1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently I was contacted by a company recruiter regarding an opportunity. The company that contacted me is a direct competitor. Due to recent circumstances at my current place of employment, I am considering talking to the recruiter just to see if this is something I should pursue.

That being said, does anyone have any tips/experience in speaking with a direct competitor about a job? Should I make my resume a little less detailed regarding accomplishments so I don't give away private information? I have always read that it's best to use specific numbers (for example, "my recommendation led to a 10% increase in sales). But in this case, it seems like I shouldn't use specific information. Should I request any interviews happen either virtually or offsite so I don't see anything I shouldn't see?

Any tips anyone has would be appreciated.
Petrino1
You're likely over thinking this; this type of thing happens all the time. Most new hires at companies are poached from their competitors. Just go to the interview and see what they have to say.
decent looking Ag
txagman1998 said:

Recently I was contacted by a company recruiter regarding an opportunity. The company that contacted me is a direct competitor. Due to recent circumstances at my current place of employment, I am considering talking to the recruiter just to see if this is something I should pursue.

That being said, does anyone have any tips/experience in speaking with a direct competitor about a job? Should I make my resume a little less detailed regarding accomplishments so I don't give away private information? I have always read that it's best to use specific numbers (for example, "my recommendation led to a 10% increase in sales). But in this case, it seems like I shouldn't use specific information. Should I request any interviews happen either virtually or offsite so I don't see anything I shouldn't see?

You are spot on with the part I bolded. You have a fiduciary duty to your employer, and if you disclose anything in your resume or other application materials that your employer considers confidential or proprietary (even if you don't think it is) you could be in a world of hurt later. This is especially the case when you interview with a primary competitor, right before you go to work there. I would be a little more guarded than usual.
LostInLA07
AG
Fiduciary duty? No way unless he's an officer or sits on their board.
decent looking Ag
LostInLA07 said:

The term "fiduciary" is a tad oversimplified. If you want to get technical, all employees owe a duty of loyalty to their employers (at the very least), which is one of the duties wrapped up within the fiduciary duty. However, despite that distinction, Texas courts have called the employee duty quasi-fiduciary or fiduciary in nature, and some have even just called it fiduciary. Employees get sued for breach of fiduciary duty all the time, even if they aren't officers or board members, and even if they don't have a non-compete or employment contract that lays out the scope of their duty. I've been on both sides of those cases. Just some practical advice.
Goose06
AG
At a minimum I'd interview to try to learn about my competitor. No way would I suggest doing the interview offsite. If they bring me in their office and share all their secrets, that's their call. If I'm intent on staying at my current employer I might even purposely mislead them about my companies secrets. With all of that said, you can't do this in a manner that is obvious and burns a bridge, you have to be subtle.
schmellba99
AG
decent looking Ag said:

txagman1998 said:

You are spot on with the part I bolded. You have a fiduciary duty to your employer, and if you disclose anything in your resume or other application materials that your employer considers confidential or proprietary (even if you don't think it is) you could be in a world of hurt later. This is especially the case when you interview with a primary competitor, right before you go to work there. I would be a little more guarded than usual.
A resume is a place where it is perfectly acceptable to brag on yourself and your accomplishments, if you can't do that - and stating that you helped increase sales by 10% is not outletting of industry secrets or proprietary information - then there is absolutely no point to a resume and you'll never have the ability to market yourself.

Increasing sales, reducing costs, increasing profit margin, etc. are not company or proprietary information in of themselves. If you bring internal company financials to your competitor, sure, you'd have some issues - but stating that you were instrumental in bringing success is not anywhere close to crossing the line.
JamesPShelley
schmellba99 said:

decent looking Ag said:

txagman1998 said:

A resume is a place where it is perfectly acceptable to brag on yourself and your accomplishments, if you can't do that - and stating that you helped increase sales by 10% is not outletting of industry secrets or proprietary information - then there is absolutely no point to a resume and you'll never have the ability to market yourself.

Increasing sales, reducing costs, increasing profit margin, etc. are not company or proprietary information in of themselves. If you bring internal company financials to your competitor, sure, you'd have some issues - but stating that you were instrumental in bringing success is not anywhere close to crossing the line.
+1
ATM9000
AG
decent looking Ag said:

LostInLA07 said:

The term "fiduciary" is a tad oversimplified. If you want to get technical, all employees owe a duty of loyalty to their employers (at the very least), which is one of the duties wrapped up within the fiduciary duty. However, despite that distinction, Texas courts have called the employee duty quasi-fiduciary or fiduciary in nature, and some have even just called it fiduciary. Employees get sued for breach of fiduciary duty all the time, even if they aren't officers or board members, and even if they don't have a non-compete or employment contract that lays out the scope of their duty. I've been on both sides of those cases. Just some practical advice.
I think that's all true. What makes your advice not practical though is just saying 'increased sales 10%' or something like that probably wouldn't hold up as being 'proprietary'. Avoid customer names, company trade secrets or using company reports to prove your claims or show your work product (that one is blatantly theft) and you are safe. Don't offer to take customer lists with you or anything like that either.
CoachRTM
AG
txagman1998 said:

Saying something like "10% increase in sales" is probably ok.
Saying something like "$1.25 million in sales" is probably not ok.
txagman1998
AG
Thanks all for the responses. I made some slight resume tweaks, replacing specific numbers on recent accomplishments with directional language and numerical ranges.

I have video interviews scheduled for late tomorrow afternoon. Since it is Friday I can work from home and log off a little early.

One other thing I forgot to mention, I live and work in California so I mostly don't have to worry about non-compete. I knew one person a couple of years ago that went to a competitor and they simply walked her out the building one random day. I figure it will be the same for me should I be offered and accept the job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.