Job Network
Sponsored by

Do you respond to LinkedIn requests just because people invoke the Aggie Network?

3,244 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoustonAg2014
Pro Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The past year I've had more requests from folks I don't know asking to connect mainly due to the Aggie Network.

I've accepted one who was looking to grow their network while looking for a job. I typically ignore them if it's someone in a sales position. I like the idea of the Aggie Network and helping each other out, I just get the feeling it's just another sales tactic for some folks.

What do you do or what do you think?
one MEEN Ag
AG
Pro Ag said:

The past year I've had more requests from folks I don't know asking to connect mainly due to the Aggie Network.

I've accepted one who was looking to grow their network while looking for a job. I typically ignore them if it's someone in a sales position. I like the idea of the Aggie Network and helping each other out, I just get the feeling it's just another sales tactic for some folks.

I don't see any issue with it. Being my friend on LinkedIn doesn't mean I'll vouch for you for a job, or auto push your resume on through with my name attached to it.

If I get an obvious student who just friends me, cool on them for trying harder than 80% of their peers. If I get a student who wants to go grab coffee, or take a phone call and ask me about my industry, I'm all ears.

Naveronski
AG
For the most part, yes.

If we have mutual connections or they were military, auto accept.
BrazosDog02
AG
The RARE occasion not withstanding, I do not add people to my network unless they are people I have actually talked to and there is a good reason for them to be in my network. LinkedIn for me is a tool. A tool for business, not for chit chats and friend requests. I know that sounds callous but I have Facebook for the other.
Bayside Tiger Ag
one MEEN Ag said:

Pro Ag said:

I don't see any issue with it. Being my friend on LinkedIn doesn't mean I'll vouch for you for a job, or auto push your resume on through with my name attached to it.

If I get an obvious student who just friends me, cool on them for trying harder than 80% of their peers. If I get a student who wants to go grab coffee, or take a phone call and ask me about my industry, I'm all ears.

This^
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I am getting lots lately from 2016 - 2018 grads looking to sell something to me. It's stuff along the lines of "I'm looking to expand my aggie network contacts!! I'll be in your area next week and would love to find a time to stop by to talk with you about <McCompany>"
ATM9000
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

The RARE occasion not withstanding, I do not add people to my network unless they are people I have actually talked to and there is a good reason for them to be in my network. LinkedIn for me is a tool. A tool for business, not for chit chats and friend requests. I know that sounds callous but I have Facebook for the other.

I'd be far more likely to add somebody I've never talked to before to my LinkedIn network thank I would to my Facebook account and I'm sure it's the same for you in reality,
Astroag
AG
Not adding an Aggie to your LinkedIn network is pretty sad and pathetic...especially for a group that proclaims to anyone who will listen that the "Aggie Network" is the greatest thing ever, we take care of our own, as well as something we promote to prospective athletes as a reason to choose us over competitors.

And forwarding a resume is not the same as vouching...but getting it infront of some eyes is pretty simple.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
cjo03
AG
If I know the hiring manager personally or if I know the candidates qualifications personally, I will fwd a resume. Because of the work I do, I rarely agree to a cold on cold resume pass or listen to an unsolicited sales pitch - even for Aggies.

But I (almost) always accept an Aggies LinkedIn request. Link in profile.
LHIOB
AG
Im happy to passa resume on for anyone. We are always hiring. I used accept pretty much any request but recently Ive had a bunch of Financial Planners reach out. One in particular wont leave me alone. Im in sales and I get being aggressive but come man, this isnt how you sell.
John Francis Donaghy
Astroag said:

Not adding an Aggie to your LinkedIn network is pretty sad and pathetic...especially for a group that proclaims to anyone who will listen that the "Aggie Network" is the greatest thing ever, we take care of our own, as well as something we promote to prospective athletes as a reason to choose us over competitors.

And forwarding a resume is not the same as vouching...but getting it infront of some eyes is pretty simple.

The Aggie Network isn't what it was, and never will be again. Sadly, it's not really possible to maintain that kind of tight-knit network when there's 15,000 new grads joining the ranks every year.
2012Ag
AG
If I knew we're hiring then I'll pass resumes along. I preface it to my manager with "can't vouch for these people, but as a student I would have loved for someone to pass my resume along".
Astroag
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Astroag said:

The Aggie Network isn't what it was, and never will be again. Sadly, it's not really possible to maintain that kind of tight-knit network when there's 15,000 new grads joining the ranks every year.

Tight-knit? I thought that ring and that piece of paper and passion for the same school is what made us tight-knit.
frankly unless you graduated 50+ years ago tight-knit doesn't apply if number of graduates is your metric (and as we get more alumni the network is supposed to be stronger!). Moreover, are the rings today not the same as they were 10, 20, 30 years ago? Who cares if it's 15k new grads? Are they aggies or aren't they?

Some of the responses on here are really frustrating...

Astroag
AG
2012Ag said:

If I knew we're hiring then I'll pass resumes along. I preface it to my manager with "can't vouch for these people, but as a student I would have loved for someone to pass my resume along".

This or something like this is the right way...if you can crack the door, they can do the rest.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Astro, it's one thing if the person contacting you has done their homework and has a compelling value proposition. It is an entirely different thing if they are shilling for a company with a dubious value prop and their opener is requesting you to meet with them just because you went to the same school, plus haven't done their homework. I have zero interest in the latter.
John Francis Donaghy
Astroag said:

2012Ag said:

This or something like this is the right way...if you can crack the door, they can do the rest.

I think we've arrived at the heart of our disagreement. If this sort of behavior is the metric then we should be in agreement that there is very little extraordinary about the Aggie Network. This is something graduates of every university do for fellow grads every day. It is not unique to A&M at all. The Aggie Network just has a better marketing team behind it that can create unrealistic expectations for some.
Pro Ag
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Astro, it's one thing if the person contacting you has done their homework and has a compelling value proposition. It is an entirely different thing if they are shilling for a company with a dubious value prop and their opener is requesting you to meet with them just because you went to the same school, plus haven't done their homework. I have zero interest in the latter.

I feel like most of the responses are ignoring the distinction from the first post. Someone looking for contacts to help with job hunting vs someone invoking the Aggie Network to help lead gen numbers. I've connected with folks trying to build their network for job hunting as long as they provide a little info.

I had forgotten about getting one from a financial planner, he wasn't pushy though like the one mentioned above.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I'll accept requests from people and I'm happy to pass along a resume within the industry or do some feeling around. But the only way I'll vouch for someone is if I've worked with them personally. I don't vouch for anyone that I've never seen in action.
10thYrSr
I'll add any Aggie who requests. Reason being is that we have a common work experience....Texas A&M.

I also add clients I have worked for and people from my company or past companies.

There is no reason to NOT add people to your network. The site prioritizes and rewards you for having a large network. Potential clients or employers will not be impressed that you have a small network and they don't request validation of your connections. If you are job seeking, it can only help you to have a ton of connections. Connect connect connect! Nobody is rewarding small circles. LinkedIn is a social site, so get friggin social!
cjo03
AG
10thYrSr said:

There is no reason to NOT add people to your network.

99% of the time I agree. When profiles are riddled with spam, look like a bot, or has shared (what I believe to be) an inappropriate article/video/joke, I consider that valid a reason to decline on LinkedIn - Aggie or not. Not the norm but happens at least every other month or so.
decent looking Ag
I ignore anybody on Linked in who I don't already personally know.
HoustonAg2014
AG
10thYrSr said:

I'll add any Aggie who requests. Reason being is that we have a common work experience....Texas A&M.

I also add clients I have worked for and people from my company or past companies.

There is no reason to NOT add people to your network. The site prioritizes and rewards you for having a large network. Potential clients or employers will not be impressed that you have a small network and they don't request validation of your connections. If you are job seeking, it can only help you to have a ton of connections. Connect connect connect! Nobody is rewarding small circles. LinkedIn is a social site, so get friggin social!
THIS. I add everyone who adds me to linkedin. I also add people who I have interacted with only once. There have been several CEOs, executives, ect that have added me on linkedin and viewed my profile... I don't add people to brag to people about how large my linkedin network is, I add people because those people can open doors to others that I may not know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.