Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking for a new job

3,733 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JP76
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy! I've been looking off and on for a different job for the past few months. I'm currently a vet technician here in BCS but I'm not looking to continue in this field. I've been working there part time for the past 4 years and coaching a local tournament baseball team on weekends while doing private lessons in my spare time in the evenings.

I played college baseball and started coaching for a paycheck since I finished. I've worked maintenance at golf courses, done landscaping and worked a few construction jobs. I've got a bachelor's degree from A&M-Commerce.

I've looked at different help wanted websites and had a few local interviews but most people I've dealt with here in BCS either want to pay a college student minimum wage, want an Aggie degree, or need experience. I received a job offer from a local tech company after interviewing last fall, but it just didn't feel the right fit. Looking back, I probably should have taken it. I'm not necessarily looking for anything in a particular field, I've just hit a road block on where to look.

Any advice?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Any thoughts as to what field(s) you would like to get into?
Willing to relocate? (BCS is a **** market for professionals typically)

With your background in playing and coaching, I would think there might be some opportunity with a company that works with booster clubs on fundraising initiatives.
FC12
I may know you based on your bio you gave. We have similar backgrounds with baseball and coaching in B/CS.
If you are interested in a sales career with Hilti, send me an email to piratebaseball8 @ Hotmail and we can go from there.
Thisguy1
Email sent, FC12.

Irish, I'm not looking to relocate at this time. My wife and I just bought a house in BCS and we'd like to stay here if we can. It can definitely be a tough market here. I've only really had manual labor type jobs over the years because I was usually just here for summers in between semesters. Once I finished playing I kept getting opportunities to coach and give lessons, and that's still there, but I need something more 9-5 type and consistent. My degree is really broad becuse the plan was to go into coaching/teaching after school but I can't mentally get into the teaching part of it. I had a lot of hours from playing at different schools and finished up a bachelor's degree in a certain field becuse that was the one that accepted the most transfer hours. Planned on going to grad school in a more specific field, but life happened.
Max06
AG
Have you tried Burnside Services in Navasota? They've done a ton of sports fields and I've seen many project manager type opportunities with them in the last few years.
chjoak
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I received a job offer from a local tech company after interviewing last fall, but it just didn't feel the right fit. Looking back, I probably should have taken it.
Let me guess... Reynolds & Reynolds?

If so, you likely made the right decision. Only possible positive of taking the position would have been resume filler.
Thisguy1
Not Reynolds and Reynolds.
FC12
Sent you a reply.
Thisguy1
Their website says there aren't any positions currently available.
normaleagle05
AG
That's a lot of work that happens outside. A survey crew position might suit you if you like the outdoors. Jones Carter in CS has an entry level-ish looking role posted. I know the hiring manager for this position but I don't know what he's looking for in this instance. Your degree might give you an advantage, especially if it's a BS (doesn't really matter in what, just a science degree).
Halconblack
AG
Thisguy1, the first thing I would recommend is figuring out what you want to do. Before we had HR at my company I interviewed tons of people. Your lack of knowledge on what you want to do would be a turn off. Second, after you figure out what you want to do find companies in that field. Connect on LinkedIn, say you are interested in X, and chances are someone will give you information on how to get on with that company.
The last thing is not something to do, but informational. You live in a Collge town without any real skill set in the endeavors you have been applying for. The local workforce is college kids or recent grads. If you were a business owner you would be offering wages at their level as well. Be prepared to work at a college level pay scale until you have some experience or be open to relocation. Best of luck.
v/r
bjg08ag
Thisguy1, I've got something you should take a look at. Work from home, set your own hours, $600-2,500/week starting out and potential for growth to significantly more. Looking for someone in your area so could be a great fit. Email me at brandon.geoffrion @ gmail.com if you're interested.
Thisguy1
I'm currently in the interview process for a mid level grounds/landscaping job, but I'm just having a problem getting excited about it. It's better than where I'm at and my experience is getting me in higher than just entry level pay, It's just hard to get too excited about it.

What I'm struggling with is I don't have to have the ability to get to the very top, but I want the opportunity to work my way up experience wise. The place I'm interviewing with is just the same thing every day.

That's one reason I've always loved construction. I'm always looking at barndos and other smaller projects and wondering how they made each part of it and wondering if I thought I could do it. I love the idea of working construction and gaining experience to not only work up in the construction world, but also gaining experience that I can apply in my life away from work. For example, building a shed type building or finishing out a barndo on my own.

I just don't know where to even start as far as getting into that. I don't think I'd enjoy a big company, but a smaller home builder type place where I could really learn the trade.
JP76
https://www.stearnsdesignbuild.com/careers/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.