Job Network
Sponsored by

Any pilots out there!?

3,926 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SpiDer2008
Hopperbw11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Ags!

I am a 2011 Env. Geoscience grad struggling to find the correct path. I have been striking out left and right since graduation and especially moving to Denver a year and half ago. The mind starts to wander what the future holds after working for near minimum wage and trying to network with zero success.
With that being said, I am looking into flight school for commercial or private. Aside from military, can any Ags help out with any information and direction?! I am missing Texas and looking to possibly move back to the Dallas area or possibly Austin (just like everyone else, I know I know). I have done some research with schools in the metroplex but wanted to hear/see the success of my fellow Aggies.

Thank you in advance for any help and information!
B. Hopper
ENGS 2011
HollywoodBQ
AG
There's a cargo pilot who posts infrequently called jetpilot86. I met him when I lived in Denver 15 years ago. It's a long hard road to become a commercial pilot. He's Class of '86 and only scored his "dream job" a decade ago.

Slight digression - don't take this the wrong way but I've argued with many people about Texans moving to Denver - especially about moving there without any job prospects. I refer to the Denver thread on the Across the Nation Board as the Denver sunshine pumping thread because there are a number of sunshine pumpers who assure people that the economy in Denver is great and they'll have no trouble finding a job. Those folks typically don't know enough about Colorado to know that Colorado's economy - especially along the Front Range is historically boom/bust. I moved there during a boom and left after a bust. The good news for Texans is that at least we're willing to "Boogie back to Texas".

How much do you know about commercial aviation? Have you always wanted to be a pilot? Are you in reasonable physical condition and can you pass a flight physical every six months?

My father used his GI Bill to go to flight school and ultimately became multi-engine commercial rated when we lived in Alaska. How are you planning to pay for flight school?

And, are you interested in rotary or fixed wing?

Twelve years ago, I took a vacation to Alaska and spoke with some people about some of the ads I saw there for flight schools to teach people how to fly helicopters. From the people I spoke with, it sounded like an indentured servant type program where you would get a pilots license and learn how to fly helicopters but you would be penniless for two years while the company took full advantage of your indebtedness.

This sounds like more of a Job Network question rather than a travel question so you might try it over on the Job Network board.

There are plenty of Aggies I know who fly commercial aviation. With the exception of the guy who is a US Navy Veteran who flies for Southwest, it's been a tough life to get to where they're doing well. Not that the Navy was a cakewalk either.

I guess that reminds me, consider talking to a military recruiter about what options they might have.

Good Luck!
Oldmanriver
Go up on a "discovery" flight first...if you don't get sick and are still pumped get your private license ($10k ish)..you will need it for military hiring (active, guard, or reserve)...if you want civilian route it will cost you another $80k at a decent program to get to 250hrs and become a certified flight instructor...then fly a 100 hrs a month teaching..pays $35-$45 an hour now...after a year of instructing a regional airline will hire you at 1450 hrs, give you a bonus of $20-$40k, then a starting salary around $50k. That will go up maybe $5k a year until you make Capt in 3-5 yrs, then your payed $100-$120k...you will then fly a few more years until you win the hiring lottery at a major airline...assuming the economy doesn't tank or oil go back to $150 a barrel

OMR
CenterHillAg
AG
There's other ways of making a flying career than going to the airlines, but don't expect any of it to be easy or cheap. I'd stay away from flight schools, find an independent instructor and get your private. By that point hopefully you'll have an idea what kind of aviation you want to get into, and plan accordingly. If you can swing it, buy a cheap time builder and fly it like crazy to build time.

I'm an ag pilot, I took an untraditional route getting into it, but it worked for me. It's the only flying job I've ever wanted, but in a different life I'd be finding a way to get to Alaska and fly up there. That's what I'd be doing if I was you.
montejr
AG
I have multiple pilots that live on my street...Fly for United and Southwest. From the outside it appears to be a great career at that level, but I know the climb is tough.

I looked into it around 2001 by starting to fly with an instructor at Easterwood. Decided to wait until graduation in 2003 to get going again, but the timing was really bad then. I flew out to Orlando for a school I think was called Delta Connection. They had a tons of graduates at the time who were left holding their school debt because the regionals weren't hiring.
MemphisAg1
AG
My youngest son is class of 16 mechanical engineer. Graduated top of class but had heart set on flying. Turned down lucrative engineering jobs to pursue aviation career. Started out as a junior flight instructor, limited hours, and crappy schedule to a senior instructor, better pay, and more hours. Recently hired by regional airline and going through training. Will fly jets next year with passengers.

There is a path to your career goal. Just gotta follow it and stick with it. On the darkest days, grab your bootstraps and saddle up... get through it... there are sunny days ahead if you stay the course.

Good luck.
MemphisAg1
AG
To follow up and be helpful, if you really want to fly and don't want to do military, you need to accumulate 1500 hours flight time if you want to be hired by a regional airline. The toughest part is getting your pilot's license, instrument rating, and certification to be an instructor (maybe 200 to 300 hours... experts can clarify further). You'll need a basic job that pays the bills while you save money and get to that point.

Once you do, you can land a job as a flight instructor. That changes things. You start getting paid -- and accumulating hours at the student's expense -- to teach them to fly. If you're at a decent flight school, it can take a year to two as a flight instructor to accumulate 1500 hours and break into the regional airlines. Took my son about 15 months; it will vary, but it is very doable. Lots of young men and women follow that path.
fire09
AG
CPL holder checking in. Although I fly primarily as a hobby, not a career. Go get your class 1 medical done right after your first discovery flight. Save all your money and be prepared to work multiple jobs during your training and time building. Good luck

ETA. Old man rivers numbers are a little off what I have seen. A couple that I would counter. 250hrs should be nowhere near 80k unless you are time building in a twin (stupid). There are many ways to get to 250hrs for under $25k. Add another $8-10k for IFR and CPL training. Another $10k CFI/I. CFI in Texas are making 25-30/hr at flight schools. Regional FO pay is 35-40k / yr, bump to 55-60k for captain after 2yrs. Bonus varies on when you sign up.
vacating FL410
I've been a pilot for the evil empire now for 32 years and am currently a 777 captain. I came up the civilian route which at the time was unusual but is now the norm. It has been a tough experience but is worth it for the right person. I would be happy to speak to you over the phone or through texts/emails if you would like more information. Best of luck.

user name gmail
Hopperbw11
Thank you all for the information. I have a better understanding of my path. If I do pursue this path, it will be much more difficult than I thought, especially financially. If it's what I have always wanted to get into, then it should be worth it in the end.

Thank you!
B. Hopper
average_joker
AG
I went down this road in 2012, and am thrilled to be flying planes for money.
It helps to have mentorship, and I can personally vouch that aggiesuite is above and beyond top notch.

Line up and wait 18L

SpiDer2008
AG
Just now seeing this thread! If you are looking for a cheaper route but are ok with working your butt off, get your private certificate (I spent around 12k only because I moved a lot with my original career), then get on with American Flyers as an administrative intern. It's what I did. Work for them for a year and a half as an intern all the while getting a good stipend and your instrument rating, commercial cert, and cfi's paid for. It is a longer timed route but saves you 70k in the long run. Let me know if you get serious about it and I'd be glad to put a good word in for you. J.h.barker2008@gmail.com
I'm currently upgrading to captain on the CRJ900 right now and all I have to say is it was all worth it. And the people you meet along the way will help you as much as they can. Gig 'Em!
average_joker
AG
Congrats on the uprgrade, Spider!
GAC06
AG
Hopperbw11 said:

Thank you all for the information. I have a better understanding of my path. If I do pursue this path, it will be much more difficult than I thought, especially financially. If it's what I have always wanted to get into, then it should be worth it in the end.

Thank you!
B. Hopper

It's definitely a tough road, but now is a great time to go for it, minus the 1500 hour rule. At least the regionals are paying decent money now
SpiDer2008
AG
Thanks Joker! Now if I could just remember how to fly on the left side lol!
SpiDer2008
AG
That they are! It's crazy but definitely a pilots market right now. Never thought I'd be fortunate enough to do this well in the regionals.

Endeavor (Delta's wholly owned regional) pays first year FOs $50.66/hr min guarantee of 75hr/mo plus a $10k signing bonus. That's at least $55k without overtime pickups and per diem!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.