Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking for Ag related job near DFW

1,872 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AGGIE WH08P
texAZtea
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a BS in Agronomy from A&M, class of '16 and am currently in the Peace Corps advising small, low tech farmers. I was also in the Corps of Cadets and am an Eagle Scout.

I'm looking for anything in Agriculture from Agronomy to Urban Ag, I could even put the soil science I learned to use in some Environmental Science roles. I don't have much experience operating large equipment but I learn quickly. I learned enough French to work in a francophone country in 3 months, and in about 6 months I can do the same with Spanish.

I would prefer to be within an hour of DFW so I can be close to my family. I would also like to have a position that does not rely on commission.
AgResearch
AG
Quote:

I would prefer to be within an hour of DFW so I can be close to my family.

Ag sector is having a hard time right now due to industry consolidation and low commodity prices.

I'd expand your zone if you really want a job as they are difficult to come by right now. You're a '16...it won't hurt you to get out away from the family for a while. My best experience was moving 1000+ miles away from home for 5 years. You can learn a lot in a new geography and better yourself as a candidate for the "perfect" job back home when the industry settles down.

Agronomist/Weed Scientist, Ph.D.
jtp01
AG
We will likely have some opportunities popping up soon. I'll let you know when we have posted the announcement.
Codes12
AG
Unfortunately I am in the same boat as you and have my own thread somewhere on page two of this form. I am class of 2012 - Agronomy Major and just completed my master's degree. I was laid off a few months ago, filled out quite a few applications and cannot get a call back. As AgResearch already pointed out it is just plain tough in Agriculture right now. A few buddies have told me that more positions with the various companies they work for should be coming open after the first of the year so I got my fingers crossed.

I have found the A&M Soil and Crop Science folks have a pretty updated job board and Agcareers.com is good website as well. Links are below. Good Luck.

https://www.agcareers.com/

http://soilcrop.tamu.edu/?job_category=jobs-available-for-bachelor-students
texAZtea
AG
AgResearch said:

Quote:

I would prefer to be within an hour of DFW so I can be close to my family.

Ag sector is having a hard time right now due to industry consolidation and low commodity prices.

I'd expand your zone if you really want a job as they are difficult to come by right now. You're a '16...it won't hurt you to get out away from the family for a while. My best experience was moving 1000+ miles away from home for 5 years. You can learn a lot in a new geography and better yourself as a candidate for the "perfect" job back home when the industry settles down.
I'm currently in Cameroon, which is on the West Coast of Africa. I've been teaching small farmers how to improve their practices. I've learned about as much as I can from this job and I'm looking to come back.
texAZtea
AG
jtp01 said:

We will likely have some opportunities popping up soon. I'll let you know when we have posted the announcement.
Thank you!

I have one interview coming up but I don't want to count on it. What does your company do?
texAZtea
AG
I saw your post and didn't want to leech off of it. I hope your search goes well! Thank you for the links, I hand't found those yet.
jtp01
AG
We work primarily in Irrigation management. We are expanding our platform world wide and will be looking for folks with agronomic backgrounds to aid with in season support.
mAgnoliAg
AG
jtp01 said:

We work primarily in Irrigation management. We are expanding our platform world wide and will be looking for folks with agronomic backgrounds to aid with in season support.

Woah send me info of your company please. magnoliag6@gmail.com
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I work for one of the main Ag seed and chem companies. I was in your same shoes a few years back

Started out interning with Monsanto. Got hired after graduation and moved to Arkansas then moved with them to Amarillo. I ended up leaving Monsanto and joined a similar company that had an opening in DFW.

Unfortunately, the odds are against you when trying to get a job with a major basic manufacture in a large metropolitan area like DFW. I'd recommend keeping an open mind to positions further then 1 hour from DFW.

For example, the Monsanto sales rep that covers the Hillsboro/Waco area just resigned and went to work for Americot seed. I heard his position was posted, not sure if they are still interviewing for his job. That is about 2 hours south of DFW.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.