Job Network
Sponsored by

Feeling Stuck

4,461 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by exp
careerproblems
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Using a sock here...

I am feeling stuck in salary progression. It seems that all evidence in the marketplace dictates a giant raise and I am being told to [deal with it]

Background
- 15 years experience in project management and true outside sales (in 99% relationship based industry.)
- BBA Finance MBA Finance (A&M for both - two years hazardous project assignment between.)
- Working for a publicly traded company in a holding company with 5 business units. Total revenue around $95mm
- General Manager on single business unit - $10mm revenue ... was $4mm when i took over (assume 15% OM)
- I am fully responsible for sales/bd plan for all 5 business units. I am the ONLY sales person for 3 of them (total of $65mm with these three...$10mm in the other two)
- The majority of my day is spent managing my 8 direct reports and the small majority is calling executives on jobs that they trust me to deliver a solution.

I am sitting here getting paid the same as people with less experience and no education. Recently an MBA was given to us by corporate that makes about 40k more than me (same school as me and less experience.)

I know I am paid plenty to live well, but I was told that my salary of 155k and 50k bonus is what i am worth regardless of details above. I told my boss to lay me off during a recent [trimming] - the trimming was not to do with company performance (it was standard procedure.) He refused to do so stating that i was too important.

Elsewhere in the industry i am being verbally asked to come in for salary levels between 180-240k before bonus. I do not want to leave b/c i like it here, but being happy only goes so far when my business is running as highly as possible and compensation excuses are piling up.

Sorry for the long detail, but what would you do.

1 - Go find another offer and drop it on the desk of the highest man (my direct boss)
2 - Quit and tell them I am not going to be effed with and here is my price to come back.
3 - Lay out what they'd pay to replace my roles in the company by separate people (General Manager role of $150, Manager of Sales - $100, Sales for three companies 3 x $100) = $550,000 without burden and perks. Then try to negotiate.

I have enough to live for a few years without this gig.

Please help with your comments!

coolerguy12
AG
I would line up an offer that you're willing to take. Tell your boss you have an offer on the table for x, y, z but you would prefer to stay with them but you have to do what's best for your family.

If this is a tight knit industry it may backfire if word gets around that you're shopping.

Good luck
TMoney2007
AG
You say "they pay me enough, but not what I deserve" and "I like it here, but I don't like the compensation" and "I have offers, but I don't want to leave."

If they're going to jerk you around on comp and keep piling on responsibilities, I don't know that they're going to bump your base up 2x or 3x to make you happy. Get another offer in hand, look at what you could make and decide if the money is worth taking a chance on a new company.

If it is, move on. I don't see using an outside offer as a negotiation tool working out well if you've already asked for a raise based on industry data and they didn't give it to you.

Assess your options. Decide to take a chance with a new company or decide to be happy where you are.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Take a job that offered you higher comp. If what you say is true and you're too important to be let go, the company you quit from will come crawling back and you'll have the leverage.
ktownag08
AG
Sounds like you're not fully happy there if you're not satisfied with the compensation.

Sounds like you've had the salary discussion so it should come as no surprise when you turn in your two weeks after accepting higher paying gig.

So long as it won't tarnish your reputation or burn some serious bridges, go get what you want elsewhere.
JamesPShelley
IrishTxAggie said:

Take a job that offered you higher comp. If what you say is true and you're too important to be let go, the company you quit from will come crawling back and you'll have the leverage.
^That.
ATM9000
AG
Respectfully, it doesn't matter what the guy who came in is being paid or what you are being told verbally (I don't even want to know what colleagues make because it is such a false flag to market value). Those are indicators, but the only markets that matter are formal offers. Before doing anything, that's really what you need to do to get real evidence of your market value. If you think you are so egregiously underpaid, then go out and prove it... I've been with one company for a decade now and done it a few times... both to keep my skills fresh and to understand my market worth. The offers I got were never so egregiously off base to my comp so I turned them all down.

2 and 3 probably aren't honest negotiating points if we are being real here... maybe you do 1 with an offer... but if you do it... do it with an offer you'd actually take and remember that things like credibility and relationships are worth something before pulling that move.
bthotugigem05
AG
Ah the ole "we don't pay more for internal knowledge" nonsense.
careerproblems
Thanks guys. I love the feedback.

And the reason I know pay rates of others is because I am P&L responsible. Outside of CEO/CFO and a President, I am on top of the food chain.
strohag
AG
Was recently in your shoes. High performer, underpaid, loved the company. Talked comp early in the year and Boss said he would look into it. 6 months go by and nothing changed. Competition came calling, gave me what I wanted and I turned my notice in. Funny how my boss immediately said he can match. After hearing that I was done. You shouldn't have to have an offer in hand to get a raise but most times corporate guys are too blinded by incompetence to realize they are going to lose you. I'm happier, less stressed, and making more money.
Quinn
AG
It's hard to leave a place you like and is comfortable, but it would be hard to not pursue a new opportunity if the increase in pay would be what you say. You should go for it, at least to see if you really would be okay leaving.
Petrino1
You have to decide whats more important, more money or being happy with your job. Sure you could make more money elsewhere, but there is a 50/50 chance you will hate the new job/boss/commute/coworkers/company etc. Every time I have switched jobs to chase more money, it never worked out the way I wanted.

It sounds like you are happy where you're at, and you're making relatively good money. I would stay put unless you are able to get a HUGE bump elsewhere.
IrishTxAggie
AG
ea1060 said:

You have to decide whats more important, more money or being happy with your job. Sure you could make more money elsewhere, but there is a 50/50 chance you will hate the new job/boss/commute/coworkers/company etc. Every time I have switched jobs to chase more money, it never worked out the way I wanted.

It sounds like you are happy where you're at, and you're making relatively good money. I would stay put unless you are able to get a HUGE bump elsewhere.
I disagree that he sounds like he is happy. He sounds like he is ready to go. He even told them to lay him off in the last layoff cycle.

The numbers he is describing is a huge bump. ~50% is pretty big.

Astroag
AG
why didn't you take the offer that was almost 100k over your current salary?

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
TMoney2007
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

ea1060 said:

I disagree that he sounds like he is happy. He sounds like he is ready to go. He even told them to lay him off in the last layoff cycle.

I wouldn't say "happy" either... They're comfortable. Everything there is a known quantity and the comp is sufficient for their current lifestyle.

Different can be good or bad, but the OP doesn't sound happy to me either. Happy people don't look around or ask to be laid off.
Astroag
AG
TMoney2007 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

ea1060 said:

I wouldn't say "happy" either... They're comfortable. Everything there is a known quantity and the comp is sufficient for their current lifestyle.

Different can be good or bad, but the OP doesn't sound happy to me either. Happy people don't look around or ask to be laid off.

Truly unhappy people don't pass on almost 100k raise either...

ATM9000
AG
Astroag said:

Verbally being told isn't an offer. That's why.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
OP, it never hurts to test the market officially. Publicly traded companies rarely offer material comp uplift to their employees without an outside offer in hand. The best case you're likely to get out of them is an extra $10K or if the situation is really egregious, $20K. It sounds like what you want is a $50K uplift. In-house uplift on that scale is normally aligned to a major promotion like to director or VP.

It sounds like the discussion you should be having is that. I hate to break it to you, but they are paying you what they think you're worth. They're daring you to quit and calling your bluff - they don't think you'll do it, so show them who's in control. If someone approached me with a potential 50% increase I'd be paying a whole lot of attention to their offer.
Astroag
AG
ATM9000 said:

Astroag said:

if it isn't a real offer then is it really worth putting in the facts to consider if one wants/should leave or relevant to happiness?

ATM9000
AG
Astroag said:

ATM9000 said:

Astroag said:

if it isn't a real offer then is it really worth putting in the facts to consider if one wants/should leave or relevant to happiness?

Because everything from how he or she wrote option 1 to saying 'verbally being told' implies he or she hasnt gone to get an actual offer.

Regardless, when it comes to salary it's important that you are both fact based and forthright. Options 2 and 3 are neither and I'm saying if you really think you are vastly overpaid, go get an offer because that's actionable and that's a real market.

Sometimes bosses can't say it but their best friend is an actual live offer to advocate for you. Case in point, if one of my people comes to me and says 'people are telling me I can make this' and I tell HR that they'll say cool and nothing happens. If I tell HR 'look this guy has an offer' then I've got something actionable.

My advice is if it is that important to you and bugs you... cool but your first action isn't to dump all over the boss... it's to actually find and test your own market value by finding a real market.... both nodes of data provided are evidence of a higher market but neither is a marketable offer.
Petrino1
He says it in his post that he doesn't want to leave because he likes it There. I'm just going by his words.
permabull
AG
careerproblems
Thanks everyone - I am very happy and love what I do...which is why I feel stuck.

And all verbals carry weight. I work for the only public company in my industry so my 'offers' are directly from owners willing to pay my cost.

Great advice guys. I feel like I'm in a marriage that is 99% perfect, but has me wishing I had the nerve to say "but can we have sex 7 nights per week instead of 5 bc someone else is willing to do it 7 you know"

I'm going to collect bonus in two months and then take a serious look at saying "yes" to some of the offers. Thanks!

AggiEE
If you're very happy then why did you ask to be let go only to be unemployed and have less leverage for offers elsewhere?

Sounds like you're well compensated and enjoy your job. You're only upset because your coworkers are paid similarly? Comparison is the thief of joy.
exp
AG
Never accept the counter offer. If you're unhappy enough to look, then just go.

And be sure this is not just your ego swelling up. Find some gratitude for the elevated position you've achieved in life and focus on what you have, not the things you don't.

Good luck
careerproblems
I volunteered to be laid if bc it tells me if I'm as important as a I feel ... and it would come with a lump sum check for ~ 100k

AggiEE
That's a pretty awful way to manage your career and could have had terrible consequences. The kind of comp you're looking for doesn't necessarily come easy, and if you're out of a job it could have set you back pretty significantly.

Be thankful for what you have, the grass isn't always greener even if the compensation is. The unemotional and rational thing to do would be to just get a higher offer elsewhere if the dick measuring contest means that much to you.
careerproblems
That's why I am here asking for opinions. I want more money but need a reality check.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Dude, if you volunteered to be laid off they already think that you're on your way out - and they're right. Reverse psychology never works with jobs. Go find another job and move on.
one MEEN Ag
AG
careerproblems said:

I volunteered to be laid if bc it tells me if I'm as important as a I feel ... and it would come with a lump sum check for ~ 100k

So your forced exit would cost the company 100k, both you and the company (secretly) agree that you're underpaid, and you're waiting on your company to make the first move.

I don't think your current company is going to be firing you anytime soon.
Win At Life
AG
So, in your industry, guys with only a high school diploma and 15 years experience (33 years old) make more than $200,000/year?

And MBA's with less than 15 years experience make $240,000?

I've made some horrible life choices.

Seriously, can you be more specific about the industry you're in?
Astroag
AG
Win At Life said:

So, in your industry, guys with only a high school diploma and 15 years experience (33 years old) make more than $200,000/year?

And MBA's with less than 15 years experience make $240,000?

I've made some horrible life choices.

Seriously, can you be more specific about the industry you're in?
username checks out...

careerproblems
Supply and demand of experience! Obvious the supply is low so...I'm not disclosing the industry
Win At Life
AG
careerproblems said:

Supply and demand of experience! Obvious the supply is low so...I'm not disclosing the industry
Okay, let's try another way. Please email it to me at keithm66 at Yahoo. Certainly one guy knowing isn't going to wreck you're whole industry. Thanks for helping out another Ag.
exp
AG
Dude YOUR handle is Win at Life and his is careeproblems and you're asking HIM for advice???

Check the irony there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.