Job Network
Sponsored by

Advice on quitting?

5,742 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JosephMarcus
resmith09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've hit a snag with my current job with my boss, and need some advice. The next 5-6 months are extremely busy in my career, and I'm starting to seriously question whether or not I can make it through at my current job given the stresses that are to follow and the issues I'm having. I've been looking for something else for several months now to no avail. As much as I never thought I would ever consider quitting a job without having a plan or another job, I'm starting to get to that point.

So here's the advice I need: how harmful is it actually in trying to find another job if you quit a job with nothing to go to? Are the people in charge of hiring just going to immediately write me off, or is it still possible to navigate that issue in an interview? Any other advice from anyone?
aggievic14
AG
Not sure if I'm qualified to give advice, but I'll give you my experience as I recently went through the same. Note: I was in Dallas and wanted to move back to Houston.

I had been casually looking for new jobs since last fall. Throughout Q1 I upped my game. I was incredibly stressed and having some cognitive dissonance working at my old company. And Q2 I had lost several opportunities because they wanted me to interview in person (in Houston) but I couldn't take off that late of notice at my job (in Dallas). I prayed...A LOT. And by the end of May, I made the executive decision to quit. (I had a part-time job on the weekends throughout this whole time)

A week later I left for a trip to Europe I had planned for, and two weeks in I had to cut it short (I had no real end date. One-way flight. I was secretly hoping I would fall in love and get married...I know, wishful thinking) because I had been emailing with several places in Houston and they wanted to set up in-person interviews.

Neither of the interviews panned out, so I continued to work at my part-time job, but upped my hours to full-time. Two months later I was offered a position in Houston. I'm sure it was an anomaly. Actually, positive, because the CEO had decided not to give me an offer, and several weeks later changed her mind.

It was SO stressful trying to pay bills on a retail salary. But I will say, quitting was beyond freeing. I enjoyed actually having a summer. And that trip was amazing. Now I'm in a position that I love, with an amazing team, and work in an industry that coincides with a passion of mine.

TL;DR - I was able to find a job with a gap in employment.
OlArmy12
AG
Woods Ag
AG
I did it.

Quit job, moved across country... took me about 2 months of job hunting everyday.

DO NOT be the person that turns in a resume and hopes for the best. When you find the job that you want, go and get it.. track down the hiring manager (not the HR manager that's posting the job), send him an email with your resume expressing your interest (it's easy enough to figure out company email addresses) and follow up. Be professional, but don't be scared to state what you want.
resmith09
AG
Interesting- so for those of you who quit, did it come up in your interviews? How did you explain it?
Woods Ag
AG
Practice your answers out loud to the questions you know are going to come until you are happy with the delivery and message you are portraying and then go execute.

I'm not telling you to quit your job. That's a tough decision that only you and your wife (if you have one) can make. It could be the dumbest decision you ever made.. idk, I'm just saying I did it and swore to my wife that when we got to Houston id find a job and we'd be ok and then I made damn sure I kept that promise.

agz win
AG
I've always heard that it's easier to get a new job while one has a job.

Lack of a severance and status of health insurance should be considered. If you're so unhappy, though, that could be the difference. Life is too short to be unhappy.

Good luck. In whatever you decide.
500,000ags
AG
agz win said:

I've always heard the same. Can any posters with hiring responsibilities speak to its validity?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I hire lots of people and have hired lots of people. At the executive level, someone who isn't currently employed is really not that big of a deal provided the story makes sense and the gap isn't too long. In fact, I think it's even somewhat helpful for these people because they can really prepare for the interview. Employment gaps simply happen at this level.

For professionals / managers, I have also asked questions to try to better understand why someone doesn't have a position currently. It doesn't mean that you can't or won't get hired, just be mindful that the clock is ticking. There are exceptions to this, such as recent B school graduate.

My advice is to duke it out until you find something if you can. Don't assume the job market will be great.
500,000ags
AG
Just to be clear, you're saying that not having a current position leads to a question about it and a needed explanation for it, not that it's a deal breaker?

Edit: regarding the professional / manager level.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
It's not a deal breaker, but consider these thoughts someone might have: why would this person leave? Are they difficult to work with? Do they have unreasonable expectations? Are they rash because they quit in a huff?

The biggest thing from the perspective of the prospect is that they have less leverage. If you're applying off the street, I know you need the job. Why would I give a great offer? (This is stupid though, because if I took advantage of you, why would you stay?)
500,000ags
AG
I am coming back from a gap year in the next few months, and those comments are helpful. I will attempt to mitigate those concerns during the interview process.
evestor1
Always easier to find a job while currently employed.

Be prepared to take anything you can get ...knowing you may need to quit again to find a good offer

This is currently happening to me. I was laid off. Found a good job right away so I was content to accept. Even though I love the job, three years later my pay is lagging and I'm being forced to search.
Vernada
AG
OP - keep in mind the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

How long have you been at this job and how long have these issues been present?

Sometimes work just sucks for a bit - but things always change.

Now, if you hate the company and don't see yourself staying there, then look at moving on.

However, if you like the company, but are in a tough spot now, there might be some value in sticking it out. Early in my career I went through some tough times, persisted, and was better for it in the long run.

As for quitting before you have a job:

How are you financially? How long can you go without a job?
As others have said, you need a good story to explain why you quit - I don't think 'didn't like my boss' is a very good explanation.
20ag07
I'm even more skeptical of hiring people with less than a year at their current company, so I'd be very careful and think long and hard about the optics of quitting, just to take whatever you can find, to then spend time looking for the job you really want.
JoeOlson
AG
I strongly feel that you should NOT quit your job unless you have tremendous financial flexibility or you're running into ethical/legal concerns with your current employer.

If I am hiring someone who says that they quit their job because the work was getting too hard/demanding, I would be immediately concerned. We may even be able to get through the story; but, my guard is going to be up and I am going to be very focused on finding out "what really happened?"

In general, people understand why you would look outside; but, it's a lot harder to find a job when you have to defend your situation vs. sell why you would be a great fit.

EDIT: Why do you feel you are struggling to find a new job? Industry challenges? location? Is there anything we can do to help?
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I hire a lot of people. When I see gaps in employment, I simply want to know why. As long as the explanation adds up, I don't worry about it. It can also be a sign of someone who is willing to take risks, and that's one of the most sought after characteristics I look for.

And I can tell you from experience, almost everyone who has been fired and tries to hide it says they had to take care of an ailing parent. Even if that happens to be your reason, don't say it, because experienced hiring managers will think you were fired.

JBLHAG03
AG
Most jobs suck...find hobbies outside of work for happiness.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
What if you work too much to have an outside hobby?
Synopsis
500,000ags said:

agz win said:

I've always heard the same. Can any posters with hiring responsibilities speak to its validity?

It's true that it is easier to get a job when you have one. However, if you're getting beaten down in your current position that can take a toll on you emotionally, mentally, and physically. There are options for explaining the gap in employment and turning it into a positive. can tell you how when I have a little more time.

But ALWAYS, ALWAYS, leave on the best of terms if at all possible. That's the key.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Then you need a new job. The objective of life isn't to live to work, you work to live.
Synopsis
FancyKetchup14 said:

Then you need a new job. The objective of life isn't to live to work, you work to live.

Amen to that.
Gig_Em_Jimbo
Man up , Chief work sucks!
Hopperbw11
Being someone who quit their job, moved to a tough market 1,000 miles away with no success... keep your job until you find another one. Life is all about luck and yes... working hard. I am very unlucky even though I work hard at what I do and what I want. I had a job back in Dallas doing work I hated right after college. I worked outside for 14 hour days on a 350ft. platform 5 days a week. Eventually I got used to the work and stress and it kind of all went away. I told myself that this is only temporary and to just stick with it to gain experience and to build my resume. I still wanted another job of course, but I figured out that the stress was not worth it and just dealt with it for a few years. Fast forward. I wanted to move out of state and I had a few bucks in my pocket. I have been struggling ever since with no luck. I have had a few interviews and did all the, what I thought were the right things to gain trust and be employed by these companies. It has pulled me down and I am not able to get out of my situation.
I say stick with the company until you find something. It is very difficult to rely on luck. You may have excellent luck straight off the bat, but it is difficult to predict that.
redass89
Astroag
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

That's your objective...different strokes for different folks brotha.
AggieOO
Living to work sounds like a nightmare.
78bc3
AG
Never go away from a job. Go to the job you want. Check with me at formerstudent career services fscshelp@tamu.edu
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
AgsnFly
AG
Unless your skill-set is highly in demand- keep your job.
JosephMarcus
resmith09 said:

I've hit a snag with my current job with my boss, and need some advice. The next 5-6 months are extremely busy in my career, and I'm starting to seriously question whether or not I can make it through at my current job given the stresses that are to follow and the issues I'm having. I've been looking for something else for several months now to no avail. As much as I never thought I would ever consider quitting a job without having a plan or another job, I'm starting to get to that point.

So here's the advice I need: how harmful is it actually in trying to find another job if you quit a job with nothing to go to? Are the people in charge of hiring just going to immediately write me off, or is it still possible to navigate that issue in an interview? Any other advice from anyone?
just quit your current job and look full-time. I'm 100% sure your current employer would be happier not paying you to search for a new job. If you don't like your current job, just quit. that will allow them to hire someone that wants to be there. win / win for everyone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.