Job Network
Sponsored by

Jackson, MS

2,155 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Kd2012
Synopsis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone on this forum familiar with the area? I may be working on a lengthy project there (6 months). Of course I know of the city by what is on the Internet but wondered if there are any first hand accounts on places to live, to avoid, eating out, etc. I'm sure there is good and bad as with any place, and I am a glass half full type in that I know that I can be happy anywhere. I've been through there but it was many years ago and I don't remember much about the trip. One thing I am intrigued with is the history.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I don't know if this post is better suited for another forum on this site.

TIA!
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Live in Madison. That is about all I know.

The towns around Jackson are all pretty nice and have a small town, east Texas feel. The people were nice as well just not much going on for that state.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Had a budy that moved there for work and he lived downtown by the train station. He would rent a room in the train and go to new Orleans each weekend

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Supposed to be a great spot downtown for fried pig's ear sandwiches. Enjoy.
Oldmanriver
What a depressing city...been a while but a lot of businesses downtown were shuttered....but at least there were law offices on every corner....the state dept of education building was surrounded by fence and barb wire on top....glad not to have to travel there anymore..

The best part of the day was lunch at the Mayflower Cafe...good home cooking

OMR
aggie4231
AG
They do have a Whataburger in Jackson?
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Synopsis
Thanks everyone. I'm going there for a few days, leaving later today. I'll drive the area while I'm there to take in the sights and sounds. I'll actually be living and working in Madison.
Synopsis
Oldmanriver said:

What a depressing city...been a while but a lot of businesses downtown were shuttered....but at least there were law offices on every corner....the state dept of education building was surrounded by fence and barb wire on top....glad not to have to travel there anymore..

The best part of the day was lunch at the Mayflower Cafe...good home cooking

OMR

I must be in a nice party of the city, about 15 miles north of downtown Jackson. It's very nice here, but crap it's colder here than it was in Oklahoma. I will have to check out the Mayflower Cafe. Thanks for the tip.
Synopsis
I just returned from the Jackson area.

I kind of liked it there, actually quite a bit. There is something about the deep South charm. And man, the people in Mississippi know how to cook!

Beautiful scenery and the smell of pine trees is great as well. Sure, Jackson has some bad areas and its problems.

But if you pick the right location to plant yourself, a person could really get accustomed to that place.
water turkey
My brother lived there 10 years ago. I saw some of the poorest people I have ever seen there. It was pretty depressing.
bmorton
AG
Second Madison.
Gotta really be careful about some parts of Jackson due to crime, drugs, gangs, etc.
Synopsis
bmorton said:

Second Madison.
Gotta really be careful about some parts of Jackson due to crime, drugs, gangs, etc.

Madison is where I'll be working starting early next year.
Kd2012
AG
I lived there for four years just recently moved away in August. Madison is a nice area with plenty to do. If you are looking for shopping that would be the flowood/dogwood area. There are a bunch of good restaurants around. If you like fried catfish try a place called cock of the walk. For just good Deep South cooking go to mama Hamils. If you are needing a haircut. Best place around is called noble barber. Which is in Madison! Ask for Shelby she will hook you up! Hope this is helpful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.