Job Network
Sponsored by

Anyone heard of company called ExchangeHub?

3,682 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boboguitar
nukeaggie2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exchangehub.com
My brother in law has a job offer from them, but I don't think it's legit. They lock you in with a 2 year contract that you must pay a large sum to break early.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Huh? Did he get a random call from India from a guy named "James" offering him a job? Did he get an email from a prince in Nigeria with a job offer?

Explain more please.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Looks like a tiny bldg in Atlanta

Looks shady based on the website
nukeaggie2000
AG
He has a masters degree in Computer and Electrical Engineering but can't find a local job in Houston. A recruiter contacted him about this company. He has had a couple phone interviews and now they offered a two year contract. If he breaks the contract before 2 years he owes them money (+$10k) but the contract doesn't provide the salary amount, benefits, or expenses. The work is IT contact work and it can be anywhere in the US. He has been told verbally an hourly rate but nothing is in the contract.

I assume he will have to pay all his own expenses, travel, and insurance and they will change his salary to about $10/hour.

I have tried to talk him out of it but he thinks it's his last resort. I'm trying to find more info about this company to prove to him that's its not legit.
theeyetest
I'd turn and run far far away from that as I could. I wouldn't do ANYTHING unless it was in writing.
Vernada
AG
from the little I could find on the company there is NO way I'd consider a 'deal' like this.

Company reviews from employees include words like 'illegal' and 'lies',

How can you even consider a contract that puts all penalties writing but none of the benefits? You have a known downside in writing. You have nothing else.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
nukeaggie2000 said:

He has a masters degree in Computer and Electrical Engineering but can't find a local job in Houston. A recruiter contacted him about this company. He has had a couple phone interviews and now they offered a two year contract. If he breaks the contract before 2 years he owes them money (+$10k) but the contract doesn't provide the salary amount, benefits, or expenses. The work is IT contact work and it can be anywhere in the US. He has been told verbally an hourly rate but nothing is in the contract.

I assume he will have to pay all his own expenses, travel, and insurance and they will change his salary to about $10/hour.

I have tried to talk him out of it but he thinks it's his last resort. I'm trying to find more info about this company to prove to him that's its not legit.

LOL. Why is this even a question? If you can't talk him out of this, he deserves whatever he gets. This is radioactive.
Petrino1
Did they say why he would end up paying back $10k if he quits before two years? Are they offering him a sign-on bonus, relocation package, miscellaneous bonus etc? If so, that's common for companies to have a stipulation about paying back the money if you leave within a certain time frame. If not, then that is a huge red flag.
AggieOO
Last resort? Bucees pays like 16/hr and has benefits.
Vernada
AG
update?
nukeaggie2000
AG
update: he's in the process of being trained and making $8-10/hr while in training. He should be done training in the middle of January and then have his first assignment shortly after that.
tamc91
AG
Wow. I hope it works out, but this sounds like a horrible deal.

If he is willing to relocate to Central Texas it seems like somebody with his qualifications could get on with a company in the Austin area easily. I know we have to pay our IT staff fairly well, because they can easily go to work for one of the numerous Tech companies in the area. If he has a decent client service attitude and is willing to help non-IT types fix their basic computer problems he could probably carve out a decent niche.

I think the engineering / consulting field isn't where a lot of computer types look, but it is a computer and software technology heavy field and each office of 50 engineers / architects / accountants / scientists seems to need 2-3 full time IT people just to keep things working. There are a lot of those firms in the Houston area too.
boboguitar
AG
nukeaggie2000 said:

If he wants to move to Dallas, my company(a software shop) is hiring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.