Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking for a mentor in financial advising...

1,453 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bobcat-Ag
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Soon to be graduate in May 2019. Looking for somebody to help give me some guidance on the career path to becoming a financial advisor. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
some men you just cant reach ...
neutics
AG
Assume you are in the program at A&M led by Dr. Harness? He should be able to set you up with someone locally. Otherwise I'm a CFP in the Austin area if you are ever this way and wanted to meet up
mazag08
AG
Don't most of the big companies practically set you up with everything you need and all you have to do is cold call and visit businesses?
aggie_fan13
AG
I don't know
some men you just cant reach ...
SwissAgg
AG
neutics said:

Assume you are in the program at A&M led by Dr. Harness? He should be able to set you up with someone locally. Otherwise I'm a CFP in the Austin area if you are ever this way and wanted to meet up
Are you self-employed or work for a company?
neutics
AG
SwissAgg said:

neutics said:

SEC registered RIA
dtxaggie12
AG
Start studying for the Series 7 now. If you get that license you will have some leverage to get multiple opportunities.
neutics
AG
dtxaggie12 said:

Start studying for the Series 7 now. If you get that license you will have some leverage to get multiple opportunities.
I respectfully disagree with this advice. The type of firm you work for will dictate (and sponsor) any necessary licenses and the OP may not know which direction they want to go at this time (broker-dealer, RIA etc.) You will have at least 90 days to prepare for any exams once hired.

More importantly, I recommend someone like AzulAg should try to understand the many different types of firms and ways we serve clients. Ask to shadow an advisor in an actual client meeting. What we do is as much behavioral counseling as financial planning, and if you don't enjoy client relationships that's a problem.

Also the first class in the CFP curriculum is an excellent overview and introduction to financial planning and can help determine whether this is a hobby or potentially a career (as it did for me).

SwissAgg
AG
neutics said:

SwissAgg said:

neutics said:

SEC registered RIA
Thanks for the info.
Bobcat-Ag
neutics said:

I have my CFP as well, although I'm in compliance now. Also in the Austin area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.