Job Network
Sponsored by

Applying internally

1,563 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cjo03
johnrth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I applied for a field rep position with my current employer through my companys intranet. Does anyone know if those resumes still get filtered through those programs that weed out resumes because of "key words" before a person sees it or does it skip it because it's internal and go straight to the hiring manager?
Petrino1
No it does not go through a filter with buzzwords. However, be sure to contact the recruiter or HR person handling the position and let them know you applied. Also, reach out to the hiring manager for the role and let him know you applied and express interest in his position. Lastly, notify your current supervisor that you applied for the role.

With so many people applying to jobs your resume can sometimes get lost in the mix. But if you reach out to everyone directly then you can be sure that the right person is viewing your resume.
AggieOO
Talking to the hiring manager is the most important part. Highly likely that person already has his/her list of people they are considering. Many times, the job is only posted for legal reasons.
AgLA06
AG
AggieOO said:

Talking to the hiring manager is the most important part. Highly likely that person already has his/her list of people they are considering. Many times, the job is only posted for legal reasons.

This.

I got jobs by simply sitting down with them outside of the interview process to ensure I understood the job and got the opportunity to explain why I wanted it. I've also been told to not waste my time applying for my dream job because they were going to bring in "their guy" during a merger.

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it sucks, but it's nice knowing if you have a chance before risking pissing off your current management chain by officially applying.

Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching that potential boss and "their guy" go down in flames when they F'ed it up.
HollywoodBQ
AG
100% agree that you need to speak with the HR Recruiter & the Hiring Manager.

I applied for an internal job last year and had discussed it with the Hiring Manager. Luckily he called me up and asked me how come I didn't submit a resume because he was about to start interviews. Turns out, the Internal HR Recruiter had filtered out my resume (based on my current work location, the position would have required relocation). Ultimately I didn't get the job but, I was a finalist. If I hadn't spoken with the Hiring Manager, I never would have even made it to the first interview.
cjo03
AG
ideal state, your current manager knows your career goals and understands your interest in the new position.. keep them in the loop during the process. Best case they can advocate for you and you can avoid a scenario where you surprise them or leave them in a bind.
johnrth
I did talk to my current boss about my interest and he seemed very supportive of it. I will email the manager who the position falls under on Monday. Luckily I know the guy from when he did a commercial leadership program a few years ago and I spent a couple weeks showing him how my current position supports the field guys.
Cromagnum
AG
cjo03 said:

ideal state, your current manager knows your career goals and understands your interest in the new position.. keep them in the loop during the process. Best case they can advocate for you and you can avoid a scenario where you surprise them or leave them in a bind.

That's ideal alright, but occasionally you work for folks that are unsure of how to help you with your development or expect you to wait forever on a backfill.
cjo03
AG
Cromagnum said:

cjo03 said:

That's ideal alright, but occasionally you work for folks that are unsure of how to help you with your development or expect you to wait forever on a backfill.

Your example is certainly more common than the ideal state. I could have probably summarized my post by saying "surprising your current manager could be risky".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.