Job Network
Sponsored by

HR People....advise please

3,502 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cypress-ag
cypress-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seeking HR input as I've been looking for work for the last 14 months. Last 10 years I worked in Sales calling on C level executives of companies from 20M to 500M and then up to 3B. Made the mistake jumping into a BDO role with a bank that offered me filth upfront money, strong base, stock and back end bonus for year one. They verbally committed to me a 5 year deal to get situated in the banking world, then cut the role after 18 months.

My prior sales area is very selected with few opportunities and when I've had the chance to interview they've gone with people with less experience and very little local knowledge. Starting to feel age coming into play but no one will every admit that. I can cold call and set meetings just need a chance to get back into that game. My resumes seem to go into a black hole on the LinkedIn platform. I continue to work the associates and friends for referrals but only seems to go so far. Did the Between Jobs Ministry in North West Houston as well but have not had much luck with it. Background for those jobs have been heavy IT and software sales.

So my question is, should I strip down my resume and remove the VP titles that I have carried as it seems like most have told me I'm over qualified when I do get a reply back on applications. I'm willing to step back for a few years if it's a quality company that will give me a chance to earn.

I also had a 16 year run prior to sales heading up a purchasing and construction services group with a restaurant group so I'd be will to utilize those skills as well. I'm up to relocation but would like to stay in Texas as my daughter is a Junior at ATM and won't to be close while she's in school. I just want to work again.
cypress-ag
AG
Anyone?
FC12
Look at Hilti if you have any interest in construction tools. Let me know if something interests you.
cjo03
AG
I personally wouldn't dilute the resume by removing a VP title - assuming from what you shared that it was a role legitimately deserving a VP title. I am convinced some software sales companies have salespeople go from intern to a VP of xyz role in 3 months - make sure your resume succinctly (2 pages max IMO) distinguishes you from those folks.

I'll ping ORAggieFan to chime in. He may have some non-HR sales advice.
cypress-ag
AG
Guys thanks for the reply's. Have a friend that's HR at a major company and she's reviewed and critiqued my resume and I feel good about it but it seems like it goes into a black hole at places I don't have connections. Doubling down on networking with friends and past co workers to get warm leads. I've done Reveille Club stuff in Houston in the past but never had any luck there. Going to try again for the next few months as well as the Between Job Ministry. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Gig Em
Petrino1
Chances are your age and years of experience are becoming a factor in not getting a job, especially if you keep getting the "you're overqualified" line. If I were you, I'd take out the first the first 10 Years of experience on your resume and only leave the past 15-20 years or so. Also, take out any kind of dates that might show your age ( college graduation date, HS graduation date). I can't tell you how many times I've reviewed resumes with managers and they disqualify a candidate who appears older from their resume and is too Experienced.

Now if you're applying for VP or director level jobs where your years of experience and age might be a plus, then leave your resume as is. But from the sounds of it you're applying for more junior level roles (mid career, non supervisory etc). Also, your 16 years experience prior to getting into sales isn't relevant to the jobs you're applying for now, and ages you on your resume.

This is my two cents, others may disagree with me but this is what I would do if I were in your situation.
JamesPShelley
ea1060 said:

Chances are your age and years of experience are becoming a factor in not getting a job, especially if you keep getting the "you're overqualified" line. If I were you, I'd take out the first the first 10 Years of experience on your resume and only leave the past 15-20 years or so. Also, take out any kind of dates that might show your age ( college graduation date, HS graduation date). I can't tell you how many times I've reviewed resumes with managers and they disqualify a candidate who appears older from their resume and is too Experienced.

Now if you're applying for VP or director level jobs where your years of experience and age might be a plus, then leave your resume as is. But from the sounds of it you're applying for more junior level roles (mid career, non supervisory etc). Also, your 16 years experience prior to getting into sales isn't relevant to the jobs you're applying for now, and ages you on your resume.

This is my two cents, others may disagree with me but this is what I would do if I were in your situation.
+1
cypress-ag
AG
ea1060 said:

GChances are your age and years of experience are becoming a factor in not getting a job, especially if you keep getting the "you're overqualified" line. If I were you, I'd take out the first the first 10 Years of experience on your resume and only leave the past 15-20 years or so. Also, take out any kind of dates that might show your age ( college graduation date, HS graduation date). I can't tell you how many times I've reviewed resumes with managers and they disqualify a candidate who appears older from their resume and is too Experienced.

That's a great suggestion because what I did 16 years ago really isn't necessary at this point or could be brought up if relevant. A lot of places are asking for and online application so do you suggest eliminating those years as well?
Petrino1
Yes eliminate from the application as well. You're not required to list every single job you've ever had on an application, especially if it was 20-30 years ago!
CapeAggie89
AG
After being out of work for 14 months, I know what you are going through. Keep up with your contacts as you never know where that job is going to come from. That is how I got my current position. I took a 20% pay cut but in less than a year, I am only at a 10% paycut.

One trick that I heard about, but never tried is for resumes that you submit online, type all the buzzwords of your industry in small font and have the color be white. Anyone that prints your resume will never see them but it is a possible way to get past the Candidate software. Hate that software. Companies don't realize how many good candidates are slipping through their fingers because of that software.

Also agree with removing graduation dates, etc. I also did Aggie networking and BJM. They were not helpful in landing a job, but helped keepi my spirits up and getting me out of the house.
cypress-ag
AG
CapeAggie89 said:

After being out of work for 14 months, I know what you are going through. Keep up with your contacts as you never know where that job is going to come from. That is how I got my current position. I took a 20% pay cut but in less than a year, I am only at a 10% paycut.

One trick that I heard about, but never tried is for resumes that you submit online, type all the buzzwords of your industry in small font and have the color be white. Anyone that prints your resume will never see them but it is a possible way to get past the Candidate software. Hate that software. Companies don't realize how many good candidates are slipping through their fingers because of that software.

Also agree with removing graduation dates, etc. I also did Aggie networking and BJM. They were not helpful in landing a job, but helped keepi my spirits up and getting me out of the house.
CapeAggie89,

Thanks for the response and I'm willing to take the cut to get going again and feeling useful. Like the suggestion on the Candidate Software and I'm going to give that a try.

Gig Em.
cjo03
AG
CapeAggie89 said:

i'd recommend using relevant words effectively in a sentence... versus any arbitrary effort to pad experience or trick a system. resume parsing software usually removes color formatting anyways so a good chance that chunk of random words would show up awkwardly somewhere.

JoeOlson
AG
Did you have a specific sector you covered? Many sales organizations (esp technology firms) are more vertically focused so it may make sense to focus a bit more on that messaging.
Petrino1
I've worked in HR a few fortune 100 companies and a few smaller companies as well. Ive used all of the popular applicant tracking systems out there and I've never seen a recruiting software that did resume parsing or rejected a resume if they didn't have certain buzzwords. Most of the time if someone applies, even if they have zero experience relevant to the position, their resume will get viewed by the recruiter in the system.

Your application might get ranked based on your past experience or how you answer certain questions. Also, some companies use disqualifying preliminary questions that could reject you automatically if you answer no. For example, a mechanical engineering posting that requires a mech engineering degree and 5 years experience; if you answer no to the preliminary questions about having a degree or having 5 years engineering experience then the system could reject you automatically.
Glish21
AG
Cypress - Shoot me an email please with your resume.

sales@independentplastic.com
cypress-ag
AG
Glish21 said:

Cypress - Shoot me an email please with your resume.

sales@independentplastic.com
Just saw this. I'll shoot it over in the morning. Thanks
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
We are looking for someone with experience in this area to hunt down corporate accounts. We're a bit of a fast moving company which likes to scoop up Aggie 100 type awards- small operation now, but not for much longer.

www.ecozapphvac.com
- check out our Air Purifiers for 2020 -

cjo03
AG
Saw this posted on LinkedIn by another Ag... I giggled until I remembered this thread and that I see this stuff everywhere - including our own bathrooms.

Why not?

https://www.poopourri.com/pages/careers

Quote:

VP of Growth

About Poo~Pourri
In 2007, Suzy Btiz created Poo~Pourria natural, effective solution to a universal problem: sh*t happens, and it stinks. Since then, Poo~Pourri has rapidly grown to become way more than just an odor eliminating prodcut. Poo~Pourri has taken a shifta shift in bathroom routine, a shift in how things "should" be done, a shift in company routine, a shift in how things "should" be done, a shift in company culture and customer service standards. We're a company of fast-paced rule-breakers on a mission to find new paths to personal freedom. Our brand redefines how the world thinksand talks about taboos. Ignoring the status quo, our gutsy marketing and product innovations have won us many badass awards, including an Edison Award, Funniest Viral Video of the Year, and more. In a world full of fules, playing it safe, and "that can't be done," Poo~Pourri doesn't subscribe to that crap. We dream differently. Want to come play with us? Keep reading...

Are you the one?
Were you the kid with a lemonade stand who had a full-blown sales strategy and campaign behind it? Do you wonder why people say, "the sky's the limit" when there are other galaxies? Do you dream up the impossible and actually pull it off? Are inspiration and engagement just natural? Is positivity your only go-to drink? Do you believe the good guy always wins? Do you believe in the story that the small guys can and do win? Are you an extroverted and engaging yet sufficiently detail-oriented collaborator? Are you creative and resourceful? Do you value authenticity and self-development? Do you know how to play and have fun in our fast-paced, gutsy culture? If SO, we want YOU on our team!

Job DOOties
As VP of Growth you'll hit the ground running, already with extensive experience successfully selling just about anything and especially consumer packaged goods (CPG) with a specialty in personal care products through wholesale and retail, across all channels: mass retailers, shopping channels, department stores, specialty stores, catalog houses, drug stores, grocery stores, and boutiques (you know how to sell anywhere and everywhere).
  • Build incredible brands and deliver seemingly impossible results.
  • Create and grow relationships with buyers, reps and retailers to obtain the perfect home for our award-winning products on their shelves.
  • Use a hands-on, roll up your sleeves approach to inspire, motivate, train, manage and delegate to our national sales team plus collaborate with our international team.
  • Determine the company's sales strategy, including distribution, pricing, promotion, merchandising, category expansion, and category management/validation that you see fit for growing the brand into iconic status.
  • Create and be accountable for the budget and forecast, negotiate contracts, and plan and run tradeshows.
  • Work in partnership with our team to create and improve processes (because you not only sell, you also do what it takes to deliver).
  • Play the key "connector" role between Poo and retailers to ensure our strategies remain aligned at the highest levels and continue to drive disproportionate growth for each other.
  • Lead the execution of specific sales and marketing initiatives.
  • Play a key role in S&OP (sales and operations planning) process; ensure total clarity on forecast and plans that will materially affect the company's operating plan.
Required Skills
  • Time management (because time is money and more money means more office snacks)
  • Willing to put your noggin together with others and collaborate
  • Creative and doesn't even believe in a "box"
  • Detail-oriented and organized
  • Adaptable to fast-changing demandsat Poo HQ the only constant is change
  • Customer focused (they're the only reason any of us have a job, after all)
  • Proficient in Microsoft Office
  • Detail Oriented and Organized
  • Customer Focused
  • Proficient in Microsoft Office Excel, Power Point, Word, Outlook

YOU RE NOT A FIT FOR POO IF YOU:

• Think golf and drinks close our kind of deals
  • Feel the need to schmooze buyers (our product rocks and everyone needs it; end of the story)
  • Thrive in a corporate, structured environment

Physical Demands
Able to stand up to 25% of the day
Able to climb stairs
Able to work at a very fast pace for a long periods of time
Ability to travel up to 25%, or as needed

Perks
Creative, high-energy work environmentsitting still is hard for us
Award-winning marketing and kickass products
Employee discounts on products (you'll never have to smell your poop again...like ever)
Competitive pay and benefits
Healthy snacks available for when your stomach starts rumblin'
Bottomless lattes and sparkling waterif you aren't obsessed with Topo Chico yet, you will be!
Massage chair and relaxation room, for when you need a breather...and of course endless Poo jokes!
cypress-ag
AG
Dang I've been away from the job board moving my daughter into her apartment. Thanks folks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.