Job Network
Sponsored by

Aggie Southwest Pilots?

2,825 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nashvilleaggie11
SpiDer2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just reached the minimum flight time required to apply to Southwest! It's been my ultimate goal to fly there since I made the decision to change careers from agriculture to aviation. I can't tell you the excitement I feel getting to this milestone. Are there any Southwest Pilots who could share with me their tips and recommendations on how to fulfill this dream of getting hired? Feel free to PM me as well. Many thanks and Gig 'Em!
Naveronski
AG
Congratulations!
Ag13
AG
Curious what your path was to getting to this point? How long did your training take? I know nothing about aviation other than it seems like most pilots are former air force pilots so I'm curious. Congrats on the milestone.
southernskies
I saw on the news yesterday that there is a huge shortage for commercial pilots so good time to be you!

Some spokes person for the pilots association also said majority are not armed forces pilots, I was surprised too.
CenterHillAg
AG
It's a great time to be a commercial pilot, there's a need in every aviation sector. I made a similar jump from ag to ag aviation 2 years ago and love it. I can't help with any SW info, but I have a couple contacts with United that would be happy to talk to you if you want to look at a different airline.

Personally I think you're right to try Southwest!
fire09
AG
Direct to SW without turbine time will be tough. I don't know what you have in your logbook but assume timebuildinng was thru CFI / bug masher. Would recommend you concurrently apply thru regionals. Mesa has the e-jets and Houston based which is nice. Delta has the 'guaranteed' mainline funnel from their regionals. Enjoy the hotbeds for the first year.
SpiDer2008
AG
Thanks y'all!!

Ag13, I left my Ag job back in 2012. I completed my pvt pilot certificate while working there. Then left and completed a year and half internship which earned me a scholarship to earn all of my airplane ratings to become a flight instructor. After that I flight instructed for a little while and started flying for a 10 seat puddle jumping airline up in northern Missouri. When I reached my flight time required to achieve my Airline Transport Pilot Certificate I moved on to a regional jet airline where I am now and was able to get over 1,000 hrs jet time and be eligible for hire at Southwest. While it's been one heck of a journey to get this far, I wouldn't trade this ride Ive had for anything else I've done in my life. It's truly been a fun adventure and I am very blessed and fortunate to be able to pursue this dream of mine.
SpiDer2008
AG
Snooter
AG
Hiring window opened today...
HBCanine08
AG
Hey bud! I remember when you start training. Congrats!!

Keep chasing that ultimate goal and don't quit- been doing that myself with a major Japanese company in the Plano area
cjo03
AG
SpiDer2008 said:

Thanks y'all!!

Ag13, I left my Ag job back in 2012. I completed my pvt pilot certificate while working there. Then left and completed a year and half internship which earned me a scholarship to earn all of my airplane ratings to become a flight instructor. After that I flight instructed for a little while and started flying for a 10 seat puddle jumping airline up in northern Missouri. When I reached my flight time required to achieve my Airline Transport Pilot Certificate I moved on to a regional jet airline where I am now and was able to get over 1,000 hrs jet time and be eligible for hire at Southwest. While it's been one heck of a journey to get this far, I wouldn't trade this ride Ive had for anything else I've done in my life. It's truly been a fun adventure and I am very blessed and fortunate to be able to pursue this dream of mine.

Gotta love stories when hard work and sacrifices pay off. Good luck with SWA!
SpiDer2008
AG
Thanks!!! Submitted the app this morning! Not going to lie... I grinned a little when I checked "yes" to the box that asks if I meet their flight time minimums. I just have to be patient now!

HBCanine what's up buddy! Glad things are going well for you!! Tell Plano howdy for me!
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Hoping to be in your position a few years from now! Commercial checkride in two weeks then CFI school.
SpiDer2008
AG
Good luck! Make the best of it and always have fun. It's been my philosophy and I've enjoyed every minute of the journey! If you have any questions about anything definitely PM me.

Gig 'Em!
neAGle96
AG
That's awesome, congratulations!
nashvilleaggie11
My cousin's husband Is a southwest pilot and wrote a book called Cockpit 2 Cockpit...I believe it's more about transitioning from military to commercial but you may find parts of it helpful. He also seems to post when they are hiring on his social media.

http://www.cockpit2cockpit.com/about/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.