Job Network
Sponsored by

Dad (didn't go to A&M) in need of better job - Oil and Nat. Gas Proj. Manager

2,908 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sterlingkc
Sterlingkc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy guys,

For a year or so now, my Dad has been stuck in a job that he was forced to take that isn't paying nearly what he's worth, and on top of that he doesn't enjoy it at all. Just to give more background, last year me and 2 of my brothers were all in school, so he and my Mom had to pay tuition/rent for all 3 of us. One of us is graduating from Texas State but the other one is gonna be a sophomore in college. Furthermore, my Mom who has had multiple knee surgeries, has been forced to work (she's a flight attendant) despite the fact that she's in a lot of pain.

Bottom line is that we need help, and I hate asking for handouts, but I was hoping my A&M connection (I graduate in December fwi) could somehow help out. Just to give some background, my Dad has been a project manager in oil for 20+ years in the oil field with an MBA in business management, and recently has managed for natural gas companies. He also has experience in the engineering side as well.

Thanks in advance for helping and Gig em!
MouthBQ98
AG
I think there was a post that might be related to this a few days ago. Check some of the older postings.
nonameag99
Post way more info about your dad than the situation

aTm2004
AG
Quote:

last year me and 2 of my brothers were all in school, so he and my Mom had to pay tuition/rent for all 3 of us.
No they didn't. They're making sacrifices so you and your brothers can exit school debt free. Maybe while helping him find a better job, you and your brothers can begin paying your own tuition and/or living expenses.
Naveronski
AG
They're paying:
3x College Tuition
3x Rent in college towns
Unknown other living expenses and subsidies

Quote:

Bottom line is that we need help, and I hate asking for handouts,

I do not think this means what you think this means.
DRE06
AG
Look. I don't can't really say much because my parents paid my way, but you bet your ass I would have taken out a loan and started paying my own way if I knew my tuition and living expenses were putting my parents in a strained financial situation.
BrazosDog02
AG
Any of you fine Ags gonna help this fella out or are we just going to sit up here on the horse and kick him around a little bit and guilt him for the choices his awesome parents made? Asking for a friend.
handle234
OP - based on your post I'm convinced that your dad is a great guy, and you mom is great too, and there willing to make meaningful sacrifices to support their kids. Also pretty sure you are a good dude for being willing to rep your parents on this board.

I don't however know much about your dad, and so I think its hard for people to help.

What doesn't he like about the current job? What would he like to do? Does he need to earn top dollar or is he just looking for basic money? Location?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

Dad has been a project manager in oil for 20+ years in the oil field with an MBA in business management, and recently has managed for natural gas companies.
This is some hella experience and background to be in a financial pinch...
Ronnie
AG
Putting 3 kids through college at the same time will do that
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ronnie said:

That type of experience and background is easily a $250K/yr compensation. If the 3 kids is what broke the camel's back on this, it's time to look at the lifestyle more than the job.
BrazosDog02
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Ronnie said:

That type of experience and background is easily a $250K/yr compensation. If the 3 kids is what broke the camel's back on this, it's time to look at the lifestyle more than the job.
Our PM's with those credentials did not make anywhere close to what you supposed they make. I think it probably depends on the specific company. In fact, our PM's made maybe 160k. But I was with a service company.
Ulrich
IrishTxAggie said:

Ronnie said:

That experience description isn't specific enough to know how much the person makes... it should be pretty decent money though.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Do those PMs have a MBA in business management too?
OilFieldIRI
S
Crestwood Midstream Partners is looking for a Director of Project Development and System Planning based in Houston, TX.
Asking for 10+ years of project development experience, 5+ years of system planning experience, oil and gas experience, and masters degree preferred. Looks like your father fits the description. I don't know the salary but your father should check this position out.
Good luck and congratulations on graduating in December!
Sterlingkc
I misspoke; I've worked and helped pay for rent/tuition, but my other brothers aren't quite as driven (no disrespect) and haven't helped as much.
Sterlingkc
I've taken out loans for 3 years and have worked while going to school, but now that one of my brother's has graduated college, we're paying for my last semester out of pocket. (She's just tired of taking out loans & dealing with financial aid lol)
Sterlingkc
I appreciate that big dog!
Sterlingkc
He's just flat out not getting paid enough for the work he's putting in, and on top of that he doesn't enjoy it/the people there.
Sterlingkc
I'll spare the details, but my older brothers have made some decisions that have been less than ideal that have cost us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.