Job Network
Sponsored by

Changing fields

1,589 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Doug Glatt
Doug Glatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been working in a field non-specific to my major for the last 5 years and am looking to make a move to something new.

Does anyone have any advice on how to translate your skillset into something new that isn't exactly relatable? I seem to keep running to the same issues of not being qualified, not having the experience necessary, etc...
Dark Helmet
Depends on the field, really. Where are you coming from and what are you going to?
Bayside Tiger Ag
Depending on what you want to do, it may be worth getting your MBA.
Halconblack
AG
Changing fields is not necessarily difficult. However, if you expect to earn the same compensation in your current field based on a skill set that you have cultivated over time in a new and unrelated field then you need to ask yourself if that makes sense? Would you hire someone with no experience and pay them at the same rate as someone else with five years experience? Maybe you are already thinking that way and if you are, great. Best advice is this: Bet on yourself. Apply for internships, apply for entry level positions. Prove yourself in something you enjoy and you will move up quickly or have the skill set to find other jobs.
v/r
LHIOB
AG
Id hire you based on your handle
HollywoodBQ
AG
78bc3
AG
consider connecting with Former Student Career Services fscshelp@tamu.edu
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
Doug Glatt
AG
Thanks for the advice.

I'm in an ag industry and honestly don't have any one thing in particular in mind which is probably the biggest hurdle I'm facing.

Will definitely check with the career center, I'd say I'm pretty out of touch with the job searching/preparation process.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.