Job Network
Sponsored by

10 years in power plants, veteran (Navy) and now a Civil Engineer Degree from TAMU

1,727 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SidetrackAg
Hunter@CS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As an Engineer in Training (EIT) fresh out of school is it reasonable for me to ask for more money starting out than an EIT without experience or fresh out of school? A quick overview of my experience is below.

Thanks and Gig'em

Drew
Class of '19

Past Experience

Power Plants (Nuclear and Coal):

operations
maintenance
instruments and controls

07&09Ag
How are you providing more value to the company than a typical new grad? The answer to that will determine whether you can ask for more money.
oldarmy76
You will likely be paid more (slightly), but lots of people may see you as a tough fit. Coming in at an entry position, but older, there may be a concern about hunger and really being able to start at the bottom. I would try to find a place that is a good fit and allows you to grow. It's going to be more important to get good experience your first couple years with an eye on compensation 5 years out rather than trying to get every dollar right out of school
78bc3
AG
please contact me at Former Student Career Services ppausky78@aggienetwork.com
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
SWCBonfire
AG
Agree with oldarmy. Show you are willing to take on more responsibility due to your life experiences 1st.
Hunter@CS
AG
I would like to thank everyone who took the time to give their input.

Drew
Vivificus
AG
Are you trying to get into the energy industry? I'm not sure how many Civil opportunities there are going to be. You could probably find work with an engineering design firm.
Viv
Dark Helmet
Getting into an entry level position as someone older is tough, especially if you have prior experience that is greater than other applicants.

If you ask for more money as well as the employer to take a chance on you when they could get a young person at age 22 to do the job and be happy staying in the role for a longer period of time which will allow the organization to train and mold them they way they want, you're basically killing your chances. If anything, you'd have to lowball your salary requirements and hope they offer you more.

I tried that when I was younger. I was in a job I hated and applied to entry level jobs elsewhere with organizations I felt would offer more growth opportunity. I was almost uniformly rejected but when I managed to get an interview before being rejected I would ask them for feedback. They all said the same: too experienced, too educated, no experience in that industry.

Which was damning because they would say I was too experienced in the same conversation. They were rationalizing turning down an attractive candidate.
Hunter@CS
AG
@vivificus

I am looking at the water industry. Design, construction, and commissioning of water treatment facilities, pump station, etc. I foresee my experience helping a lot during these processes. Also, understanding the control side of things will help. I think being able to communicate with this crowd is another factor, they are old school types, I worked with this generation.

As far as power. I have looked into it but that is not where my passion is. I could re-enter the industry on the environmental side of things. I was involved with a few environmental retrofits to ensure emissions were at EPA standards. I also worked on all the instruments that monitored emissions. I generated all the weekly, monthly, semi-annual, annual reports. Wrote all the standard maintenance procedures concerning emissions.

@Dark Helmet

Thank you for your input. I understand your point and its a GREAT ONE. I have interviewed a couple of companies and not has been my experience. I will keep this in mind for sure!!

Again I would like to continue to thank everyone for their input!

Drew
texasag91
AG
My opinion, if it is worth anything, is that you are not over experienced for a new engineer. You are a prime candidate for hiring and should be compensated better than a 22 year old fresh out of college. Previous experience does mean something. Your experience does follow in line with what you want to do. If they can't see that as an employer then they might not be the right fit for you. Good luck.

Zobel
AG
jamaggie06
AG
Burns & McDonnell has a power group in addition to its Transmission & Distribution groups. Both of which may be good fits. Though, I dont if any offices outside of Kansas City have a power group.
AW 1880
AG
Shoot me an email at jwooten18 at yahoo dot com. I work for a large civil engineering firm that does work in both water and power sectors.
SidetrackAg
AG
nm
SidetrackAg
AG
Hunter@CS said:

@vivificus

I am looking at the water industry. Design, construction, and commissioning of water treatment facilities, pump station, etc. I foresee my experience helping a lot during these processes. Also, understanding the control side of things will help. I think being able to communicate with this crowd is another factor, they are old school types, I worked with this generation.

As far as power. I have looked into it but that is not where my passion is. I could re-enter the industry on the environmental side of things. I was involved with a few environmental retrofits to ensure emissions were at EPA standards. I also worked on all the instruments that monitored emissions. I generated all the weekly, monthly, semi-annual, annual reports. Wrote all the standard maintenance procedures concerning emissions.

@Dark Helmet

Thank you for your input. I understand your point and its a GREAT ONE. I have interviewed a couple of companies and not has been my experience. I will keep this in mind for sure!!

Again I would like to continue to thank everyone for their input!

Drew
https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/2970063
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.