Job Network
Sponsored by

Thoughts on this situation

1,540 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Vernada
Agfencer98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was recruited for a job (head of marketing) in January. Had a phone interview, thought it went well, but didn't hear a thing for a while. As in, last week of June. Then, I went and interviewed on Friday.

At first, told me they had 2 other people to interview the next week and they wod get back to me, then asked me 10 minutes later to stop back by the office (i was still around, assessing the company), where they offered me immediately.

I told them i was staying in town for the weekend, visiting friends, and that I was going to need benefits information, relocation, etc. To make a decision, but if I got it, I could get an answer for them early to mid this week. They did not do that until Monday afternoon, and only after I had the recruiter remind them.

I let them know that everything looked good and was sent an email with an offer letter very late Tuesday, which corrupted so I couldn't read it. I let the recruiter know and got another offer letter last night. I am having my phone blown up today basically asking why I haven't signed yet, etc. The package is amazing, but I'm starting to question the pressure they are trying to exert when I've had exactly one day to look at the offer letter (and I was going to have it back to them tonight). Much information that I had requested was only included in the offer letter and nothing else.

I understand that you don't want to let someone get away, or lose them to someone else, but this seems extreme - I just wanted others opinions as well.

Thanks in advance.
oldag941
AG
Sounds like they don't have their crap together on many levels. I'd be hesitant on diving in.
JamesPShelley
I would suggest that you've some leverage. Based upon your narrative, they played for you all their cards. Everything points in that direction, in my humble opinion.

You might consider asking for some perks. Extra vacation/PTO. If it's a bonus ($) situation maybe ask to have it increased ~%. Maybe extra hourly/salary $$. Sign-on bonus? Employer paid health insurance? Work from home once a week? Throw some of those on the wall and see which sticks... with your recruiter.

Run it by your recruiter. See which flag is raised. If already you're employed you might be able to afford some negotiation. Assume their offer is their minimum, there may be some wiggle room.

Best wishes!
Vernada
AG
I've been in a similar situation and it wasn't really as bad as it seemed on the surface.

It turned out that they had hired someone else for the role that flamed out within in a few weeks.

So there were two factors - they needed someone badly in the role. And then there was the recruiter - he was applying maximum pressure to sign to make sure that he locked in his commission.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.