Job Network
Sponsored by

Has anyone dealt with this situation? (New job not going well)

7,255 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Carlo4
HBCanine08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After relocating from Houston to DFW and being 6 months at my new job, I've learned that a lot of what was pitched to me during my interviews was BS. On top of that, I have a supervisor who micromanages, doesn't trust employees, and refuses to consider some our solutions to problems facing my team - some of these solutions would cost the company $0.00.

Between the time I interviewed in September 2017, and now, 8 employees have left my team - either transferring to other depts. or leaving the company. My coworker who was hired at the same time as I was hired has also expressed his regrets with leaving his old job for this one.

Also, my new company pays below market rates for salaries across the board. If I were to leave before my one year mark, I have to pay 100% of my relocation bonus (50% after 1 year), roughly 10K after taxes. I decided that it's not worth it to stick around, and I'll refund the money if I have to. I already updated my resume.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? Trying to suck it up as much as possible, but as others have said around here, it isn't sustainable. I'm concerned employers may have an issue with me applying for a job after not being here too long.
mm98
AG
Never been in that situation and sorry to hear. Only bit of advice pertains to your last statement...

I once had buyers remorse at a new company (company was good but just bad role for me) and when I began interviewing again, most hiring managers stated everyone gets a do-over once in a while. As long as you don't have a track record of frequent job hopping most should understand.
BrazosDog02
AG
What if you just get aggressive with improvements that cost nothing for your team? Do it anyway? Are you required to repay those costs if you are pushed out?

I'm asking because I've worked for those types of people. For me, it resulted in just doing absolutely nothing at all until micromanager gave the order. Zero innovation. Zero productivity until told to do it. It is not the kind of life you want.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I went to work for a certifiable crazy person after my last job had dissolved when the company sold/shut down. It was the longest 3 months of my life and your boss and him sound a lot a like. I tried like crazy to find another job but this was during the 08 recession so jobs were few and far between. I ended up just leaving. I would not and would not tolerate it anymore but was also borderline harassed and also asked to do numerous illegal things. Like mentioned above there is no reason to not look and just be honest in interviews that it isn't working out like you had hoped it would. Life is way way to short to be miserable.
Max06
AG
I'm in the same boat now, but want to relocate to San Antonio in/around May '19. I am trying to stick this out so I don't change jobs twice in 12 months and then relocate.
HollywoodBQ
AG
If you were in Houston, why in the H E double hockey sticks would you move to Dallas?

Anyway, I relocated from Austin to Denver in January 2000. I was promised all sorts of stuff that didn't come to pass. The biggest lie was that there would be plenty of work in Denver/Boulder/Springs and that I wouldn't have to travel out of town that often. Even after factoring out the parts that weren't true, the net was still positive.

With the turnover in your situation, it sounds like there's some bad corporate culture in play. Possibly bad leadership. The question is, can it be fixed?

As far as the relocation, a year isn't really that long to wait out. In my situation in Denver, they had two Sales Managers who they also relocated from Texas to Denver. On Day 366, they were both gone back to Texas. I stayed for 2 1/2 years until the company went out of business.
zooguy96
I moved from Austin to Fort Worth for a promotion and a 20% pay raise in 2014. My boss was a complete micromanager, and accused me of not doing / doing things when she was not present 80-90% of the time, and was basing it on what other employees said. Needless to say, I could see what was going on the first month or two, and started applying for jobs (teaching has always been my fall-back). When my 6-month probation was almost up, I was laid off, and had another job within a week (as I had interviewed for quite a few teaching positions). I lost 30 lbs due to stress.

Needless to say, start applying now and get the hell out of there. Not worth it to be in a position that sucks.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Southside AG
AG
Best of luck to you. I'm afraid of this situation as I'm looking for a new job due to a pending layoff. What would you ask to ensure this wouldn't happen again? How can you tell before hand. I just interviewed for a great position however I'm concerned I haven't asked the right questions to determine all the facts. Any learnings you could share?
YellAgs
AG
Find a new job. DFW is huge and should have plenty.

Once youre close to securing new job, become ornery and create havoc.
powerbelly
AG
What line of work are you in? We are hiring like crazy right now in Dallas.
cledus6150
AG
Damn sorry to hear that
Goose06
AG
This happened to me in a way once. I was hired to help take a company public. I get there and they are already full steam ahead on a sale process with no intent on going public. I left less than six months in. I had to pay back my sign on bonus and the biggest kick to the nuts was I had to pay it back in full even though I had only received the after tax portion. Got the taxes back on my refund check 9 months later, but it was a lot of money for me at the time.
Naveronski
AG
What industry are you in?
powerbelly
AG
Naveronski said:

What industry are you in?
Software.
HBCanine08
AG
Thanks for that feedback. I don't like job hopping, but there's no way the current situation is sustainable in the long term.
HBCanine08
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

What if you just get aggressive with improvements that cost nothing for your team? Do it anyway? Are you required to repay those costs if you are pushed out?

I'm asking because I've worked for those types of people. For me, it resulted in just doing absolutely nothing at all until micromanager gave the order. Zero innovation. Zero productivity until told to do it. It is not the kind of life you want.
I've talked to my team about implementing some improvements in our process "without rocking the boat too much". Problem is that if/when my supervisor finds out, she will want to know why I didn't consult with her and then I have to sit through another cross-examination with her.

I agree with your statement. She takes out all motivation from the team when anyone of us makes suggestions or offers up a new idea.
HBCanine08
AG
Thanks. I agree. I've told my coworker that life is too short to stick around here and be miserable.
HBCanine08
AG
That stinks. Good luck.
HBCanine08
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

If you were in Houston, why in the H E double hockey sticks would you move to Dallas?

Anyway, I relocated from Austin to Denver in January 2000. I was promised all sorts of stuff that didn't come to pass. The biggest lie was that there would be plenty of work in Denver/Boulder/Springs and that I wouldn't have to travel out of town that often. Even after factoring out the parts that weren't true, the net was still positive.

With the turnover in your situation, it sounds like there's some bad corporate culture in play. Possibly bad leadership. The question is, can it be fixed?

As far as the relocation, a year isn't really that long to wait out. In my situation in Denver, they had two Sales Managers who they also relocated from Texas to Denver. On Day 366, they were both gone back to Texas. I stayed for 2 1/2 years until the company went out of business.
My former employer was not doing well. I could see the writing on the wall and wanted to get out. I interviewed for a few jobs in Houston, and came close to getting an offer in Houston, but it never worked out. When this opportunity came up, I took it. On paper, it was a lot better than where I was working.

I honestly do not think it can be fixed. We had a dept. meeting with the head of our dept. last week and he asked what our thoughts were on the turnover rate. Everyone knew why (leadership not listening, below market salaries, lack of flexibility to work from home), but not many were open/honest about it.

I'll suck it up as much as I can and try to stick it out for a year, but if a better opportunity presents itself then I will take it.
HBCanine08
AG
zooguy96 said:

I moved from Austin to Fort Worth for a promotion and a 20% pay raise in 2014. My boss was a complete micromanager, and accused me of not doing / doing things when she was not present 80-90% of the time, and was basing it on what other employees said. Needless to say, I could see what was going on the first month or two, and started applying for jobs (teaching has always been my fall-back). When my 6-month probation was almost up, I was laid off, and had another job within a week (as I had interviewed for quite a few teaching positions). I lost 30 lbs due to stress.

Needless to say, start applying now and get the hell out of there. Not worth it to be in a position that sucks.
Like you, I started noticing things in my first month or two. Things became clearer when we lost more folks.

Thanks for the encouragement.
HBCanine08
AG
Southside AG said:

Best of luck to you. I'm afraid of this situation as I'm looking for a new job due to a pending layoff. What would you ask to ensure this wouldn't happen again? How can you tell before hand. I just interviewed for a great position however I'm concerned I haven't asked the right questions to determine all the facts. Any learnings you could share?
I did learn something that someone pointed out to me. During my interview with my direct supervisor, I asked how the position open up and under what circumstances. Her response was that the previous attorney was poached by one of our customers because they liked her and her work so much. That was it. Later I learned that it wasn't true. She simply got a better offer for a higher salary.

When I told the story to a coworker, she said that the "being poached" response is of concern because why didn't the company try to keep that person instead of letting them leave? Definitely ask why the position opened up and if the company tried to retain that person.

Also, if you are able, try to talk to people in the dept in which you will work in. Try to get honest/frank answers about their supervisors.
HBCanine08
AG
powerbelly said:

I am an in-house attorney. Occasionally referred to a "corporate generalist attorney". The plus about moving up here is that a lot of companies have their HQs based in this area.
powerbelly
AG
HBCanine08 said:

powerbelly said:

I am an in-house attorney. Occasionally referred to a "corporate generalist attorney". The plus about moving up here is that a lot of companies have their HQs based in this area.
We don't have any openings right now, but I will keep my ear to the ground.
HBCanine08
AG
Thanks
zooguy96
HBCanine08 said:

zooguy96 said:

Like you, I started noticing things in my first month or two. Things became clearer when we lost more folks.

Thanks for the encouragement.

You'll be fine. I've taught for the last 3.5 years, and I hate teaching. Been applying for the past year, and no real job possibilities. Trying to build network and make connections during the summer, as it's almost impossible during the school year.

I have no real hope of getting a different job any time soon, so I focus on becoming a better teacher and the impact I can make on the kids.

Keep a positive attitude and do the best you can.
Ragoo
AG
where in east tennessee are you? what kind of jobs you applying for?
zooguy96
Ragoo said:

Knoxville area. Mostly looking for training, administrative (coordinator/bookkeeper), or environmental consulting positions. Don't know what else I'd be qualified for. Thought about insurance adjusting. Undergrad in Wildlife, grad degree in Education - curriculum and instruction.
Ragoo
AG
zooguy96 said:

Ragoo said:

Knoxville area. Mostly looking for training, administrative (coordinator/bookkeeper), or environmental consulting positions. Don't know what else I'd be qualified for. Thought about insurance adjusting. Undergrad in Wildlife, grad degree in Education - curriculum and instruction.
http://www.mastercraft.com/employment/detail/40
zooguy96
Crazy, have a contact that works there. I tutor one of his kids. I'll ask him about that. Thanks!
Ragoo
AG
zooguy96 said:

Crazy, have a contact that works there. I tutor one of his kids. I'll ask him about that. Thanks!
i expect employee discount on my next boat purchase!

working for mastercraft in Vonore would be the absolute dream.
zooguy96
Our house we are buying is closer to Vonore anyhow.

I love Sloan's in Vonore. Where else can you buy guns, firearms, groceries, and hardware out of a gas station? OB person's dream!
752bro4
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Also, my new company pays below market rates for salaries across the board. If I were to leave before my one year mark, I have to pay 100% of my relocation bonus (50% after 1 year), roughly 10K after taxes. I decided that it's not worth it to stick around, and I'll refund the money if I have to. I already updated my resume.

1) Compensation - you knew it was below market when you accepted the job, and still accepted the job.

2) If you're underpaid but worried about paying back $10k - go find a job that pays market and pay back the $10k. In the grand scheme of things, $10k is not a lot of money if you're miserable. If another job doesn't pay enough to do this, then you're being paid market/your worth.
schmellba99
AG
I was in a similar position once, with a few differences.

I hired on with an engineering firm that dabbles in the construction world when my wife and I moved back to Houston from Phoenix. Interviews went great, all the right things were said, seemed like a really great place to be.

Reality turned out to be different. My first project was actually in San Antonio - but that was made clear up front and I knew going into everything that I'd be on the road during the week and back home on the weekends. Not ideal, but doable and the project was only 7 or so months in duration. The other manager and I worked out a deal (he lived in DFW) that one of us would be at the job site first thing on Monday, but that same week whomever was the Monday morning person left at noon on Friday. That worked well, we always had coverage, job went along and we had full weekends.

When I hired on, it was conveyed to me that Houston was my base and that after the SA project I'd be working in the Houston area. That turned out to be where the BS started - my next project was in Rio Grande City. And there was no deal where I came in late on Monday or left early on Friday - and my per diem didn't extend to weekends either. So I ended up flying home every weekend, and my weekends were 1.5 days long since I had to fly back out on Sunday afternoon. It got old, fast. It became clear that while I may have a house and family in Houston, the plans for me were that I'd rarely be there - next project that they talked to me about was in Weslaco. That wasn't what I signed up for or moved back for. Plus the upper managers there, while not bad guys, just didn't have the right mentality for contracting IMO - they were far to engineering minded and tended to not be open to a lot of ideas, methods or different ways of doing things. Very close minded in some aspects, very clique-ish as well with respect to the personnel groups there. Smart people, good people - just different and not well suited for some of the work we were doing.

Like you, they helped me pay for my move with a 1 time relocation allowance and a 2 year guarantee. I left on my 1 year anniversary, so I had to pay back 50% of it. Luckily the company I went to offered to pay that for me as part of my hiring bonus, no length of service guarantee required. I just happened to mention when they made me my offer that I'd need a few days to think about it since leaving my current company was going to cost me - they asked what I meant by that, I explained the situation to them, they immediately offered to cover the check I would have to write to my old company. So you may bring that up with any future companies you talk to.

I actually took a smidge of a pay cut when I ended up leaving. One of the perks of the engineering firm was pay and health coverage - both were near the top end of the curve I have to admit. But, int he long run, a few grand a year isn't the end of the world and being home every night and being able to be a father to my then very young kids was well worth the little bit of money I gave up in salary. Time was worth far more to me.
John Francis Donaghy
HBCanine08 said:

powerbelly said:

Legal market in DFW is saturated, like pretty much everywhere else. But, there's also a ton of growth and hiring going on. Not a terrible place to be all things considered.

I'm not all that far removed from an active job search, and old resumes that I still have floating around town from a year or two ago are yielding far more calls now, than they ever did back when I actually was actually looking.

I'll keep an ear out for you.
HBCanine08
AG
1. I knew the compensation going in, but I figured that the good environment that was pitched to me in my interviews would make up for it. At least in the short term.

2. That's been the plan so far.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.