Job Network
Sponsored by

Thoughts on why my boss asked me too

4,507 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Krazykat
OldSoully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Provide him a list of all my job responsibilities by the end of the week?

He said he was just going to place it in my folder but I'm curious if they might be another reason why he asked. Thoughts?
powerbelly
AG
This is the first step to getting a seat at the table.

Congrats bro!
FC12
About to get a promotion to full time vacation...
Seriously, you need to ask why and ask right now. May help you tailor your response regarding your duties.
Ulrich
I've done this several times and it has always been neutral. Once they wanted it in case I left or switched positions, multiple times it was prep for performance reviews.

It could be bad, but it could also be routine housecleaning so don't panic.
500,000ags
AG
Only you know your company and group performance.

If its good and good, you're good.

If its bad and bad, you're probably, well, you know.

In all seriousness, good luck to you.

Ryan34
AG
FC12 said:

About to get a promotion to full time vacation...
Seriously, you need to ask why and ask right now. May help you tailor your response regarding your duties.

I wouldn't recommend being territorial with job duties. If your head is on the chopping block, it's too late anyways. Or, perhaps they're looking to free the OP's time to take on different assignments. Either way, getting defensive isn't a good idea IMO.
FC12
I wasn't advocating for being defensive. But he 100% should ask why regarding the request. It may allow him to dive deeper into specific duties he is doing rather than a gloss over.
BrazosDog02
AG

OP....is your name Peter?
C5Aggie03
AG
Probably not a good thing since you are worried about it. Fill it out but make sure to brush up on your resume, you're going to need it soon.
OldSoully
No...?

It's obviously OP.
BrazosDog02
AG
As a serious reply, they did this for us many years ago, since NO ONE actually does what their 'job duties' usually say verbatim, we all just copied the exact duties from the formal 'job title responsibilities" page and then paraphrased and tailored exactly what we did to that. Don't lie, but don't be modest either. This is not the place to be modest. Let your co-worker be modest.
thirty-two
AG
I will periodically check in with my team to provide me some %s of where they spend their time... could be tactical, day-to-day stuff, projects, time spent supporting the product lines they own, etc. I also inquire about how many hours per week they spend in meetings. I do this to better understand if I need to better balance workload between my staff, or if I can justify asking for another resource, etc.

However, when I do this, I am upfront as to why I am asking. Otherwise, it has the potential to cause unnecessary concern.
AggieOO
Got a somewhat similar request from my boss a while back. She actually asked the entire team to break down their week and how much time was being spent on each task.

She ended up using the data to higher ups to show that we were spread too thin and that processes sucked, which caused us to spend too much time found admin BS. Ended up getting additional headcount approved and added to the team, and got some internal processes changed.

It's not always a bad thing.
AggieStan
To. Not too
cypress-ag
AG
My only experience was a bad one as they outsourced me with two people and paid them much less. I literally wrote them the training manual for my new hires.
Belton Ag
AG
Ulrich said:

I've done this several times and it has always been neutral. Once they wanted it in case I left or switched positions, multiple times it was prep for performance reviews.

Unless his boss is a total dick, he probably would have told him it wasn't a bad thing and not to panic.
Premium
AG
cypress-ag said:

My only experience was a bad one as they outsourced me with two people and paid them much less. I literally wrote them the training manual for my new hires.

Sorry for your loss, but it does seem like a good idea for the company. I may or may not be attempting this same thing over the next 3-6 months.

And here's the thing. There are some things I do and don't like about the people in their current role, but if they quit my area would be SOL. If we don't document and have an easy training process I have no leverage on those things I don't like. This is about 1) making sure we are not SOL should they leave and 2) create leverage to push back harder on the undesirable things. A side bonus, should it be needed, would be the ability to replace with lower level people more easily.

And my reasoning to everyone is true. We are trying to create and document training and processes to free up their time so they can do higher level things - and not the mundane easy things. If they get on board there is room to move up or parallel to other things. If they don't get on board it won't end well for them.
Ulrich
Belton Ag said:

Ulrich said:

Unless his boss is a total dick, he probably would have told him it wasn't a bad thing and not to panic.
Sure, but his boss has a motive to keep him from panicking whether he's preparing to fire OP or not.

That's why OP is here asking us, because when you're 23 and have never been through any of this before it helps to get a neutral perspective. From that perspective, "whatever your boss said is probably true" may be a correct answer but still not helpful. There's also some weight in that "probably", because there are plenty of people who are willing to share the time that "probably" didn't come through for them.

I think I started the same exact thread a few years ago. This is the advice that would have been best for me.
GrayMatter
AG
OldSoully said:

Provide him a list of all my job responsibilities by the end of the week?

He said he was just going to place it in my folder but I'm curious if they might be another reason why he asked. Thoughts?
I always thought that was rather an odd question. There's something wrong when your boss doesn't know your responsibilities. Sure sign of not enough communication to me is what I see.
78bc3
AG
If you are earning your paycheck each day this is most likely a good thing for you. It is amazing how many organizations do not know their processes. This may well be a check. what id done vrs. what someone thinks is being done. If you identify the work you perform and it doesn't align with what they think is performed there is obvious opportunity/ need to adjust. You may be doing more or less than expected. Adjust up if needed. Earn credit if you are doing more than they thought. It is a great reminder for who your customers are and their expectations.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I'm trying to reconcile this thread and the other thread. I can't tell if OP is getting axes or getting promoted?
Dandy 76
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

OP....is your name Peter?
What would you say you do here???????
AG
Your boss ought to know what your job responsibilities are.

My experience tells me you should start looking now. That's a chicken **** request and he's setting you up. What a dick move.

If he's trying to justify canning you, he should have the balls to talk to you like a man and tell you what's up. If he's considering you for promotion or review, he should tell you WHY he's asking for it. Common courtesy.

Your boss has no balls.

Corporate America is run by a bunch of sheep these days.

I'd say start looking and move on. You'll probably look back on it in the near future and be glad you did.
Krazykat
AG
Working on that job posting to find your replacement.

Sorry for your loss.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.