Job Network
Sponsored by

Interview Promptness Question

1,466 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zemira
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I applied for a position and was asked if I could come in on Monday. I said sure, they asked what time I said 10am (so I could avoid traffic mostly).

Anyhow I arrived at 9:50, took me 10 minutes to find someone in the office to let them know I'm here. They said okay and left. It is almost 10:15. I generally don't mind waiting but the office seems empty, I don't know much about the company or if anyone is here.

I guess my question is if no comes back, how long should I wait?

It's just weird.
Zemira
AG
Okay half an hour and finally some different person comes out and is like are you waiting for someone.

So I said I'm here for the interview and to see so and so. They are like umm, do you have a resume? I so give them a copy of my resume. I don't have high hopes for this job, but at least they came back eventually?

I don't have anything else going on this morning so I guess I will stay.
Zemira
AG
I got my hopes up I guess no one ever came back. It's been over an hour since I arrived and an hour since my appointment time. It is not looking good.

Probably going to bail shortly.
Dr. Nefario
If no one shows up, invoice them for your time.
Zemira
AG
Well I finally spent 5 minutes with some girl who didn't have a clue. She's like you need to fill out an application online and then we will schedule an interview.

Wasn't that what I did?

I'm amused at their incompetence and frustrated.
03_Aggie
Who contacted you to set up the interview? Someone within the company or third party recruiter?
AtlAg05
AG
Sounds like you dodged a bullet by NOT interviewing for that company.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Zemira said:

Well I finally spent 5 minutes with some girl who didn't have a clue. She's like you need to fill out an application online and then we will schedule an interview.

Wasn't that what I did?

I'm amused at their incompetence and frustrated.
Should name blast the company to spare anyone else the waste of time.
Zemira
AG
I finally realized it's a tiny company and I'm just going to avoid them.

No excuse for being tiny, but definitely wasted a couple of hours. Apparently the gentleman I spoke to on the phone and was setup to meet this morning had a week of vacation scheduled this week. I'm going to guess he meant to schedule for next Monday. Apparently that was the reason I sat for so long is he was on vacation and no one in the office knew I was coming. So they were trying to get ahold of him and gave up after I had been waiting forever.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Before you give up on a tiny company, consider the person who invited you and give them a chance. There are great opportunities and experience to be gained from some places.

I just switched, from huge to small. Got work on my desk that I could not even get near in the other place.
Zemira
AG
Yes I have cooled off since I was frustrated this morning at being basically abandoned in the reception area for a few hours.

I finally got to speak to someone else and realized the guy I spoke to and was supposed to be meeting wasn't there. I am going to see about contacting him once he is back from vacation. It could have been an honest mistake, just the company sort of dropped the ball when they had no idea what to do with me
Aggie Q
AG
This may be a bit unpopular take, but this could have simply been an honest mistake. On one hand you could just say "whew! dodged a bullet working there!" but on the other hand, you could just wait for him to get back from vacation, explain the situation to him, show up next week when he's back and you'll have earned a ton of respect for not backing away from the opportunity even if it was momentarily uncomfortable, which could give you an upper hand moving forward.

In general, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and allow for the infrequent slip-up - which are not necessarily indications of a bad company. When they start stringing together a series of slip-ups then that's when you know to back away slowly.
terradactylexpress
Another take on this could be a learning experience. If you had known the name of the guy you are interviewing with and said I have an interview with so and so someone would have probably remembered that he was on vacation before you had been there for an hour
Zemira
AG
Oh I told them I had an interview with so and so at which time they promptly left and till another person came out and asked.

They had a reception area with chairs, but no desk or person so it was a bit odd to say the least. It took me talking to four people to get the information that person who scheduled the interview was on vacation and out of the office.

I would have left if the first person had told me that the guy was on vacation. It's just no one told me until I asked the girl (third person I spoke to) who told me I needed to fill out an application and submit a resume (something I had done over a week before) that I would like to speak to some sort of HR person as I was called and then emailed to be there for this interview at 10am and by that time it was 11:15 or so.

Finally the office manager let me know so and so was on vacation and I would need to apply and contact him for an interview. I again explained I had previously applied online via a job board and submitted my resume. So and so had called me last week and asked if I could come in for an interview on Monday to which I agreed. Apparently he failed to mention this to anyone else in the office (I'm assuming he got his dates mixed up) so they were all totally clueless.

I'm not really sure other than being more aggressive how I could have communicated I was there for an interview with the guy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.