Job Network
Sponsored by

Taking a resume in person - yes or no? [Details included]

2,328 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GuitarAg08
PFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should I drop off my resume in person? Details about the office and job:

- I've applied on-line
- Confirmed with a recruiter that my application was received
- Small-ish corporate headquarters. I believe less than 100 employees in office based on cars in the parking lot.
- I've had contact with Aggies inside the building.

Can it hurt? Will it help? Looking for a way to get a little more edge in with my application.

If I do drop off a resume and cover - how would you try and help move it past the from secretary? Tag it with the name of the Aggie contact I've made inside? Or is this a drop off and hope kind of scenario?

Any input would be helpful.
Woods Ag
AG
What position? If it's sales/BD, probably any position, I think it shows your a go getter and would be a plus. Gives you an opportunity to leave s good impression.

Who's the HR manager or your potential boss. LinkedIn may be able to help find them. I'd go to the front desk and ask for them.

PFG
AG
Not sales.

Internal support for bus. ops/ bus. analyst

Goose06
AG
I've never done it, but if I was going to do it in your situation, I'd either (1) put the resume and cover letter in an envelope with the Aggie contacts name on it or (2) put who you think a decision maker type would be for the role (manager level or up in the same vertical as the position, but not an executive) or (3) both of the above
Goose06
AG
Maybe it's just me, but I would not want a random job candidate stopping by the office asking to see me with no appointment. I'd be much more open if that person left a resume and asked for the opportunity to meet for coffee or lunch and network in their cover letter.
Petrino1
I agree with the above Comment. Dropping off your resume in person looks desperate especially after already applying and speaking with the recruiter. The hiring manager or recruiter May see this as a red flag. I know I Would.

Your best bet is to either wait or see if your Aggie connections can share your resume with the hiring manager. Second best bet is to find the hiring manager on LinkedIn and message him/her directly with your resume.

BrazosDog02
AG
Agreed. It looks separate. I've done this. At the time I was exactly that...desperate. I'd convinced myself that if you are going to be a small company and ask for resumes then you damn well better suit up and give me a response one way or the other and Not make me call and email after radio silence.

My point is, you look desperate or aggressive and neither is likely good.
PFG
AG
Quote:

I would not want a random job candidate stopping by the office asking to see me with no appointment

I no universe would I entertain showing up unannounced and looking for face time with someone I've never met beyond an e-mail exchange.

My thought was to drop off resume and cover in an envelope tagged to the hiring team or the department where the job is located.

Sounds like this would be a bad look, so I'll let the corporate wheels turn as they may.
Petrino1
PFG, if you do that chances are your resume never makes it to the manager. It will likely get thrown in the trash or mixed in with all the other resumes of people trying to do the same thing. The only way to make sure your resume gets shown to the manager is to reach out directly on Linkedin or ask a connection in the company to pass along your resume to the manager.

Yes, I think your best bet is to wait and let the process work itself out.
Synopsis
ea1060 said:

PFG, if you do that chances are your resume never makes it to the manager. It will likely get thrown in the trash or mixed in with all the other resumes of people trying to do the same thing. The only way to make sure your resume gets shown to the manager is to reach out directly on Linkedin or ask a connection in the company to pass along your resume to the manager.

Yes, I think your best bet is to wait and let the process work itself out.

LinkedIn is a solid approach.
PFG
AG
Quote:

LinkedIn is a solid approach.

Any tips on the best way to use LinkedIn to connect? I've got an account set up, search for people within the company, then send a request to connect along with a short message.

Anything I'm missing?
koadie
AG
So, having done this before twice, and landed both jobs, I feel like I can chime in.

I waited several weeks after applying and not hearing back from anyone to do it both times.

The first time I asked for the hiring manager, that was frowned upon, and luckily still got the job.

The second time I left a resume and cover for the hiring manager as well as a personal note for them, which was much better received.

Eph: 2:8
PFG
AG
Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to let this play out with the recruiter for another week. Based on some of my communications, I question the recruiters basic organization/comm skills, but they appear to be the gate keeper.

If nothing comes of it, I'll try the drop off with a note route.

Did you ever try connecting on LinkedIn?
koadie
AG
Over the last year or so I've been hunting to get into the private sector.

I've connected with several people in the O&G industry at the companies I've applied for via linkedin, however, one was willing to speak with me, and another just wished me luck. All others were unresponsive.

It's a luck of the draw kind of thing from my experience.

PFG
AG
Thanks. I'll keep pushing send.

And isn't this a bummer:

Quote:

It's a luck of the draw kind of thing from my experience
koadie
AG
You have no idea.

Especially when you know you're qualified, and just want a little assistance on the back end.

GuitarAg08
AG
I don't think it would hurt. I've had great luck with this before (at smaller companies), although It was for a sales position, which is a trait some hiring managers might like to see in a salesman.

In my experience, if you don't have someone on the inside getting your resume pushed to the top of the pile, your chances of getting hired goes down quite a bit. I'd say give it a shot, maybe have your resume and cover letter ready, stop by and say you were just wanting to introduce yourself and put a name with a face. Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.