Job Network
Sponsored by

Pay raises as a result of new tax legislation

2,012 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
OldSoully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm interested to see how many of you have received pay raises or bonuses since the new tax legislation was implemented? What industry/field of work are you in?
SidetrackAg
AG
I aint get sht
koadie
AG
I mean I got less taxes taken out of my check.

Eph: 2:8
mm98
AG
My check went up about $80 every two weeks.

Curious what it looks like when I file in 9 months.
The Collective
AG
No actual pay raises due to legislation. Still a tight economy for our business. Insurance is squeezing our labor costs.
TX scallywAG
AG
My wife's went up about $50 per month.

... then the health insurance went up slightly.

There goes my free monthly Chillis dinner.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
IrishTxAggie
AG
20% off the top! Thanks S Corp!
IrishTxAggie
AG
No 2 teas for you...
aTm2004
AG
My company upped the 401k match instead.
cjo03
AG
most individual employees should have seen reduced withholdings.. many big companies are still evaluating how they might modify benefit programs.. the law negatively impacts commuter benefits, subsidized cafeterias, certain types of awards, etc. and multinationals are still paying close attention to other in-flight tariffs and the impacts those may have on their business before any sort of new employee benefit commitments are made.
500,000ags
AG
Everyone got 15% raises - per the Politics forum.
Turkey
AG
Both my and my wife's "take home" amount went up (a little) due to decreased withholding. After I got my 2017 taxes done in March, I finally got around to looking into the new tax law in April. I discovered that in our situation, for our withholding to roughly equal our projected tax liability (that's my preference), our withholding would have needed to stay the same (not be reduced). So then we both had to increase our withholding quite a bit to make up the difference over the remaining 7 months of the year. In my adult lifetime, this is the third or forth time that I wished it was illegal for employers to change an employee's income tax withholding without the consent of the employee.
cjo03
AG
Turkey said:

wished it was illegal for employers to change an employee's income tax withholding without the consent of the employee.

not your employers fault.. employer was legally required to update withholding % by 2/15... they didn't have a choice. but employees do have a choice to dial-up or down allowances/withholding.
JMac03
AG
Mine went up ever so slightly due to the witholding stuff. I work for the state, we aren't getting *****

I heard from my tax lady that we won't be able to claim meals as a business expense (on my side gig). She said that could cause a bunch of issues for businesses, big and small. I hadn't heard that elsewhere, so not sure about it.
TexasAggie73
AG
But, but , but, they where saying that businesses would pass on their tax saving to the employees, everybody would win, everything would be great. Lol. Now the tariffs will cost everyone more.
IrishTxAggie
AG
The politics board is that way... >
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.